Mechanical Questions Thread

Hi Mark, I am aware that reducing duration of dots (poison, bleed) does not strictly increase damage as its per second.

On that note though, suppose poison was reduced to 0.69 seconds, would it just do 69% of a tick damage?
Does the first stage of Flameblast deal 100% tooltip damage, then each additional stage deals 110% more? This would result in a 10 stack Flameblast dealing 9*110% = 990% more damage, or 10.9x your tooltip.

I have seen almost all sources say it deals 12x tooltip, but my own tests of the damage at stage 1 matches the tooltip so that would require an 11 stack Flameblast. It could be useful to correct community misconceptions if it does indeed only deal up to 10.9x base/tooltip damage.
Read my book! The world ending in every way anyone ever thought it might end, all at once. First few chapters are available online for free.
http://www.amazon.com/The-End-World-Know-ebook/dp/B00CZ21JAQ
A question about Wild Strike, how are the secondary effects calculated? Do they do damage based on the weapon damage and type, or based on their chosen element? And what are the ratios on the chosen effects? And how exactly does it interact with support gems, using Elemental Focus, with a full lightning build, I cant seem to shock or freeze, but mobs still get ignited every once in a while. And how exactly is the tooltip calculated, is it just based on the initial hit, or does it take in to account the secondary procs?
Last edited by Dragaxe on Jun 9, 2016, 12:33:38 AM
Hi mark, thanks for doing this!

I've been playing with hiltless the new 2h reaver sword, and I was wondering if fortify is reducing the reflected damage it does to me.

After reading that the reflected damage is not a hit, and then reading the poe wiki for fortify which says it reduces the damage of hits, I am unsure if it actually is reducing the damage or not.

Thanks.
"
Resurr wrote:
The support team linked me to this thread,
so i have an issue with pierce chance from the Drillneck quiver. it is supposed to give "10% chance of Arrows piercing" but it doesnt increase the chance to pierce, that is indicated by the tooltip of my Lightning Arrow
Skill Tooltips intentionally only show the stats that are specific to that skill. They don't show global things that affect all skills.
If you want to see everything a skill does, including all your global stats, the character panel, not the skill popup, is the place to do that.

"
Rockstopper wrote:
Consecrated ground created by "Decree of Light" gloves enchant (example below) seems to grant much higher health regen than expected.

Tested with a character with around 7.5k life, their life regen spikes by ~900 while standing on it, close to 12% of their maximum life.
Decree of Light skill description reads "4% of maximum life regenerated per second" and consecrated ground created by a Sulphur flask grants the expected 4% life regen. Where is this difference coming from?
A bug. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
"
Rockstopper wrote:
Related to above, do you still benefit from "when you take a critical strike" effects if you block said critical strike? For example, Avenger's prefix on flasks.
Yes.
"
Rockstopper wrote:
Whirling Blades doesn't seem to be interruptible.
It's just as interruptable as any other skill.
"
Rockstopper wrote:
what happens if I receive damage from a hit large enough to normally stun me while whirling?
You get stunned. Currently, there's a bug where the movement continues, meaning you slide while playing the stun animation, but you're no longer damaging things. The bug will be fixed in a future patch.
"
Rockstopper wrote:
Is there a maximum range I need to be within of monsters killed (by me) to gain experience?
Yes. Experience for a kill is assigned to players within range, regardless of whether any of those players are the ones which killed it.
"
Rockstopper wrote:
For example, do monsters dying to degen when I'm already several screens away still grant experience no matter what?
If you're actually getting "several screens away" before they die, they probably aren't dying at all, since time stops passing for things outside the player's wake range.
"
Rockstopper wrote:
Do strongbox prefixes have any effect on quantity of items contained
No.
"
Rockstopper wrote:
or would opening a normal strongbox be the same as opening a magic one (with no suffixes) loot wise?
Also no. Magic strongboxes inherently have increased quantity/rarity of items for being magic, but this is unrelated to any prefices they have. Similarly for rares and uniques.

