Death Penalties

This are my ideas:

- After you die you lose experience lvl, respawn in the city with -x% of exp.

- After you die you appear in the city without your items and you have to go back to your body to get them again, but if you can't go to your body, in the next game, your body with your items will be in the city respawn near you.

- When you die you lose x% of your money, and respawn in the city.
No corpse runs please... they are just horrible and could make pvp a pain.

and since the game wont have money, u cannot lose money on death :)
To be honest, going crazy with original death penalty ideas will usually just alienate players. Stick with something simple and non-invasive to gameplay.

PVE death penalty
-Timer for party revival activates, if passed or skipped then move to town and:
-Exp loss (10%? depends how hard the levelling is)
-Loss of proportion of currency items carried, or chance to lose proportion.
-Temporary debuff e.g. -HP and MP for a few minutes.

Something like -drop rate or similar would just cause people to stop playing for a while if they died vs a boss or similar. Corpse runs shouldn't be done in this kind of setting either, IMO.

PVP death penalty
-Same revival/respawn timer, spawn either at town, or if in a duel, a random nearby area.
-Smaller exp loss (1-5%), since this will bring some risk to high players, but not penalise low players much, or discourage participation
-Similar currency loss system, dropping as PVP loot.
-No stat penalties

The other thing I'm considering is if world PVP is implemented (rampaging on random players) then something like a "murderer" status could work well. For example each kill adds a count to your character, and each count takes e.g. 1 hour to pass. If the count goes above a certain number (2?) the player gets murderer status and can't use certain services in-game (some NPCs maybe), has a higher death penalty (more exp loss, higher chance of currency loss) and can be killed freely by other players to gain a guardian/hero status, which reduces death penalties, or gives a small boost to something. Maybe lower NPC/repair prices.

So something like this:
Guardian/Hero: For killing murderers, reduced death penalties and some slight benefit e.g. better NPC prices. Each kill of a murderer gives you a set time of this, could add up for longer status.

Commoner: Most players. Everyone reverts to this when timers run out.

Warning/wanted: Players who have killed others in world PVP but are still on a low timer. Slight increase in death penalty. Cannot gain hero status from killing murderers, but still gives murderer timer when killed by others.

Murderer: World PVP kill timer above a certain level. Can be killed freely by anybody (except wanted players) to get hero timer. Increased death penalties (could scale to timer? Maybe chance of dropping items on death?) and loses ability to use some NPCs or transport functions.

Of course these statuses are only for open PVP and won't apply for duels or whatever PVP events/areas may be added into the game. I see it as a way to include world PVP in a self-enforcing way. To identify player PVP status they could get an icon above their head, change name colour or get a temporary title something. These timers/counts could also be recorded as stats for use in titles/achievements if something like that is included.
Available to mediate cross-league trades and mirror services. Send me a PM here or in-game.
IGN: SpudOfDoom | The Exiled - Path Of Exile's oldest clan
Nice points SpudOfDoom, I think that in PVE there shouldn't be temporary debuff, in this kind of games its really painful.
with regards to the normal league it'd probably work well if it was something simple, like a loss of a fraction of exp or gold, or having to spend time travelling back through a waypoint or w/e to reach the place where you died.
Just make it similar as in World of Warcraft: After you died you are a ghost and have to recover your body.

░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
Il███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤..
I think the majority of people are opposed to corpse runs/ghost runs.
Yes good sir, I enjoy slaying mythical creatures.
39 pages and my eyes are bleeding...

I have learned much. Mainly, don't put forward your ideas without making at least some effort to browse the thread :)

The impression I get about penalties which are time based is that they will fail, purely because human nature being what it is, if you get disadvantaged badly enough you will most likely leave the game and come back when things are "back to normal". Not much of a penalty then. If they were somehow based on "game time" you would have to deal with it or quit the game permanently after venting in a fashion suitable to your tendencies.

Body runs suck. I may have this engraved on my headstone.

XP loss - you know what you are getting and it is instant. I can deal with that. I was careless or insufficiently prepared and I died. Fine, I'll take more care this time around.

For people who are serial diers (is that even a word?) perhaps there could be a trigger point. At the fiftieth death, your character mutates into a kamikaze pilot riding a my little pony and spamming rainbows which miss every target. This effect wears off after a week of actual game time.

I greatly admire the thinkers in this forum. If you have read this far, I apologise for taking up your time ;) As you have realised by now, I have nothing new to add to the discussion, but, like a doughnut it has become quite circular.
I used to be apathetic, now I just don't care.
I think we have come to a general consensus in this thread though...

A titrated XP loss is probably the best solution.

I've also seen economies boosted by stat loss coupled with stat pots... again titrated so it doesn't totally cripple your character if you get a bad streak.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
zeto wrote:
I've also seen economies boosted by stat loss coupled with stat pots... again titrated so it doesn't totally cripple your character if you get a bad streak.

Seems like a good low-end currency item :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info