[2.6] The Curse Whisperer - Tri-Curse CI Whispering Ice Elementalist - Viable for Everything

Hi guys,

I've been trying this build (lvl91 now) and it is actually great, not really easy to find or craft the perfect items but once done it really worth.

I would like to ask your opinion about the heretic's veil, anyone had experience with it?

I also have doubts about the 88/92 skill points reaching the last jewel, they could be used on the ES section increasing it significantly.

Cheers
"
Surlyrich wrote:
Am I missing something regarding capping resists? Looking at the gear posted at the start of the thread "2.6 Prophecy league, after 2 weeks" I calculate resists as follows: Fire- 30% | Cold- 61% | Lightning- 90% This includes resist nodes from the passive tree including Diamond Skin.

Your calculations are wrong. Resists are shown in Stats.

"
KallasAK wrote:
I ended up with the following gear:
Spoiler

standard to this build:

different:

The chest is abundant, a unique for Perandus Signet and has equal resistances for the flask.
The boots resolve any bleed issues, are easy to color RRRG, and give another endurance charge, win-win-win.
The amulet is a cheap astramentis and has some good leech buffs.
The gloves can be anything, but I used these and Aurseize. The rampage keeps you in a good rhythm.
All of my gear is unique, so the Perandus Signet bonus is mighty.

Had 203 str, 121 dex, 1255 int, with 6556 ES and 67/1343 mana.

Well, that's... terrible? :(

There have been a few attempts at all-unique setups to get higher Int from Perandus (which usually meant dropping 1 curse and using 2 Peranduses), and they all were much better than your result, but still they were never as good as the original setup and had various flaws that made them bad for the endgame. All-unique is just novelty but there is no real reason to go for it. Especially after the introduction of essences in 2.4 that was specifically meant by GGG as 'making rares great again'.

"
Asag wrote:
Getting the offcolours (3r1g) is probbaly hardest part on this build :/

Don't do it until you can afford it (i.e. have 1k+ chroms to blow). Use the helmet for the RRRG link until then.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Mar 28, 2017, 12:31:58 PM
orb of storms specifically states that it can only be selfcast; linking it with cwdt will not work.

about astramentis vs chayula:

yes, only 5 points on the way to US are wasted, but there's also an opportunity cost. spending a point on a str node on the way to US that then gets converted into 10 base int is not a waste, but there are plenty of spots on the tree where you can spend points for more than 10int each. for example, you can take the jewel socket next to CI for 3 points, plus the 30 str node next to it. so thats 54 int for 4 passive points, or 13.5 int per point.

the way to US is 17 points, and provides 164 int. spending those points at 13.5 int per node instead would yield 229 int. so the true cost of picking up US is roughly 65 base int. switching astra for chayula costs more than those 65 int, plus all the trouble you get yourself into when it comes to str and dex. therefore, even though the "US only costs us 5 points"-argument is shallow, astramentis still is clearly the better option.

about how to spend 60ex: a +curse astramentis is the better option. you dont need 60ex to get a 900ish chest with int and maybe 30res.

about all unique setups: they have been done before and even with dual legacy perandus, they dont reach more than 2.6k int. with great gear, a +1 curse astra and dual legacy perandus, this build can quite comfortably reach 2.3k+ int. with much higher utility, a better ascendancy, less res issues, much higher damage. all unique or all-out int maximization yields gimmick builds that are worse than kelvynn's setup in every respect.
Last edited by Black_Gun on Mar 28, 2017, 12:38:37 PM
"
Sessvisto wrote:
Why are u using rare jewels in this build?
For example Izaro's Turmoil is 50% fire and cold moar dmg, when ur rare jewel is about 44%. (16% fire, 16% cold, 12% area dmg)

btw.
in gear section u typed "2.6 Prophecy league, after 2 weeks:" instead of legacy league.

Btw.

in The Wise Oak flask if my higgest res is cold, it works same as fire, cuz i got 100% converted to fire, right?

All jewels are Increased damage (additive), not MORE (multiplicative). The method of evaluating them is in the Gear-Jewels section.