"
wedontcare wrote:
is Shadeform working as intended?
Mechanically, yes.
"
wedontcare wrote:
The passive is clearly written as "20% more evasion chance when not on full Energy Shield", which you knew already.
This is incorrect. The passive says "20% more chance to Evade Attacks while not on full Energy Shield". This may seem pedantic, but given that wording is very specific in some cases, it's not a good idea to use quote marks around something that isn't actually the text used in the game.
"
wedontcare wrote:
On the wiki it states it being when you are on full ES, with the passive saying vice versa.
I have no idea what you mean by this. The wiki page for the passive shows the correct stat, and the history of that wiki page does not appeat to show it ever having being wrong. Regardless, the wiki is sometimes inaccurate, and should never be trusted over actual mechanical text in the game.
"
wedontcare wrote:
I'm curious because it doesn't seem to be doing either of those things. At full ES I have 48% chance to evade
This is incorrect. That's fundamentally not how evasion works. I'm assuming you're looking at the Estiamted chance to evade shown in the character panel. This is an estimate, based on the accuracy rating of an average monster of your level.
Your character does not ever have a specific chance to evade. Chance to evade is different for different hits, determined by comparing your evasion to the attacker's accuracy, not a fixed global value on the character.
"
wedontcare wrote:
and then upon taking damage, I see no change in that number, either going down or up. Is this tied to a stat that isn't visible to the player?
Technically no, in that it's tied to your actual chance to evade each hit you take, which isn't (and can' be) shown to the player, but is not a stat (because it must be calculated for each hit).
"
wedontcare wrote:
If so, would that make my chance to evade an inaccurate percentage to look at for the purpose of whether or not this passive is working?
The Estimated chance to evade shown in the character panel is inaccurate for any pupose. It can give a rough idea of how evady you're likely to be against monsters of the same level as you, but no more than that.
That said, this modifier to chance to evade should in theory apply both to your actual chance to evade, and to the estimate stat (which are entirely separate things). This is a (display only) bug, which I will investigate.

"
Atimar549 wrote:
I'm deciding on the ranger class, using a Drillneck for the pierce bonus damage. But the problem is that I'm unsure if the Ranger Deadeye passive interacts with Drillneck.
It does.
"
Atimar549 wrote:
is it dynamic? Such as reducing total damage as the projectile travels and loses pierce chance?
Of course. The projectile loses pierce chance, so anything calculated based on that pierce chance also changes.

"
sherkhan wrote:
How exactly does taunt operate on a monster? Does it mean the next hit will be directed towards the taunter? Or all hits over the duration of the taunt?
While taunted, a monster's AI cannot consider any object as a potential target except the taunter.
"
sherkhan wrote:
Is there a Taunt cooldown period?
Previously, some unique monsters (act bosses and map bosses) that were taunted gained immunity to further taunts for 9 seconds. This was removed as part of the 2.3.0 Taunt rework. There is now no such mechanic used.
"
sherkhan wrote:
Do monsters have Taunt resistance / Taunt duration modifiers / Taunt break mechanics? Does this differ by monster category?
No. The only effect of this type was the taunt immunity when taunted, which was removed in 2.3.0.
"
sherkhan wrote:
Is there radius limitation on the Taunt effect? I.e. does the taunter have to be within a certain distance for the taunted monster to target the taunter?
No. However, if the taunter is outside the monster's aggro radius, they're an invalid target, meaning the monster has no targets to choose from (since objects that aren't the taunter can't be targeted).
"
sherkhan wrote:
When totems taunt (chieftain passive), do they become the target, or does the player (since totems represent players in certain ways)?
The totem is a seperate object from the player. If the totem taunts an enemy, the totem is the taunt target.

