Guns... My opinion what's yours?

"
miljan wrote:
And also I am not sure why would they allow machine guns to be sold, this is really little mind blowing to me.

This is not the case, and his anecdote was a little misleading. You CANNOT just go to a store and buy a full-auto machine gun in the US. Those have been banned for well over 20 years. You CAN buy ones made prior to some year in the 1980s, but you will need lots of permits and the guns cost many thousands of dollars. The government also keeps tabs on the owners of these guns. I can't recall any notable incident of a civilian killing someone with a legal machine gun in my lifetime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

What Skycore probably meant was that he was able to walk into a store and buy a semi-auto AK-47. This means that they will fire only one shot per trigger-pull - You can't hold the trigger down and spray bullets around.
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 8:17:32 PM
"
Entropic_Fire wrote:
"
SkyCore wrote:
"
Entropic_Fire wrote:

I think America has an intolerance problem that no amount of gun control can fix. Hateful people will find the means to kill people regardless,

People are not born intolerant and hatefilled. It is learned through mimicry and association from their environment. To a large extent, hate is a product of our mass media. We are constantly bombarded with conflict; the hero (whom the story revolves around) dominates the villain (whom is always morally wrong). This meme/theme is repeated over and over. It is driven deep into our psyche that we are the hero, and any opposition is automatically the villain whom we should utterly defeat. No de-escalation, no rational thought and debate, just pure unadulterated domination.

In the realm of 'news', noam chomsky explains the propaganda far better than i ever could.
https://youtu.be/CvZRsdHgxgA?t=20m14s

That's a really interesting take on the issue, and a perspective I haven't seen in this discussion previously. It really worries me that the political establishment boils the issue down to "take their guns" vs. "don't take our guns" and their constituents on both sides buy right into it for the most part.

I honestly didn't expect the off-topic section of an online gaming messaging board to have a more enlightened take on the subject, but there it is.

(one of the reasons I'm such a huge trekkie: the shows break this narrative more than any other franchise I have ever seen)
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
SkyCore wrote:
Of course there are mentally deficient individuals who would irrationally still fear despite the capabilities to protect themselves. What such sub-humans feel is really inconsequential to the discussion.

I don't know how to respond to this. I'll just hope for everyone's sake that you're having a laugh and trolling it up and move on.

Please don't actually believe anything you've said in this thread.
Guns are for weak people .
R.I.P 4.B.
For an actual opinion

Why the fuck do americans need guns? what in the glorious fuck makes you guys so insecure about yourselves that you need fully automatic weapons to "protect" yourself? you have the fucking law enforcement for that

Also, mods, if you delete this, just remember that ive lost a few friends due to gun violence on duty and off, so don't you dare.

Back to the point... In australia (YEAH I KNOW, ITS ABOUT AMERICA, IT ALWAYS IS), we have zero mass shootings thanks to our strict gun policy, and guess what? we're 100000000% fine

The second amendment is fucking stupid... and whoever defends it either doesn't have a brain, or shouldn't have the luxury of having one.

until you actually know how much capability you have in holding an assault rifle, you shouldn't have one, ive killed only 17 people in my life, approximate because we can't fucking count whilst taking shots from every direction. But furthermore, I myself have witnessed most of my closest friends (of 2-3 year friendships) die from rifle kills.

I'm just sick of hearing americans cry "omg my guns, i need my guns" shut the shit up, no you don't, you don't need guns, you need brains.

Thank you all for listening... or not, idc anymore.
Twitch: twitch.tv/slayertip

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
"
Slayer_Tip wrote:

Why the fuck do americans need guns?

Aside from defensive purposes, in certain parts of the US hunting is a family/cultural tradition and a necessity to survive.

Edit: It may also sound trivial but, again, in certain parts of the US were you to take away all the guns you'll have no way of managing the wildlife. Here, without a proper deer season they would overpopulate and I dunno if you can imagine what kind of damage a full grown deer does to a car that hits it @ 55+ mph (70+ mph on the interstate). Same goes for alligators, take guns away and the only place you're going swimming is in a pool and even then there might be a gator in it once they overpopulate. :P

I've hit 2 deer and run over a gator, none were pleasant experiences and I'm lucky to have walked away unharmed. Can't say the same for the vehicles. hehe

And that's with population control in place.

Does that justify not taking away all the guns? Who knows, but the ramifications may be further reaching than some would care to delve. Anyway, just my 2c fwiw.

"
Slayer_Tip wrote:
what in the glorious fuck makes you guys so insecure about yourselves that you need fully automatic weapons to "protect" yourself? you have the fucking law enforcement for that

Some would say that's exactly why we need them, haven't you heard of the state of affairs we're putting up with regarding our law enforcement? Cops killing people or their pets for no reason, turns out being in the law enforcement industry doesn't just automatically make you a good person with flawless decision making. The link I just gave is only one of many incidents like that that happen around these parts.

Besides, they're never around when you need 'em or if they are it's typically the ones you'd rather not deal with.
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
Last edited by Shovelcut on Jun 17, 2016, 1:47:44 AM
"
Shovelcut wrote:
Same goes for alligators, take guns away and the only place you're going swimming is in a pool and even then there might be a gator in it once they overpopulate. :P

Not. Bloody. Likely.

When they start with the US degunning they should probably take away your driver's license too.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:
Carrying your balls inside the holster is tricky, if it fails along the way it's possible to lose them, and then you got a problem, Houston.

Some people are members of phylum chordata, and some are Sphyrapicus varius.

