"Support" Gems... *Barf*

"
Jennik wrote:
How would it do that, though? This change gives no extra information over the previous gems. If they didn't know they had to link them before, how could a change that adds no new information change this?

Before, people would look at the title and think "Oooh, 'added lightning damage', I guess that will give me some added lightning damage." Then they'd socket it and be disappointed/confused/unaware that it didn't add any lightning damage.

Now, they'll see "Added Lightning Damage Support" and think "Who named this stupid ass gem?". And then they will think "Well, I guess it will give me some added lightning damage support. Whatever that means. I have no idea. Wtf GGG what are you thinking."

However, if they called it "Added Lightning Damage: Support" or "Added Lightning Damage (Support)" - especially if the word support was in a different colour, then it might get people think "Aha, this will give added lightning damage to skills it supports." Which would definitely help the confusion.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on May 28, 2016, 8:46:24 AM
The problem with that idea is that the way it supports a skill is not explained. Even if adding the word "support" to the title in crazy rainbow colors somehow gets someone to realize this supports your skills in some way when they otherwise wouldn't, it still doesn't tell them how it supports skills. It doesn't make them any less likely to just jam the gem into their boots and think it's adding some lightning damage to the Elemental Hit in their shield.

If people honestly aren't understanding how links work, a useful change would be to add a tutorial at some point early in the game that explains how links and support gems work. Maybe Tarkleigh could break it all down in a speech that ends in him giving the player a 3-link and a support gem.

What they've done instead of something useful like that is add an extraneous word to the name of support gems. Whatever their reasons for doing it, that's just dumb.
This "addition" simply breaks the logic barrier..I can't help but think that there are elements inside GGG who start to show signs of deterioration. Don't have other explanations. I surrender.
It would probably good enough to add a symbol to the gems to separate between active and support. Either in the description, or to the inventory icon. Hell, even a different frame around the icon or a background would be good enough. And it'd help sorting the inventory to boot. But, that would require more resources to implement than an addition to the name entries in the database.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
How about a symbol of two sockets linked together (And the correct coloured gem in one of the sockets)? Maybe make the link glow on and off so it's clear what's going on.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on May 28, 2016, 5:12:46 PM
If you are dumb enough to dont know these gems are support gems, you just... can't play this game.
Glowing green mouse cursor plz.
God no...

FFS, GGG, just write a fucking tutorial chapter and put it in the game optionally! Jesus fucking christ.
Quoting Saltychipmunk:
...I look at the new act 5 boss where you have to hide behind the statues to survive the bullet hell and all I can think is... how the fuck are zombies going to survive that?

They don't know what hiding is... they don't know what dodging is... they are morons.
Welp Minion and Totem Elemental Resistance Support's name has become even longer xD
Last edited by sinfoniantuba11 on May 28, 2016, 9:02:51 PM
"
Jennik wrote:

If people honestly aren't understanding how links work, a useful change would be to add a tutorial at some point early in the game that explains how links and support gems work. Maybe Tarkleigh could break it all down in a speech that ends in him giving the player a 3-link and a support gem.

That's a cool idea. Having a tri-linked item as a reward is a nice touch, because it would be useful to a brand-new player (the target for such a tutorial message).

I personally think the description that already exists on the gem itself is sufficient, however. Anyone not understanding how links work after reading that WILL need human assistance, at which point modifying the names of every support gem has become an exercise in redundance.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Well it makes sense in a coding aspect. People complaining about this is like people asking that all Skill Gems don't show tooltips at all and leave it to random guessing. That New Fancy Skill Gem? It's calculated of Melee Physical Damage but uses Spell Casting and uses a Green Color but feeds off DEX,STR,INT.
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info