"
The_x_ile wrote:
1) is there any difference between scolds / heartbound loop damage taken, and between hiltless "reflected" damage?
Yes.
"
The_x_ile wrote:
if so.. where exactly? (aside from the fact that the reflected damage can be blocked/ dodged etc..)
The primary difference is that the reflected damage is reflected damage, which carries a whole bunch of rules baggage. Reflected damage cannot trigger on-hit effects, for example. The other two are just hits of regular secondary damage you deal to yourself. They are more different than they are similar.
"
The_x_ile wrote:
in my COLB build i have no idea why my mana cost is as it is... care to explain how i reach 669 mana there? (tried diff stuff and nothing lead me to 669 mana)
You've made two errors I can see in your post - you list a mulitplier of 150% for WED support, when the actual value is 140%, and you treat Reduced Mana support as having a 75% mana multiplier, which it does not - it has no mana multiplier, but aplies the stat "reduced mana cost" to supported skills. Being a reduction, this is additive with the "increased mana cost" from your jewels.
The mana multipliers total to a 942% total multiplier, to the base cost of 15. This then has a 375% increased applied (400% increased from jewels - 75% reduced from RM support), giving the total of 699. (Note that each step of this process uses integer maths, so any fractional parts are discarded).
"
The_x_ile wrote:
some question about dancing dervish :
- what are the tags of the skill? (AOE / minion / melee /etc...)
It does not have any. Tags are a feature of gems, not skills. This skill does not have a gem.
"
The_x_ile wrote:
- can it soppurts COC / cwdt ?
Yes.
"
The_x_ile wrote:
(so my sowrd will start to cast spells linked to it)
No. The skill is a spell, not an attack, and is already triggered. Supporting it with a cast on trigger support gem would mean it would be cast on that trigger. Because it already has a trigger, the spell would then be disabled for having two triggers.

"
taggedjc wrote:
Regarding Kintsugi's "50% increased Evasion if you were Hit Recently"

is this a funny way of saying "50% increased Evasion rating"?
Yes. I have fixed the description locally.

"
kolton wrote:
When Contagion spreads Essence Drain, is the degen order maintained or somehow changed?
For a specific example - I cast Contagion linked with Item Rarity on a group of monsters, then cast Essence Drain on one of them and they all die from Contagion spreading ED. Will Item Rarity affect them all?
First Contagion is added to the monsters, then Essence Drain. If they were not already under the effect of debuffs, contagion will be the "first" debuff on them, until that contagion runs out.

"
gr00grams wrote:
If the new taunt mechanics where others take reduced damage applies to Stone Golem and Decoy Totem.
I.e.
If they taunt, do I take the 10% less damage?
Yes, from the taunted enemies.

"
Warhole wrote:
Since cospri's is the item doing the poisoning, and not bladefall, the tooltip for bladefall says nothing about poisoning. Will rapid decay as a 6th link increase the poison dot from Cospri's?
Bladefall cannot be supported by Rapid Decay.

"
TDA wrote:
Does Obliteration
Profane Bloom
Abyssal's Cry's explosion radius scale with aoe nodes?
Yes

"
Sivluu wrote:
Is Beacon of Ruin's (Elementalist's ascendancy perk) radius affected by Increased AoE/Concentrated Effect support gems?
Yes, but the skill needs to be one that can be supported by those gems for them to have any effect.

"
Khornaar wrote:
I have a question about Abyssal Cry and its interaction with critical strikes.
When does critical strike check occurs? in a moment of initial cast or in a moment of monster exploding?
Checking whether a hit is a critical strike or not is always done when that specific hit is calculated, and cannot be done at any other time, because your critical strike chance can be different for different hits.
The critical strike roll is only made once, when the skill is cast, just like most skills. All hits from the same action have the same roll, but are potentially checking against different chances to crit, so may or may not crit on different enemies.

"
ttylol wrote:
Could you confirm that the Doomfletch (and it's fated version) mechanic "Gain 110% of Bow Physical Damage as Extra Damage" scales with flat added phys from other items?
Yes.

"
Why is frost wall so inconsistent at blocking certain player projectile attacks (namely explosive arrow)?
Teams cannot be correctly set on the client for objects that aren't actors. This is a known bug which is difficult to solve because migrating team serialisation code to generic object code breaks existing and required functionality in other cases.

"
Justifi3d wrote:
do "chance to avoid stuns when x" nodes and mods on gear work with block animations

I mean do you also get a chance to avoid a block animation or does the animation always happen unless stun immune?
You only play a block animation if a hit would have stunned you if not blocked. Since you avoided the stun, the hit would not stun you, and there is no block animtion.

"
Khisanth wrote:
Does Hypothermia's more damage affect Vortex's DoT?
No. Conditional modifiers cannot apply to DoT, because the condition could change during the DoT.

"
PapaPetro wrote:
Is linking via fuses deterministic (i.e. runs based off an algorithm where the individual fuses have a hidden variable) or is it random (some sort of rand function).
Since I know there are some people who'll jump in and accusme me of lying if I'm not specific, they're psuedorandom. For all practical purposes, they're random, but computers don't do "true" randomness.

