[2.6] The Curse Whisperer - Tri-Curse CI Whispering Ice Elementalist - Viable for Everything

I got some gear upgrades but i got a question about the helmet. Currently i have a nice 200 ES helmet with some INT on it but i been wondering how important the Crest Helmet would be, is it really worth losing around 1k ES just for it? Right now i got around 7.8k ES and 1.252 INT, without the helmet i will go down to around 6.5k ES.
"
kreca73 wrote:
dude, DUDE! ... zerker, CI, ZO, ghost reaver, potential for going crit with flask+crit gem support at ~lvl92. sure, int is also a suffix but it's not much of a hindrance.

leech on ascendancy, stun immune on ascendancy, 40% more dmg on ascendancy. that's the meta.

rough planner:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAECAL8IJDenbeDY-F9f0CGQ6hB7jCUnXUlnm64-xq48LYNfC2GvbGjyg8y3PkGH-eiCxyj6V8kNfLiTHNyPGuvupwidrhps98HYJI9Gm6EYangvfOVYBx0Ur402xR8CBAdMs9Af7-tFfg5cavrr5F8ql5VSU5f0PV9tGS0flSDB86Kjf8bBxewYLL8V14auVmOP-vDVSVHQ0F9qEZYOSLcw6FomiF3yKwoRL1F0jummmY5k96a2-gxfHKdTpZy-DR88KPfXhEhca8NtVkiTJ76KoS8=

Berserker has been proposed before. I even considered it for 2.4 before deciding that Inquisitor is more interesting. I might consider it again for 2.5.

ZO instead of VP? That's not going to work against the endgame bosses. Non-instant leech has been FUBAR since 2.0 and only works when you have another serious defensive mechanic. We don't have one. Savage Hit does not work with CI, if you take ANY life damage you are dead.

Stuff 'if you've killed recently' doesn't work against a lot of bosses. There is often nothing to kill 'recently'. Relying on flasks would require a way to replenish them in boss fights. That works with crit builds. But I haven't seen any good way to go crit with WI yet.

Your tree would result in a very low Int, I think. If you want to be efficient with WI you need Int. Lots of it.

Anyway, Berserker is one of the possibilities to consider adapting this build to. But it would need a lot of serious thinking and trying.
"
SaintLucifer wrote:
I got some gear upgrades but i got a question about the helmet. Currently i have a nice 200 ES helmet with some INT on it but i been wondering how important the Crest Helmet would be, is it really worth losing around 1k ES just for it? Right now i got around 7.8k ES and 1.252 INT, without the helmet i will go down to around 6.5k ES.

Int is everything, ES is secondary. Trading 1k ES for 1k Icestorm tooltip is very good, and with a decent Black Sun you actually get more. I've already mentioned it before in this thread that Black Sun Crest was an UPGRADE over this:

Of course, you need a lot more than 1200 Int to see the full potential of the +%Int mods. But you will get 1500+ Int eventually, and then it will be very worth it.

200 ES helmet is junk anyway.
Just gone with your advice and got a cheap 13% Crest helmet, seems the drop on ES wasn't as bad as i thought it would be anyway, still over 7k with it. Now i have to save some cash to see if i can get a 15% INT eventually i guess.
I started the league with a berserker version of WI. Have a look at my profile for the tree, the char name is "Embrace_the_Future".

The trick with berserker is the following: due to his permanent life and mana leech (1% permanently, 3% if killed recently), berserker needs neither the life leech gem nor an aurafied warlords mark. So berserker opens up a gem slot for cold to fire, which opens up one ring slot. The 35% freed up mana reservation can go towards purity of elements to compensate for the loss of res from the tree (berserker gets less of it than elementalist or scion.) Warlords mark can be applied as a lvl 5 curse via lvl 1 cwdt. The 40% more multiplier compensates for a lot of the lower int and loss of other benefits (double golem, extra penetration from discord, etc.)

For a new league, I would still recommend the elementalist though. Having to trade for almost all the key gems on the first night is annoying and costs lots of valuable time.

Even though I like the berserker version, I prefer the lowlife elementalist version that I am currently playing. IF one is willing to skip stun immunity, what I am currently playing is most likely the absolute best take on this build. Better than Kelv's CI version, better than the lowlife guardian version of this other guy that forces 2.6k int. Maybe I'll post the gear and thought process behind it this weekend.

Last edited by Black_Gun on Oct 28, 2016, 3:27:05 PM
"
Black_Gun wrote:
I started the league with a berserker version of WI. Have a look at my profile for the tree, the char name is "Embrace_the_Future".

The trick with berserker is the following: due to his permanent life and mana leech (1% permanently, 3% if killed recently), berserker needs neither the life leech gem nor an aurafied warlords mark. So berserker opens up a gem slot for cold to fire, which opens up one ring slot. The 35% freed up mana reservation can go towards purity of elements to compensate for the loss of res from the tree (berserker gets less of it than elementalist or scion.) Warlords mark can be applied as a lvl 5 curse via lvl 1 cwdt. The 40% more multiplier compensates for a lot of the lower int and loss of other benefits (double golem, extra penetration from discord, etc.)

