Death Penalties

I think the current exp penalties in default are just fine the way it is now.

Unless there's specific behavior you'd like to prevent/discourage, then I see no reason to change it.
I have a Witch and a Templar in cruel difficulty, actually the Templar just finished cruel. My first thoughts about this was that it would be really bad, but when i'm playing it it actually adds a good thing to the game. you cannot just progress and facerool the game, you actually will have to trade gear or play really carefully if you are bad at this game. Maby having max 10% lost each time you die would be great, but the current system is nice..
Hello, I haven't played the game yet and I'm new to these forums, but I've got some experience in hack'n'slash so I thought I'd put my 2 cents :p

The "lost-exp-pool" penalty might be very good in my opinion. Saw it on the first page, and also in one hack'n'slash game but I cannot remember which. I did not read all 100 pages but I didn't see anyone commenting about it.

Therefore I'll bump it here, with some images so you can understand it correctly (or not) :p

Assume this is your exp bar ( \o/ )

When you die, you lose a certain % of your xp, lets say 2500. These 2500 xp go into a pool of exp that you do not have anymore, but you can regain!

By killing monsters, you can regain lost exp. For example I've just killed a monster and awarded 1000xp. my actual exp bar will gain 1000xp and a certain percentage of these 1000xp will be converted from pool to real exp

After killing a few packs of monster I would have regained the whole pool of xp I had lost when I died, plus the regular exp given by those monsters.

If I'm really bad and I die once again while I had not recovered the whole pool yet, I lose ~2500xp once again and a new 2500xp pool is created (what remains of the previous one is lost).

Therefore, if you die once by mistake/lag/bug/[insert whatever whine here], you can get what you lost back and continue as if nothing had happened. BUT if you die several times then you might REALLY lose exp.

p.s: Respawn at the last checkpoint/beginning of the dungeon or current floor/whatever, not too far away, but not at the exact place where you died of course.

Last edited by truff215 on Aug 14, 2012, 11:41:20 AM
I'd like to see a cap on what you can lose in relation to the time taken to "get it back". In D2 for example if your high level and die it required just epic hard work to get that EXP back (lvls 85+).

It'd be nice if there was some form of choice for high-level deaths. Perhaps you could elect to spend 15 minutes recovering from your injuries (aka forced to stay in town) if you elected to take that punishment instead of the EXP loss.

This would effectively "cap" the cost of death to a maximum of a 15 minute timeout. No one would choose that if they could easily make the exp up in 5 to 10 minutes, but everyone would choose that rather than lose hours of progress.
"
truff215 wrote:
Therefore, if you die once by mistake/lag/bug/[insert whatever whine here], you can get what you lost back and continue as if nothing had happened. BUT if you die several times then you might REALLY lose exp.

I actually like that idea. :D
быстреебы обт
"
vahss3 wrote:
never been very big on deathpenalties , dying IS the penalty for failure
*and often embarrassing*

the most interesting xp loss method i have seen is what ao used several years back :
- when you die you lose dev#xp
- lost xp goes into an experience recovery pool
- each time you recieve new xp a matching amount of xp is returned from the xp pool to your char xp
- you can only lose actual active xp going toward the next level
- you could not lose levels only active 'to-next' xp
*xp and levels were tiered*

the pool was like limbo for xp , useless while in the pool but re-obtainable .

"
Rustychops wrote:
You could always lose your body when you die. It holds all you weapons and items (only you can pick it up). You also drop all your gold and lose a bit of XP.

everquest featured 'corpse runs' and it was annoying . in daoc you lost 10% of your xp then you could go pray at your deathsite gravestone to get 5% back .

anarchy online is the game ur stating saying ao its now 11 years old i think and it still runs that death system its a great system and i love it best i feel it makes one work that much harder to recover all that xp when you keep dying and pool just grows i still play it to this day its a simple yet effective death system you die you pretty much lose all the xp from last save point for that level so then you got to work all the way from the last xp save to try and gain all the xp back jsut to level i love it
"
truff215 wrote:
Hello, I haven't played the game yet and I'm new to these forums, but I've got some experience in hack'n'slash so I thought I'd put my 2 cents :p

The "lost-exp-pool" penalty might be very good in my opinion. Saw it on the first page, and also in one hack'n'slash game but I cannot remember which. I did not read all 100 pages but I didn't see anyone commenting about it.

Therefore I'll bump it here, with some images so you can understand it correctly (or not) :p

Assume this is your exp bar ( \o/ )

When you die, you lose a certain % of your xp, lets say 2500. These 2500 xp go into a pool of exp that you do not have anymore, but you can regain!

By killing monsters, you can regain lost exp. For example I've just killed a monster and awarded 1000xp. my actual exp bar will gain 1000xp and a certain percentage of these 1000xp will be converted from pool to real exp

After killing a few packs of monster I would have regained the whole pool of xp I had lost when I died, plus the regular exp given by those monsters.

If I'm really bad and I die once again while I had not recovered the whole pool yet, I lose ~2500xp once again and a new 2500xp pool is created (what remains of the previous one is lost).

p.s: Respawn at the last checkpoint/beginning of the dungeon or current floor/whatever, not too far away, but not at the exact place where you died of course.

this is even a good idea cause it works along the same principle as anarchy online
I already posted some ideas in another part of the forum, the ones i like the most are not penalties, but the following:

1. XP/Attributes Bonuses
2. Show-Off Aura
3. Archivement

Explained in the next post.
"The harder the game, the better."
Last edited by Vold316 on Aug 18, 2012, 1:36:34 PM
Do not grant bonus for being alive X hours, it is too easy to fool.
I like the idea too, but it would be better if you granted an XP bonus (or a MF bonus quantity+rarity) based on the amount of enemies killed, and which would reset every new instance (when entering new areas, but not when tping in town).

Maybe implement such a mf boost, and keep the current exp loss penalty but lower it? Just an idea...

And when counting the amount of enemy killed, avoid increasing the number when player is idling next to a summoner and killing minions infinitely (you may already have such a code for regular exp award, didn't check but there should be...)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info