"
PapaPetro wrote:
Do maps have hidden extra mods? Sometimes I see maps with 4 tormented spirits or 2+ exiles without any explicit/implicit mods or Zana map device effects attached. If so, do these hidden mods affect IIQ/map drop rates?
Those are generated normally. If you do enough maps, you'll see things like that. They aren't caused by any hidden mods.

"
Nithryok wrote:
Death's Oath chest, 450 chaos damage per second to enemy around. Does this dot scale off of chaos damage in the passive tree?
No. The item directly applies the damage to enemies, your stats are not involved.

"
cmphx wrote:
1. do you think you can give this more structure?
I have a few minor plans to include commonly requested information, but ultimately the volume of questsions means things like linking them all in the first post will be completely impractical. The thread can be searched, viewed with the dev-posts-only filter, and importantly, specific responses can be linked to by Support or anyone else answering questions in future.
"
cmphx wrote:
2Rapid decay: Can you clarify in which cases the gem actually works? I heard rumors that it does not apply to RF, since its not technically a duration gem. However it will apply to RF if its linked with spell totem, because that makes it duration. Why is this?
You answered your own question here - because it's now a duration skill, and Rapid Decay only supports duration skills.
"
cmphx wrote:
Follow-up question: Does rapid decay work if I link it to a bow Skill (lets say Lightning arrow - gmp - pierce - void manip - rapid decay) and I use snakebite to apply poison. Will Rapid decay ( and void manip for that matter) work with the poison indirectly applied through snakebite?
Rapid Decay only supports duration skills.
"
cmphx wrote:
3. Lightning arrow secondary "aoe": Does conc effect increase the damage that the secondary, up to 3 target hitting thing from lightning arrow does to nearby targets?
No. Lightning Arrow does not deal area damage.
"
cmphx wrote:
Same question for Kinetic blast: If I link it with conc effect and I apply poison with it, do poison stacks get the 59% more damage if the poison is applied through the explosion ?
Yes.
"
cmphx wrote:
4. Hinekora and instant leech: Chieftains "Hinekora" node now gives "1% of damage dealt by your totems is leeched to you as life". Does it work with any of the instantleech sources ? ( acuity, legacy Vinktar, vaal pact)
Yes. This node does nothing to change how leech applies to you, it just leeches life.
"
cmphx wrote:
5. Scolds and crit: Do things like "%increased chance to receive a critical strike" work with the damage you get from using skills while wearing scolds?
Scold's Bridle self-damage cannot crit.
"
cmphx wrote:
6. Diamond flask and Assassin's Mark How do I correctly calculate my effective crit chance against a monster that has assassins mark on it and i use a diamond flask? More in detail, do i first add the flat chance to my crit chance, then apply the diamond flask math 1-(1-critchance)² or is it the other way round?
The diamond flask does not affect chance to crit. Chance to crit is worked out, inclduing all modifiers such as Assassin's Mark, then compared to the Crit Roll of the skill. The Diamond flask does nothing at this point, it affects when the crit roll is made, by rolling twice and taking the better of the two rolls.
"
cmphx wrote:
7. Updated Skill AoE values Can you release a list of AoE values for skills ? The wiki has data on some, but its outdated and the new skills often lack it completely. Would be nice to have the numbers so we can compare.
This is the main thing I was referring to under having plans to include commonly requested information in the first post of this thread.

"
uzoom wrote:
if Nemesis proc in Mysterious Darkshrine (Your nemeses hunt you: Nemesis is added to the areas within the Labyrinth), then can chance headhunter?
No.

"
Pepock wrote:
so to confirm cluster traps and multi traps reduce the damage done when it is tied to the gem even by something such as linking mirror/blink arrow to trap and cluster trap the dmg reduce applies to minions and so they do less damage when using either cluster or multi?

but also the reverse side doesn't apply the same way in that the trap damage when tied to a bow minion does not increase the damage
Yes.
"
Pepock wrote:
ie: only way to really scale mirror/blink arrow is to scale minion damage and trap reductions apply but trap increases do not apply to bow minions
No. Trap damage modifiers do not apply to minions summoned by traps. Cluster Trap and Multitrap give "less damage", not "less trap damage" - the reason it applies is because it is not a modifier to "trap damage"[/quote]

"
mazul wrote:
How is the target priority of enemy monsters determined when there is no taunt involved? Like for instance when there are 3 people entering a room with monsters, how do they monsters decide who to attack? Is it fully deterministic or does it use "randomness" to choose target?
Depends on the monster's AI.