For a new league, I would still recommend the elementalist though. Having to trade for almost all the key gems on the first night is annoying and costs lots of valuable time.

Even though I like the berserker version, I prefer the lowlife elementalist version that I am currently playing. IF one is willing to skip stun immunity, what I am currently playing is most likely the absolute best take on this build. Better than Kelv's CI version, better than the lowlife guardian version of this other guy that forces 2.6k int. Maybe I'll post the gear and thought process behind it this weekend.

Very interesting! I'd definitely like to take a look at your Berserker and LL versions. Can you open the characters in your profile?
"
Kelvynn wrote:
"
Black_Gun wrote:

Very interesting! I'd definitely like to take a look at your Berserker and LL versions. Can you open the characters in your profile?

Ah, sry, forgot that. Profile is open now.
A note about my current lowlife version: when I finally get a reduced mana reservation enchant on the helm, I can take out enlighten, swap some gems around and add in faster attacks for my leap slam. Being extremely socket-starved is one of the drawbacks of the lowlife version. ;)
Last edited by Black_Gun on Oct 28, 2016, 4:20:06 PM
"
Black_Gun wrote:
A note about my current lowlife version: when I finally get a reduced mana reservation enchant on the helm, I can take out enlighten, swap some gems around and add in faster attacks for my leap slam. Being extremely socket-starved is one of the drawbacks of the lowlife version. ;)

Thanks! I think you were the one who proposed the Berserker version before, right? Yeah, it should work, and I can think of a few tweaks too. But the main question is stun. Immunity to stun only 'when you've killed recently' is gonna hurt against things like Rigwald and Chimera. How do you deal with the physical bosses that don't constantly spawn adds? How do you kill Chimera without stun immunity? His regular attacks should stun you a lot, and the fog phase should be very rippy.

LL Elementalist: Hmmm... indeed, I'd like to see the thought process behind this. At first glance I don't see how it can be better than this CI version. What are your stats? Are you able to do the endgame bosses easier than this version?
Last edited by Kelvynn on Oct 28, 2016, 4:41:44 PM
"
Kelvynn wrote:
"
Black_Gun wrote:

Thanks! I think you were the one who proposed the Berserker version before, right? Yeah, it should work, and I can think of a few tweaks too. But the main question is stun. Immunity to stun only 'when you've killed recently' is gonna hurt against things like Rigwald and Chimera. How do you deal with the physical bosses that don't constantly spawn adds? How do you kill Chimera without stun immunity? His regular attacks should stun you a lot, and the fog phase should be very rippy.

LL Elementalist: Hmmm... indeed, I'd like to see the thought process behind this. At first glance I don't see how it can be better than this CI version. What are your stats? Are you able to do the endgame bosses easier than this version?

Yes, I was the guy suggesting berserker before. ;)

Both on the berserker and on my lowlife elementalist versions, stun is a minor issue from time to time, but no biggie. Rigwald is very easy in most cases since I can nuke him before he does anything. (He usually starts the fight with his wolf barrage. dodge it, start stacking icestorms on him. after his wolf barrage, it takes him 2-3 seconds to enter his shapeshifter form. during those seconds, he has no added damage reduction and just melts.) I did twinned dark forest with really sick damage mods without a problem thanks to this, just nuke him before anything bad happens.

I also did core with -max, ele reflect, vulnerability and another damage mod deathless. (Although it was sketchy...)

The one instance where stun becomes an issue is the chimera fight's fog phase. My solution is to bring a jade flask with 50% increased stun recovery. Combined with a granite and a basalt flask, this usually carries me through his fog phase. But doing the chimera with damage mods is not recommended; indeed. Another issue, as I indicated some days ago, are the guardian fights with damage mods. I can mostly complete them, yes, but doing so deathless doesnt work out when they have more than say 1 damage mod on them. My lowlife version has 8.370 ES and can reach up to 15k avg damage with 0.31s cast time when fully buffed. However, getting higher ES than, say, 9k, is almost impossible on my lowlife build; and its not enough to facetank certain telegraphed attacks during the guardian fights (e.g. phoenix cyclone, minotaurs underground roll) as soon as there are significant damage mods on the map.

During my first shaper attempt (done on the lowlife elementalist), I failed during the third phase, but that was mostly due to me playing like total shit. On the second try, I killed him with ease.

When I tried the hydra with -max, temp chains and shocked ground, I got completely brutalized and ripped 6 times before getting him to half health. But I guess your CI elementalist or templar versions wouldnt have fared that much better... that was just a silly roll.

I'll post the specifics of the lowlife version in a couple of hours. Essentially, the build feels stronger and faster in everything t1-15, and can reliably do atziri, shaper and guardians without damage mods. But I struggle against guardians with dangerous mods; and I'm not quite sure if this is an issue of my take on the build or just a general thing that would apply to your CI version as well.
Sorry for asking so many questions, but i was wondering if you have any tips for how to deal with "Bearers" please? I keep dying to then because they die too fast for me to notice it on the name and since the ground is covered in ice, i can't see that i'm surrounded by mines and end dead most of the time.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info