Fear is part of a natural defense mechanism. You have an entire system (The sympathetic nervous system) set up to handle it. There are plenty of people who managed to defend themselves with a weapon despite fear.

"Police said the stranger broke into the house through the back door and then hit the 75 year old on his head before stabbing him. That’s when his 80-year-old wife grabbed a gun and killed the intruder.

Cross said his neighbor told him the suspect had been rifling through the medicine cabinet searching for drugs. But when police said she watched him attack her husband with a knife, she then pulled a gun and shot him.

“She didn’t think a second about it,” said Cross. “I mean it was just automatic. She emptied the gun.”

A Henderson County man uses a shotgun to defend himself. The Henderson County Sheriff’s Department reports that 72 year old Jack Taylor shot 53 year old Elliot Sherdahl of Carman Monday night. The shooting occurred on Taylor’s property near Stronghurst. Officers say Sherdahl drew a loaded pistol on Taylor and Taylor returned fire with a shotgun. Sherdahl sustained injuries to his hand and face and was flown to University Hospitals in Iowa City. He has been charged with attempted murder and unlawful aggravated use of a weapon. Taylor has not been charged.

A 92-year-old World War II veteran shot and killed a suspected robber who attempted to break into his Kentucky home Monday morning. Two other men believed to be involved in the botched home invasion are lucky to have escaped with their lives and are now behind bars, WLWT reports.

Louise Howard, 86 was in her home when a young woman broke the glass out on her door with a wrench and forced her way inside. Howard grabbed her gun and then started to struggle with intruder. She was just about to shoot her in the stomach when the intruder managed to bring her knee up and strike the elderly woman's elbow, causing the round to miss and lodge in the wall instead. It was enough to end the altercation though, as the intruder fled the apartment, only managing to grab Howard's purse.

No one was injured in the incident, besides some scratches on Howard. When asked if she was scared, she admitted that she was more afraid for her cat than she was for herself.

Jasper Brisbon, 32, who appeared to be intoxicated or high, stalked a 20 year old man and his girlfriend, after encountering them outside their apartment before forcing his way inside and then charging the man. The unnamed 20 yr old student,

20 year old, unnamed student with a legally purchased who fired a single shot from his AR-15 at Brisbon, striking him in the chest and killing him.

An 18-year-old mother named Sarah McKinley who killed an intruder with a shotgun when he tried to break into her home where she was with her infant son.

An attacker cut the power, entered by breaking a window, and then grabbed knives from the kitchen to try and kill a 50 yr legally old blind homeowner. After hearing the window break, the homeowner reached for the handgun he kept hidden in a sock. When he saw a shadowy figure the homeowner fired one shot in self defense. The police arrested the intruder and took him to the hospital where he is expected to recover

A Gainesville man's lack of sight didn't stop him from defending his home from an intruder.

According to police, Cevaughn Curtis Jr., 28, broke into Arthur Williams' house in Gainesville at around 3 a.m. Curtis, police said, knocked on the door, asked to be let inside but Williams refused. Curtis then tried to force his way into the home.

The 75-year-old retired taxi dispatcher, who's been legally blind for the past 61 years, opened fire on the would-be-thief who kicked down his door, police said. Police said Williams shot Curtis, who tried to flee but collapsed on the front porch, inthe left side of the neck. He was taken to a hospital in stable condition.

Police said Curtis was charged with burglary of an occupied residence and battery on a person over the age of 65. Officials are praising Williams for protecting himsel

92-Year-Old Blind Woman Scares Off Burglars With Gun, “Come on in, boys! The police won’t take you away, the morgue will.”

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Jun 17, 2016, 6:33:54 AM
"
Entropic_Fire wrote:
"
SkyCore wrote:
"
Entropic_Fire wrote:

I think America has an intolerance problem that no amount of gun control can fix. Hateful people will find the means to kill people regardless,

People are not born intolerant and hatefilled. It is learned through mimicry and association from their environment. To a large extent, hate is a product of our mass media. We are constantly bombarded with conflict; the hero (whom the story revolves around) dominates the villain (whom is always morally wrong). This meme/theme is repeated over and over. It is driven deep into our psyche that we are the hero, and any opposition is automatically the villain whom we should utterly defeat. No de-escalation, no rational thought and debate, just pure unadulterated domination.

In the realm of 'news', noam chomsky explains the propaganda far better than i ever could.
https://youtu.be/CvZRsdHgxgA?t=20m14s

That's a really interesting take on the issue, and a perspective I haven't seen in this discussion previously. It really worries me that the political establishment boils the issue down to "take their guns" vs. "don't take our guns" and their constituents on both sides buy right into it for the most part.

I honestly didn't expect the off-topic section of an online gaming messaging board to have a more enlightened take on the subject, but there it is.

Does a newborn cry, because it is feeling generous and wants people to share in that loud warbling music?

Do children throw tantrums because they just really want to share?

Children are born selfish and self serving. Anyone who has raised a child and has been paying the least bit of attention knows this. Child psychologists know this. It's standard
developmental theory, with the particulars of age and manifestation the only real variants.

Children are born selfish. That cry is "take care of ME NOW" The human body is wired to respond to that cry, because there is no other forms of communication yet.

When a child learns that it is loved and well cared for, the child can then be taught that others have needs, feelings etc.

So, a child can be neglected, abused or otherwise raised in an environment where it becomes angry and even less tolerant of others, but that child was born intolerant and self serving.

It is the job of the parents to help that child see the world through loving empathic eyes.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Jun 17, 2016, 6:35:07 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info