"
widardd wrote:
I would love to get a complete list of what "on kill effect" works with totems/traps and which don't.
Trying to get a comprehensive list of all on kill effects in the game is beyond the scope of this thread. Are there specific ones you're unsure of? In pretty much all cases, you need to kill something to trigger an on-kill effect (Headhunter is a notable exception, which we're looking to find good wording for).

"
kaptn_games wrote:
When looking and skills and effects that are not gained by skill gems, but some other way, is there a good rule of thumb to know if these are effected by our passives/items/flasks/ascendencies?
Yes, but it's not going to come in the form of some big list of things that work with other things. It comes from understanding the mechanics, which determine all the results. In general, any of your modifier stats apply to anything you do (that is the thing they apply to).
"
kaptn_games wrote:
gratious violance / obilteration wand explosions, skills on glove enchants: do i get inc dmg from sulfour flask? (yes) is the AOE increased from passives? ( dont know) +1 base crit Chance from assasin? (dont know)
Yes, Yes, Yes. The explosions are caused by you and use your stats. The skills are just like any other skills, and you can check them in the character panel to see things apply.
"
kaptn_games wrote:
secondory and or primary dmg DoT's: bleed, poison, burn from aplicable skills. RF dmg increased by Sulfur flask? (yes) posion dmg apllied by an attack increased by Sulfur flask? (dont know)
Damage over time is damage. The Sulfur flask providfes increased damage. This applies.
"
kaptn_games wrote:
Duration of skills from temporal chains: vaal auras Duration increased? (yes) summon ragins Spirit Duration increased? (dont know)
The answer is no to all of these cases - Temporal Chains does not increase the duration of anything. It slows down how fast timed effects think time is passing. This affects anything which has an icon with a timer.
Quite a reply, thank you.

When do buffs affect a spell like flameblast? Say I'm using orb of storms to proc elemental overload - if the buff is triggered after I begin channeling flameblast, does it apply since it's active for the explosion? If the buff is active when channeling begins but times out before the explosion, it doesn't apply? Likewise, is crit for flameblast itself determined on explosion or when you begin channeling?

Debuffs (eg elemental equilibrium and curses) simply need to be active on explosion, right?
Last edited by ogit on Jun 9, 2016, 2:23:51 AM
Profane bloom/Ed/Contagion interaction - sometimes enemies affected by both contagion and essence drain dies and explodes because profane bloom spreads contagion but not essence drain. Is this intended ? Sorry for my english
How is "8% reduced Elemental Damage Taken while at Maximum Endurance Charges" from the Unrelenting Juggernaut notable calculated? My initial thought was that it just removed a flat 8% from the final damage directed to the character, but it feels a lot more powerful than that in practice (which might just be me imagining things, I admit).
Can a monster give the Punishment buff to the player with reflect?
Hi Mark! Thanks for all of the incredible things you do at GGG!

A question relating to buff effects and how they stack with Ascendancies:

Each Ichimonji give 10% increased buffs on you.

Elementalist Witch
1) How does this interact with Elemental Conflux? Are the effects more potent or does it not buff it at all? (Are the Ignites doing increased damage? Is the Shock made more potent? Is the chill slower?) How does this interact with Golems and Liege of the Primordial? Is the 100% additive with Ichimonji?

Raider Ranger
2) How does this interact with Ranger's Avatar of the Chase Onslaught buff? The 50% is additive with Ichimonji(s)? How does this interact? (Dual Wield Ichimonji as a Raider and get 70% increased effect of Onslaught?)

General
3) Are Righteous Fire and Blood Rage's degeneration effect on the player made more potent? (This is currently what the wiki says is true)

Dual wielding Ichimonji increases these effects additively, I assume? (From 10% to 20% buff effect)

Any additional hidden effects when buffs are scaled? Is there unfavorable or favorable rounding involved? (Arctic Armor, Blood Rage, etc)

<3 Camdacop

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info