Death Penalties

How about having items which either makes you get burdened more or less when you die but the ones that give you more of a burden are always better than average items of the same level and vise versa. This would work best for an XP loss, gold loss or period of weakness etc.

another thing would be to give kill streaks or something similar which makes your character better overall and is lost if you die. the kill streak could add "points" instead of the number of kills so the better the creature, the more points it's worth. Players could be worth points too depending on their stats and history.
Second in Command of PoE Clan - The Exiled
www.theexiledclan.org
The more simple way to deal with it the better.
It's a simple thing after all.
Bang and you are dead :>

Ppl must know in 2 sec what they have just lost.
Whether it will be experience, items and/or advancement (spawn back in town).
More deliberate way to 'hide' it like no exp penalty on death just penalty on next exp gained, more puzzled ppl will be why that friggin exp are moving so slow, and more importantly, I'm gonna use gambler comparison since we are dealing with addiction here :D, when you lose exp on death, you could always say to yourself 'I'm gonna make up for it now'.
When you get exp gain penalty it could be harder for ppl to motivate themselves that way.
Same as gambler who lost $ he has put on a stake, he would probably go on and try to regain it.
If he wouldn't lose money and instead he was being penalized with 'you have 50% less chance on winning from now on' he would probably just quit playing.

With instant penalty on death you could focus yourself on going on not reliving the moment.
"
ness wrote:
The more simple way to deal with it the better.
It's a simple thing after all.
Bang and you are dead :>

Ppl must know in 2 sec what they just lost.
Whether it will be experience, items and/or advancement (spawn back in town).
More deliberate way to 'hide' it like no exp penalty on death just penalty on next exp gained, more puzzled ppl will be why that friggin exp are moving so slow, and more importantly, I'm gonna use gambler comparison since we are dealing with addiction here :D, when you lose exp on death, you could always say to yourself 'I'm gonna make up for it now'.
When you get exp gain penalty it could be harder for ppl to motivate themselves that way.
Same as gambler who lost $ he has put on a stake, he would probably go on and try to regain it.
If he wouldn't lose money and instead he was being penalized with 'you have 50% less chance on winning from now on' he would probably just quit playing.

With instant penalty on death you could focus yourself on going on not reliving the moment

I do see where you're coming from here and I guess you're right. I do believe that my idea has some sort of merits to be changed around. But then again, I guess that's why I'm not a game developer
www.theexiledclan.org
Ok - I'm lazy to read 40+ pages of suggestions, so I'm just combining and rehashing some of the ideas I skimmed through and liked into a hybrid:

1) Vahss3 suggests a kind of limbo for xp points that has an upper limit (can't keep losing more and more) and can be earned back or comes back automatically over time.
2) Apocalypse23x suggests a temporary weakness that can be worked off (rather than a set in stone penance period).
3) Shark suggests kill streaks that build up as a reward for living and are lost when you die.
4) Oxid suggests temporary unconsciousness and reawaken in same spot.

I like all of these ideas as they are all kind of negative reinforcement (stop giving good) rather than punishment (take away good or give bad) and that avoids demotivating.

If kill streaks were not overboard, but basically enabled you to consistently get between X% and Y% extra experience as you continue to fight (and that becomes the standard rate to expect and maintain during big battles)... then you'd really want to avoid losing that streak and yet wouldn't feel too cheated if you did die and lose it as no tangible xp is taken away from you and it's up to you to build the streak rate back up again by battling.

But I'd like to combine this with some sort of temporary character damage (such as lack of strength and range) that has a natural time limit, but can be worked off because this strength/range penalty reduces with each successful kill (for example in parallel with xp so that you want to kill stronger monsters to reduce your penalty quicker).

This would allow the player to get straight back into the fight and not lose adrenaline or hard core game time, but they wouldn't necessarily want to charge straight back into the boss horde like a lunatic. The hungover/wounded character would have to be a bit more cautious until they've worked off their hangover kind of thing. The hangover penalty should also have a max limit so you don't get weaker and weaker indefinitely if you're stuck in a tough spot and keep getting killed - after passing out a few times you would level off at a kind of Ozzy Osbourne zone and keep dragging your carcass to the door for a breather.

