Survey - Music

"
Shimaran wrote:

- Main menu theme...I may be the only one here, but this piece of music is really dull and weird, and does not fit at all in the game. I'm really hoping for a new main theme with 3.0. I'd be very disappointed otherwise.

Interesting idea ! :)
music composer

www.soundcloud.com/kamilormanjanowski

www.kamilormanjanowski.com
Oooh. I didn't realize this was a thing.

My faves:
1 - Sarn Marketplace/Warehouse Distract. I love the echoing vista this piece displays. It sounds melancholy in places as well, which fits really nicely with the abandoned city thing going on in Sarn. I especially like the chimes.

2 - Chamber of Sins/Battlefront. The sinister pounding of the percussion accompanies this piece really well as you explore the chamber of sins. It really gives off that threatening air. I am not sure if this piece really fits the Battlefront however.

3 - Lunaris Temple. I believe part of this piece also occurs in the Solaris temple? But only the more eerie and tense part, whereas Solaris temple begins with the soothing choir. I really think this piece makes that whole area for me. The dark colours of the temple with the blackguards - leading into the disgusting miscreations and finally the third floor where you see the truly grisly results of Piety's work. (sidenote : I preferred when Lunaris temple was split into 3 distinct floors - as each staircase was another descent into insanity)

4 - Vaal Ruins. Very atmospheric, shame about the horrid zone though! My favourite part of this piece is definitely towards the end when we hear part of the Forest Encampments theme. I really like how in one of the penultimate areas of Act 2 we hear one of the first themes we heard in A2. Gives the area a cyclic feel to it. Which leads into my next favourite...

5 - Forest Encampment. The best town theme I have heard in a game. It is so threatening. Really immersive piece that makes you feel like you are not safe in Wraeclast - even in a town (encampment?).

Honourable mention goes to the Breachlord domain piece. A new style for Path of Exile but not a bad one. Certainly helps amp me up before the Breachlord fight and conveys almost an imperial feeling to said Breachlords.
21/05/18 - The beginning of the end of PoE
Some of the Tracks I like the most are the song that play during Izaro's fight and the act 4 OST in general are very well done.

My personal favorite of the entire game is Acton's Nightmare, I just love how this song put you in a uneasy ambiance. I wish There would be more music like this one in the game, it remind me of the very first Diablo, every song was very interesting in it's own way and helped to create the perfect atmosphere.

The songs I like the less, I think act 1 need love. When you start playing a video game the first song you hear should be good enough stick in your head. I never had this feeling when I was on the beach while playing POE. Legend of Zelda had it's amazing theme everyone know, Mario had level 1-1 theme, Castlevania had Vampire Killer and Diablo had this very fitting acoustic guitar theme that is playing in the town when you go fetch your first few quests. I think we need a music like that in Path of exile, a theme that will mark the first few steps of our adventure and that will make people excited for more, craving for more gore and monster hunting. We need a song that stick into our head so deeply that just hearing to the first 3 notes we will directly think about Path of Exile.

Also, I think some of the interior dungeon theme in general could use some love too. Acton's Nightmare theme is very well done for it's map and put you into the mood. I think we would need an appropriate and well fitting theme for each type of dungeon we're facing. Something that use scary sound in it, that feel claustophobic. Diablo 1 had a very good ambiantic soundtrack for this.
"
diablofdb wrote:
Some of the Tracks I like the most are the song that play during Izaro's fight and the act 4 OST in general are very well done.

My personal favorite of the entire game is Acton's Nightmare, I just love how this song put you in a uneasy ambiance. I wish There would be more music like this one in the game, it remind me of the very first Diablo, every song was very interesting in it's own way and helped to create the perfect atmosphere.

The songs I like the less, I think act 1 need love. When you start playing a video game the first song you hear should be good enough stick in your head. I never had this feeling when I was on the beach while playing POE. Legend of Zelda had it's amazing theme everyone know, Mario had level 1-1 theme, Castlevania had Vampire Killer and Diablo had this very fitting acoustic guitar theme that is playing in the town when you go fetch your first few quests. I think we need a music like that in Path of exile, a theme that will mark the first few steps of our adventure and that will make people excited for more, craving for more gore and monster hunting. We need a song that stick into our head so deeply that just hearing to the first 3 notes we will directly think about Path of Exile.

Also, I think some of the interior dungeon theme in general could use some love too. Acton's Nightmare theme is very well done for it's map and put you into the mood. I think we would need an appropriate and well fitting theme for each type of dungeon we're facing. Something that use scary sound in it, that feel claustophobic. Diablo 1 had a very good ambiantic soundtrack for this.

In general I'd say musics in Acts 1 and 2 feel vastly inferior to the ones we have in Acts 4 and (to a lesser extent) 3. But to me the most iconic piece of PoE's soundtrack is Lioneye's Watch. It never gets old and is a perfect welcome when you begin your journey.
"
Shimaran wrote:

In general I'd say musics in Acts 1 and 2 feel vastly inferior to the ones we have in Acts 4 and (to a lesser extent) 3. But to me the most iconic piece of PoE's soundtrack is Lioneye's Watch. It never gets old and is a perfect welcome when you begin your journey.

you're right on this, music that was added with act 4 was very good and music that was added beyond that point to the game was mostly very nice. Most of the older soundtrack do not sound as good and maybe should be reworked a bit.
Unfortunately, at this point, it's very hard to revamp old music because you always lose something in the process, and the nostalgia factor in PoE is very important to keep players into the game.
"
Shimaran wrote:
Unfortunately, at this point, it's very hard to revamp old music because you always lose something in the process, and the nostalgia factor in PoE is very important to keep players into the game.

I think some music should be kept around but some other could be changed or remixed idk there's place for all sort of improvement
Top 5 Favorites (in no particular order):
• Church Dungeon (The Crypt)
• The Dried Lake
• Izaro's Labyrinth Exterior
• Old Fields
• Warehouses

Honorable Mentions (in no particular order):
• Path of Exile (Main Theme)
• Lioneye's Watch*
• The Forest
• Forest Encampment / Vaal Ruins (from 4:58 in)

* Will we ever get the remixed version played during some of the micro-transaction previews? Unless I missed it, I don't think it's included in the soundtracks?

Also, I have the Fall of Oriath soundtrack, but I haven't listened to it yet as I'd rather wait to listen once the expansion is out of Beta (to get the full experience).

EDIT: Somehow forgot the Church Dungeon theme.
Last edited by Sedrethi on Jun 21, 2017, 7:37:38 PM
favorites (not in order):
forest encampment
solaris
kaom's dream
belly of the beast
overseer's tower (hideout music PLEASE?)

honorable mentions:
twilight strand - instant nostalgia
prison - nails the creepy horror vibe
control blocks - favorite new area music
lab exterior - very mellow, perfect counterweight to how stressful the lab can be >_<
whakawairua tuahu - I hadn't heard this one until I looked it up but it's got a great ambiance

imo the boss themes are some of the weaker ones, but here are my 3 favorites from those, in order:
1. dominus ascendant
2. avarius
3. kitava

also, all the recent trailer music is spot on, especially:
Awakening, Atlas, Breach, Legacy, Prophecy

in order of favorite music overall by act:
1. Act 1
2. Act IV
3. Act V
4. Act II
5. Act III
builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1663570/
My list so far:

1. Act 6 Lioneye's Watch
2. Solaris Temple
3. Twiglight Strand
4. Acton's Nightmare
5. Original Act 1 Lioneye's Watch (the one form 2012, not the one you hear now)
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info