Why use a 44 value rare instead of a perfect Izaro? Because that's too expensive for only 6 more value. Rares with 42-44 value were 10-15c in this league (my gear snapshot is 2 weeks into it). In Standard I don't use Izaros anymore because all my rares there are better than 50 value.

Fixed the league name, thanks.

Damage conversion doesn't work for resist penetration. If fire resist is not your highest, you get no penetration from the Wise Oak.

"
Xion_XIV wrote:
Probably has been asked but, what about EE?

Indeed, this has been asked enough times. Added it to Q&A now.

"
JaxBen10 wrote:
"
For the top bosses, a swap staff for MF culling can be quite useful. RRRBBG: LL, CtF, FP/IQ, SR - CwC, IR, Culling Strike. Swap to it when the boss is at 10% life or less.

Am I crazy, or is that 7 gems? It seems that there is an extra Blue (Item Rarity/IR). Since its supposed to be MF culling, would RRBBBG make more sense? Life Leech, Cold to Fire, Scorching Ray - Cast While Channeling, Item Rarity, Culling?

I meant "FP/IQ" as "FP or IQ" since the IQ gem is only available in Standard (you can get it in the Legacy league too, but it's way too expensive).

Changed the wording to be more clear.

"
Cleista wrote:
Should I invest 60 exalts into a 900 ES 6L body armor piece or a +1 Curses Astramentis? It feels like the Astramentis would pay better dividends because it frees up a ring slot, but I like the idea of 200 more base ES and being able to link Orb of Storms to my curses so I don't necessarily have to get hit to apply them.

If you have 60 ex to blow, go for the +1 Astra. It will allow you to use another Perandus Signet for a good Int boost, i.e. DPS and some ES too. Raw ES is not really valuable for this build.

6L is a lesser upgrade in comparison. It's nice but +1 Astra is the best. Also, 6L doesn't cost that much. If you have that kinda budget, you can 6L your chest too.

"
Messiah_sin_x wrote:
I have searched the FAQ and I havent found a mention of it.

How about using Eye of Chayulahttps://goo.gl/y415MP instead of Astramentis.
We'll lose most of the atributes that Astramentis gives us and we'll have to most likely redesign the whole skill tree to make up for the STR and DEX atribute requirement but that will allow us to no longer depend on Unawering Stance which is hard to reach.

Updated Q.9 and added Eye of Chayula there. The loss of 100 All Stats would ruin the build. There is no way 5 tree nodes can even begin to compensate for that.

"
Allevart wrote:
I would like to ask your opinion about the heretic's veil, anyone had experience with it?

I also have doubts about the 88/92 skill points reaching the last jewel, they could be used on the ES section increasing it significantly.

See Q&A #11 and the notes about raw ES in the Leveling Guide.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Mar 28, 2017, 1:13:44 PM
"
Kelvynn wrote:
"
JaxBen10 wrote:
"
For the top bosses, a swap staff for MF culling can be quite useful. RRRBBG: LL, CtF, FP/IQ, SR - CwC, IR, Culling Strike. Swap to it when the boss is at 10% life or less.

Am I crazy, or is that 7 gems? It seems that there is an extra Blue (Item Rarity/IR). Since its supposed to be MF culling, would RRBBBG make more sense? Life Leech, Cold to Fire, Scorching Ray - Cast While Channeling, Item Rarity, Culling?

I meant "FP/IQ" as "FP or IQ" since the IQ gem is only available in Standard (you can get it in the Legacy league too, but it's way too expensive).

Changed the wording to be more clear.

LL (1), CtF (2), FP (or IQ) (3), SR (4) - CwC (5), IR (6), Culling Strike (7). You can't socket 7 gems in an item, and you don't say anywhere that one of those 7 gems is interchangeable for another, so you're suggesting to use 7 gems in a 6 socket, which is obviously impossible.
"
Levirael wrote:
LL (1), CtF (2), FP (or IQ) (3), SR (4) - CwC (5), IR (6), Culling Strike (7). You can't socket 7 gems in an item, and you don't say anywhere that one of those 7 gems is interchangeable for another, so you're suggesting to use 7 gems in a 6 socket, which is obviously impossible.