My opinion is that respawning in town is not necessary in this case because that would suggest you SHOULD lose your body and all your stuff and start from scratch again and nobody wants that (right!?). Gold loss, etc, etc is also irrelevant because you stay in the battle area - you've just been out cold for a second and are a bit shaken up... no permanent loss of anything. Permanent loss of anything (even a bit of gold) is punishment and punishment in a game sucks.

For that reason I also like Oxid's idea of a (very short) period of unconsciousness that is just enough time for monsters to leave you the hell alone, but not long enough for adrenaline to wear off while you stress out about what to do next and figure out an exit strategy (or a peripheral kill strategy).

I know the "nothing realistic about it..." argument bla bla bla... but there's a difference between realism and believability. Of course the game is not realistic... but respawning in town upon dying or just dropping a few gold coins and nothing else are not believable IN THE GAME WORLD... passing out for a minute - waking up a bit groggy, and then fighting your blues away seems much more believable to me IN THE GAME WORLD... and is far more consistent with the tone of the exiled loner character this game centres around.
Gonna be politically incorrect here...forgive me...

When you die...a bunch of maori's should come and steal X% of your items, with +y% of them successfully stealing anything shiney, anything they can sell on trademe, or anything their cousin's need.

Kiora mate! :D
The Exiled Clan
www.exiledclan.org

Recruiting all new players now!
Wow. I see you have put a large amount of work into this and I appreciate how you acknowledged my idea. Cheers shenlong. Your idea did make me think of another idea (through the "hangover style of dying) that if you had a kill streak, the bigger it was if you died (for your level), the less intense the "hangover" would be. this would mean that you wouldn't be taken back to where you started but would still make sure that you don't want to die. This idea could combine with Oxid's with how long you're unconscious for depends on your original kill streak.
www.theexiledclan.org
Each game is different and the chances of dying or the difficulty of their dungeons can vary. Online RPG's prove a bigger problem, which is possible lag or some noob hellbent on randomly killing their team mates. Death Penalties should be more forgiving in online RPG's and should be generally basic.

IMHO, a fixed % loss in Gold/Currency and respawn in town w/portals (if you've laid one, that is). Yes, I know.... Diablo and countless others have done this, but it's proven fun gameplay.
Last edited by matthiass on Jul 8, 2011, 12:37:50 PM
What about perma death/drop all items and add resurect scrolls or spell?
"
matthiass wrote:
Death Penalties should be more forgiving in online RPG's and should be generally basic.

Even though I had few more or less complex ideas about it, once I started playing in Alpha and died few times, losing EXP only turned out to be quite sufficient punishment. Anything more or different than that would be too much of a distraction from what PoE is about = action! So yes, stick to the basic :o))

EDIT:

Losing items and / or currency on death? You better not wish that, at least not on default league. Great item requires either a lot of playing or a lot of currency items - less if you're lucky one, of course, and losing it, or currency items, with which you would either buy or craft desired item, would be serious drawback.
"I am The Banisher, the ill will that snuffs the final candle." - Seal of Doom (MTG)
Last edited by tormenta on Jul 8, 2011, 6:56:08 PM
"
tormenta wrote:
"
matthiass wrote:
Death Penalties should be more forgiving in online RPG's and should be generally basic.

Even though I had few more or less complex ideas about it, once I started playing in Alpha and died few times, losing EXP only turned out to be quite sufficient punishment. Anything more or different than that would be too much of a distraction from what PoE is about = action! So yes, stick to the basic :o))

EDIT:

Losing items and / or currency on death? You better not wish that, at least not on default league. Great item requires either a lot of playing or a lot of currency items - less if you're lucky one, of course, and losing it, or currency items, with which you would either buy or craft desired item, would be serious drawback.

Some good feedback mate!
Its good to have some alpha play perspective on the topic.
Cheers!
The Exiled Clan
www.exiledclan.org

Recruiting all new players now!
Last edited by purepower on Jul 8, 2011, 8:10:28 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info