[Rant] Why the Resistance System is sloppy and diminishing returns are better

"
dyneol wrote:
Armour and evasion works completely different, somewhat similar to what is being suggested with resists here. It makes it so that you can have 10k armour or 40k armour - both variants have a place in PoE. This is not the case with resists.
I think what you're missing is that that can be a good thing. Resists are, for many/most builds and in most cases, NOT a defensive mechanic. They're a gearing mechanic. They serve to limit two things, the amount of armour/eva/ES a player can get (until very high budget gear, where you just get it all) and the number of uniques a build can run.
There are defensive aspects to resists, mostly the Ele Weakness map mod or various monster curses, which rewards more investment into resists than is otherwise required. My characters are usually not totally capped on EW maps, but if I felt it necessary I could invest into resists and fix that. Alternately I could run a flask, Purity aura, etc.
But the defensive aspect is secondary. The primary function of resists is to prevent everyone from running around with maximum ar/eva/es, so that investment into THOSE mechanics can be allowed to be rewarding. You have to look past the fact that resists were designed differently from the other defenses and ask yourself why that might be the case.
builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1663570/
"
dyneol wrote:
"
goetzjam wrote:
Just like you can have 50 res or 75 res, especially if you just farm dried lake or whatever all day. The fact its mandatory to progress into maps has to do with many many factors, including the scaling options monsters have.

In terms of block being mandatory before, it wasn't but it was too easy to get capped block. They have made it somewhat easy again and I'm not too sure I like it being so easily achieved, considering how strong block is.

Common dried lake ? What kind of argument is that ? Now you say block is stronk .. why do you think is that so ? Because it gets more efficient the more you get ! Same with resists, which leaves GGG no choice but to balance around max resists. It is detrimental to build diversity. Just like block would be if it was any easier to come by.

Life and ES don't get more efficient, but they provide more mitigation in terms of % life\es taken.

There was a build last league that literally did nothing but farm dried lake over and over again, not sure if you heard it of (hint its vaal spark or even the COC build), they leveled gems and sold them as well as hoped to get lucky on the cards.

Considering endgame in PoE is what you make of it, its ok to present the arugement that 50 res is enough to basically do most non map content in the game.

No I said block is strong. Not stronk

Do you think that they balance the whole game around some players having 75% max block, no its an option for people to go. The reason why resistances are mandatory is because just like players, monsters scale far more off their elemental damage, then they really do phys, it wasn't until the buff in 2.0 to phys damage that people started to fear the physical damage monsters do as well.

Then you have things like volitile blood, bearers, ect that add another element on top of it.

Why must all builds get a bleed pot, shouldn't we say that corrupting blood and similar bleed mechanics just force everyone to get at least one anti bleed pot. Enemies cursing you forces you to get a remove curse pot, especially in hardcore.

There are plenty of things that are "mandatory" in poe and resistances being one of them is perfectly fine.

I won't bother arguing with you anymore as you aren't seeing reason and judging quickly on your characters, you barely play the game.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
I think what you're missing is that that can be a good thing. Resists are, for many/most builds and in most cases, NOT a defensive mechanic. They're a gearing mechanic. They serve to limit two things, the amount of armour/eva/ES a player can get (until very high budget gear, where you just get it all) and the number of uniques a build can run.
There are defensive aspects to resists, mostly the Ele Weakness map mod or various monster curses, which rewards more investment into resists than is otherwise required. My characters are usually not totally capped on EW maps, but if I felt it necessary I could invest into resists and fix that. Alternately I could run a flask, Purity aura, etc.
But the defensive aspect is secondary. The primary function of resists is to prevent everyone from running around with maximum ar/eva/es, so that investment into THOSE mechanics can be allowed to be rewarding. You have to look past the fact that resists were designed differently from the other defenses and ask yourself why that might be the case.

Resists are not a defensive mechanic. Right, now I've seen it all :D

I get where you are coming from, though. I think. You are arguing that resists are some kind of gear-stat sink. Perhaps. That does not change the fact that it can be done differently; in a way that makes it less binary and more about choice. The fact that resists where designed that way does not mean it was the best decisions. Lots of non-optimal decisions have been made when the game was conceived and a whole bunch of those flaws have been addressed over the years. PoE is still not perfect, despite what many of you guys seem to believe.
Last edited by dyneol on Apr 29, 2016, 3:43:09 PM
Am I really the only one who runs -max resistance maps? If capped resists were so mandatory, nobody would be able to run that map mod. Yet people do. Either 75 resist all is mandatory or it's not.

Saying both 10k and 40k armour builds have a place - I disagree. Show me an armour build that runs with 10k armour as their primary defense.

Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
mark1030 wrote:
Am I really the only one who runs -max resistance maps? If capped resists were so mandatory, nobody would be able to run that map mod. Yet people do. Either 75 resist all is mandatory or it's not.

Saying both 10k and 40k armour builds have a place - I disagree. Show me an armour build that runs with 10k armour as their primary defense.

Having that -max resistance mod on the map means it took its place for another potentially dangerous map mod. Of course you can do that. People also do tempchains maps, that does not mean that run speed on boots is not important.

10k armour does definitely help. Your primary defense always is your HP(/ES) pool. What I meant by that statement is that if you go armour, you don't have to go all the way. You can do with a moderate amount. 10k armour does have it's place, especially with flasks. 10% resist does not.
Last edited by dyneol on Apr 29, 2016, 4:04:39 PM
"
dyneol wrote:
What I meant by that statement is that if you go armour, you don't have to go all the way. You can do with a moderate amount. 10k armour does have it's place, especially with flasks. 10% resist does not.

Replace 10% resist with 4% max resist and all of a sudden your statement makes sense.

Maxres is what you're looking for. If you want to argue about more mechanics for maxres, that's fine, but overhauling the whole system to essentially attain what we already have while may be slightly beneficial, probably isn't worth the effort.
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
"
MatrixFactor wrote:
overhauling the whole system [...], probably isn't worth the effort.

This part we can agree on, even though I quoted you out of context there (we don't have what is suggested here already; overcapping is anything but diminishing). Realistically, I don't think a fundamental change like that feasible at this stage of the game. But I sure hope discussions like this one will be taken into consideration when PoE 2 hits ;)
Nice opinion lol .
R.I.P 4.B.
To get anywhere in this game you need to cap resistances and stack HP, which severely limits the gearing choices and is why plain boring tri res and HP rares are so expensive. This is pretty bad but won't be changed.

As for resistances, I agree that the disparity in damage taken is way too big, even losing something like 10% can get you easily killed. The curve shouldn't be so steep.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info