"Support" Gems... *Barf*

Ew... Having "Support" at end of Gem names is so weird...

"Faster Attacks Support"

*barf*
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
Last bumped on Jun 3, 2016, 6:26:31 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Well it certainly helps for confusing names. Hypothermia, for example, could easily be misinterpreted as being a curse. Multistrike, Culling Strike or Ice Bite could be interpreted as being attacks. Many of them could be misinterpreted as being auras or obscure spells (Bloodlust, Void Manipulation, Blasphemy, Innervate).

It just means they can have more distinct names for support gems without making them sound like skills, or having skills that could sound like supports.
I thought that was what the support tag was for, but I don't really care where or how that's displayed. As long as it's not twice.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I thought that was what the support tag was for, but I don't really care where or how that's displayed. As long as it's not twice.

It still makes it faster, especially when they're on the ground.
I agree with OP

Sounds AWFUL.

Also guess what's already attached to every single support gem?

Spoiler
This is a Support Gem. It does not grant a bonus to your character, but skills in sockets connected to it. Place into an item socket connected to a socket containing the Active Skill Gem you wish to augment. Right click to remove from a socket.

Please... don't go through with this change.
ok so far the only patch note I've seen people not get upset over is the Thicket being 50%
I can't wait to see how much screen real estate a "Superior Minion and Totem Elemental Resistance Support" gem is going to take. lol
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
Almost every change to make the game easier to understand for new players I fully support. This one's just stupid, though. Understanding the difference between active skills and supports is trivial, even for new players.

Even someone who doesn't understand tags can easily understand it simply by reading the gem. Anyone who can see the gem, see the tags, read what the gem does, and still not understand whether it's an active skill or a support is dumb enough that the word "support" at the end of the name is unlikely to change things.

It's not like players pointing out the idiocy of this change will make GGG reverse it. Maybe it will keep them from making similar dumb changes in the future, though. I really hope it will. This is such a dumb change. I'm not sure that it will facilitate understanding for even a single player, and now we all have to deal with idiotic sounding support names and extra screen clutter.
Last edited by Jennik on May 28, 2016, 4:32:09 AM
I think you're missing the issue, Jennik. Players aren't confused between Active and Support gems, they are confused about how support gems work. They think support gems are passive gems. So you can just socket added lightning damage in your armour and get added lightning damage. I think this change is designed to help them realise that they actually need to support a skill with them.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
How would it do that, though? This change gives no extra information over the previous gems. If they didn't know they had to link them before, how could a change that adds no new information change this?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info