Oops! :)

Indeed, I forgot to change it after adding CtF. It should be "CtF or IQ" now. In Standard you just use the legacy Pyre and IQ. In a temp league you use CtF.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Mar 28, 2017, 1:19:20 PM
Hi,
First of all thank you for this well written guide.
I just leveled my charakter to level 79 and it was really smooth.
But why do you grep Coldhearted Calculation, Potency of Will and Amplify so early? I had enough damage (with the nice leveling uniques) to skip those and went for Unwavering Stance and Diamond Skin early, because i value capping resistances and beeing stun immune much higher. Also i got Unwavering Stance just before Lunaris Temple in Mercy. That was nice, because of the titty bitches. Skill Tree would be:
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMCAAQHEFgRLRFQEzUV1xekGS4abBqBHOcdFB1PHwIn7SlPKjgsnCy_LR81uTbFOtg9Dz1fRnFMi0yzUXRSU1ZIVmNXDV9qX7BmVGhlah5tGW-efLt_xoKbgwmD94TFhXuGrodljr6PRo_6kPqSwZMnlSCXlZu1na6ezZ_LoS-io6aZpwinK6cwr42vm6-ntAy-isHFwfPDOsQVxPbKSsrT0NDSIdQH1abYJNlh3I3fbd-w5CLsGOw470vyL_Ob

I'm not sure about Amplify at all. I don't have it now and the area feels ok even with conc.
In general increasing aoe does decrease damage, doesn't it? Trickery e.g. seems more efficient in terms of dps. I think a tree like this might be better:
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMCABzc2WGboR0U7DgD7o8aVmNsCK-b2-dGcRBYg_cYat9t0NAabIV7d-WnCClP85tMi5u1wcWCx5UgUlM2xYMJksGvp2ZULJy4k1BChMUXpDlS0B_UB-_roS_Vpu9LxBUagT0PxPY9X6-NVkhoZYw2TLMV1yy_DkiGrh8C8YrDOsrTVw3sGBku2CQzh4_6NbkdT5_Lf8byL46-3I2Cm57NBAcRLZeVna462N-wX2pYB3y7KjjkIqKjJ-2PRm0ZvooRlhFQpzBHBrQMkPotHxM1oi5RdG-eh2Uc58pKXfJfsNIhKPodvqcrwfOmmWoe6-6TJw==

I used a purity for leveling as arctic armour and warlords mark wasn't needed at all.
This might be a good suggestion for the leveling section.

At the moment i don't have the currency for a good Black Sun Crest or a rare Crystal Belt so i did some calculations with Path of Building. It shows me that (with my gear, but lvl 90 and lvl 20 gems) the Black Sun Crest would only give like 200 damage but i would lose like 500Es compared to Doedre's Scorn. I don't think that is really worth it. I also compared Bated Breath to Auxium and Bated Breath gives only like 50Es less but 550 more damage. And about freeze/chill mitigation i think that can be done with flasks. So imo Bated Breath+Doedre's Scorn seem to be better than Black Sun Crest+Auxium.

My Gear for reference:
Spoiler

What do you think about it?
Last edited by cuchio on Mar 28, 2017, 3:14:39 PM
I'm wondering, how does Black Sun Crest stack up against a top tier Hubris? Surely the 15% INT doesn't cover the amount of defences you'd get from a rare Hubris.

Also, looking at some of the gear posted throughout the thread, how the hell do you people cap your resistances? o.O

Maybe I'm a bit more biased towards defence because I'm playing on HC, but low ES pool aside, you should AT LEAST cap resistances for mapping, no?
Would anybody like some... POUNDCAKE?
Having +10 res on jewels, Bandit reward, quite a lot res skilled in the tree.
So you would definitely choose the BSC over a top tier Hubris?
Would anybody like some... POUNDCAKE?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info