Game constantly crashing PC randomly...

Hey there,

Can you please let me know if your GTX 980TI SLI is enabled? If so can you please disable it and see if this puts the crashing to a stop.
Hi, there is NO SLI enabled, I only have 1 video card. Although today I played and no crash. I played for around hour and everything was fine.
BUMP?
Today I played for 12hr+, NO CRASH, then in the night it started crashing....like what?? any idea?
PoE crashes my PC randomly too, using Nvidia GTX760, i5 4670k with good cooling and 600W corsair power supply. Drivers are up-to-date, system (win7 64-bit) is up to date too. I've checked SMART of hard drives, used bootable memtest for sth like six hours, used linpack to test my CPU, used few benchmarks and more graphics-demanding games, monitored voltages (with hwmonitor and with good multimeter too), monitored temperatures etc. and everything was fine. Random shutdowns occured only in PoE...

Maybe it's something related to post-processing option, after disabling it in graphics menu PoE wasn't crashing even on high graphical settings (1920x1080, fullscreen windowed, vsync on, shadows high, textures high and texture filtering 8x. I disabled screen shake, because it's annoying as hell). I saw some post-processing errors before - I'll provide an example.

Spoiler
My hideout after post-processing related errors seems to qualify for HOTW submission :-)
Turned off post-processing, NO LUCK, same crashing. Sometimes it happens like 10 mins in, sometimes it doesn't happena all, sometimes happens after 10+hrs into the game. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME?? SOMEONE???

EDIT - Just tried:

Closing all programs that were running in the background - COMPLETE PC CRASH
Running Windowed mode - COMPLETE PC CRASH
Running Full screen mode - COMPLETE PC CRASH
Running in low settings - COMPLETE PC CRASH
Turned off Vsync - COMPLETE PC CRASH
Turned off Post-processing - COMPLETE PC CRASH

Please, I REALLY want to play the game, please please help me fix this.
Last edited by rodofrn on May 25, 2016, 4:03:52 AM
Aside from the posted above, TODAY the PSU started makinga coil-ish sound, like something is worng in there. it ONLY happens with POE, I alt-tabbed and it stopped making the sound, alt-tab back into the game, and the sound restarts.
Seems to me that the PSU is failing or getting over-worked.

Good to know what is wrong now though.

The thing about PoE is that it is deceptively power-hungry. It requires high usage on almost all components at the same time. Most other software will only use a couple of components at a time. So it doesn't require max draw from all the components.

Once PoE gets going, you've got all the fans spinning at max speed, drawing power from HDD, CPU, GPU, etc.... it can require more than a lot of PSUs can handle at once (also depending on the rail configuration of the PSU).

The ratings on PSUs are also deceptive as they can only handle a certain draw per rail depending on the model/specs.

Sounds like you might need to try a new PSU.
Hi Drakier, thanks for answering. I do NOT think it is the PSU, I can play EVERY OTHER GAME in ULTRA SETTINGS and have no issues, how can a game with a poorly designed engine need more power than the latest AAA game? Maybe it is the poorly designed engine, but I really like the game anyways, I want to keep playing it and supporting the community. There has to be some other explanation. How about all those weird softwares like .NET Framework, or C++ redistributables and such. could that be it?
My input here: I've been playing POE for the last several months pretty much every day. Yestesday, just for "fun", I formatted my system, stopped using Windows 10, and came back to Windows 7. Since I came back to W7 I had 3 computer crashes (game freezes, I hear the sound repeating itself really quicly, then after 4 seconds the computer reboots itself). I had Windows 10 installed for almost a year and had ZERO poe crash... the SECOND I jump back to Windows 7, I have 3 crashes in less than 24 hours!?! LOL

It's not psu related, its not temps related, the only and I mean only thing I could see is the audio drivers. I'm using an onboard sound card, and at the moment using the default Windows 7 audio drivers. Every other games I play (not much atm, WoW and Civ 5) don't crash or anything like this.

Or maybe its the way memory is handled, from Windows 10 to 7, that is very different, I don't know.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info