exp loss on death is a bad old mechanic

Maybe move the lost XP to the map boss so you can reclaim it if you put some effort into it. Evenly distributed among all map uniques if there's more than one. Maybe limit it to the first death, so there is no reason to zerg without fear of penalty.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I already explained in this thread why a death penalty is appropriate to Path of Exile.
I'm sure you have; multiple people have presented their views.

I don't understand "particularly during maps". Maps are the one place in the game where dying too much means getting locked out of the area. They have more of an incentive to preserve each life, not less.

And "players would save the hard stuff for last" seems like an odd thing to highlight as a problem. Players would consider the area they're in and prioritise what to take on in what order? Forgive me for not fainting at the prospect of people thinking about their play instead of charging into whatever they happen to come across first.

If you think everyone's going to start suiciding themselves into every monster, well, you're entitled to that opinion, but I don't agree with it. I'm not going to play like that, because it's not fun for me, but hey, it doesn't really bother me if other people do decide to play that way. That's their business, it doesn't affect me in the least.
"
Mythabril wrote:
Maybe move the lost XP to the map boss so you can reclaim it if you put some effort into it. Evenly distributed among all map uniques if there's more than one. Maybe limit it to the first death, so there is no reason to zerg without fear of penalty.
The intent of the death penalty is to incite rational fear, not irrational bravery.

No.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
I don't understand "particularly during maps". Maps are the one place in the game where dying too much means getting locked out of the area. They have more of an incentive to preserve each life, not less.

And "players would save the hard stuff for last" seems like an odd thing to highlight as a problem. Players would consider the area they're in and prioritise what to take on in what order? Forgive me for not fainting at the prospect of people thinking about their play instead of charging into whatever they happen to come across first.

If you think everyone's going to start suiciding themselves into every monster, well, you're entitled to that opinion, but I don't agree with it. I'm not going to play like that, because it's not fun for me, but hey, it doesn't really bother me if other people do decide to play that way. That's their business, it doesn't affect me in the least.
Maps cost currency to run. They're not free.

So if lost portals was the only death penalty, you would see players avoid zerging content while there is still easy, deathless content within the map. But then they'll kill it all, except the tricky stuff. And then, once everything else is dead and looted, every remaining portal will be used to zerg.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 29, 2016, 1:10:05 AM
design space is restricted not by death penalty but by fundamental gameplay decisions:

- instant chicken-out mechanics (TP, alt-f4)
- damage > defence (vaal pact/instant leech is THE source of most problems with balance - stuff like RainbowPuke or CoCS builds wouldnt be possible without it. with instant leech your offence is your defence so there is no penalty for playing glass as you are not glass anymore. this undervalues playing balanced builds and dumbs down the game)
- uncontrollable player power creep done BY DESIGN to keep the game 'fresh'. current 'give me now' generation of players couldnt accept not getting stronger and stronger with each patch. and ggg delivers.

these three combined outshine everything else. death penalty is there so bad players at least know that they are bad and that playing stupid is just that. however it is not punishing enough pre-lvl70 (it is hardly noticeable if at all) and gets prohibitive at 96+. not being noticeable early conditions players: they think they are doing things right doing only once per few dried lake run. they get ideas. they feel good about themselves and then when the game strikes back at lvls 80+ they whine that the penalty is bs.

ggg should start delivering the message 'you are doing things wrong' much earlier than by then.
People who write that the game need death pentalty to differentate who is good or bad player must be nuts and never used common logic in their life.

Logic in mmorpg like POE says clearly, there is nothing hard in here (no player skill involved). The game require only good items (thats not a difficulty, thats RNG) and good build (thats not difficult too, even dumbest person can copy-paste one of most OP builds in game).

So death penalty doesnt stop bad players from advancing, they will just use meta builds and go thru it.
Death penalty punish the core of this game, so experimentation, freedom and challange.

Why?
You wont want to experiment with builds because it might be waste of time on the end, since it might be to weak to survive even thu it will be alot of fun to play. Mostly only no-lifers have so much time to possiblity waste on games to try and experiment something risky.

There is no freedom in build diversity, because again it punish you if your build wont be powerfull. Most builds are probably revolving now around meta skills with are overpowered comparing to the rest.

There is no challange left in game, because people without meta builds wont try to challange themself, there wont be no point. Drop rates on hard mobs are not so much different from weaker version of them, maybe only exp is different. People wont challange themself to do harder content or even something that is risky because there is more to loose than to gain from it (overally fail od design).
"
archonmagus wrote:
I know it used to be common place in games like this and I was used to it back then. But newer games have gotten me used to how nice it is to not be punished on death. Hardcore mode is made for people who want to get pissed off and be punished by a death.

The extreme level of customization in this game makes for an amazing experience but if you dont go for a perfect build and trade for the best gear for the build then you will struggle. I tried to go with mostly self found gear and trying to get to level 90 became extremely painful. I was having much fun with this game up until that point but having lost several levels worth of xp because I find it more fun finding my gear than buying it seems like I am just being punished for trying to make the game last longer for myself. These games are all about finding loot and if you buy all your loot then theres nothing to look forward to.

It also doesnt help that so many of your challenges are so heavily based on RNG that it forces people to use a chat channel to try and share the rare finds they get as well as giving away free map credits in case you dont have the build or gear to be able to clear the stuff yourself.

It was painful and I found myself contemplating self harm trying to get this awesome perandus portal and now that I have it I am just done. If I ever play another league it would be maybe for the first 2 rewards but struggling for the 3rd requires a lot of time and effort and begging in chat. as an anti social person being forced into bad and laggy social situations isnt great.

though i will say there is a ton of helpful people in this game even though i did run into a few dbags

this game still has a lot of potential but theres work that needs to be done on some areas which probably wont ever get done as you are more focused on coming up with new season content. I went with a cyclone build this season and it was amazing fun at the start in wide open places. as the game got harder and areas got cramped i found myself getting stuck on objects and corners and also noticed how terribly designed the spell is. You spin until you get to the area you clicked at, no way i could find to break it and direction wont change until you get to that location. I guess im spoiled by a far better coded game (diablo3) where the actions i perform with my mouse feel much more responsive and my character doesnt get stuck on nonsense.

There is also an issue of hit boxes being too small on monsters. While in diablo3 the hit boxes are way too big which makes the game feel like it was made for little kids who dont know how to click over the mob they want to attack in this game there are issues with some mobs where its just a pain to click them. I notice a lot of people just go with mass aoe which is a great way to avoid this issue since you dont really need precision if your flooding the whole screen with spells. One of the most noticeable hit box issues I found was with the vulture mobs you added with act 4 the issue with them seems to be when they are transitioning from flying to actually landing on the ground.

tl;dr
I refuse to trade, even tho the game is about trading, and because of that I want changes.
I also don't care about people who actually trade, and I don't care if the experience will become trivial to them.

I have much respect to self-found people, who play it as is, and don't expect someone to make it easier for them. I have far less respect for people who constantly want changes to cater to their playstyle, completely ignoring the fact, that these changes will ruin it for everyone else.

Death penalty stays, sry mate.

Anyone who claims that builds and items wins PoE - you are wrong. That knowledge sure makes it easier, but if you don't know WHAT you are fighting with, you'll die regardless. And death penalty is there to stop you.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Apr 29, 2016, 1:18:23 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

So if lost portals was the only death penalty, you would see players avoid zerging content while there is still easy, deathless content within the map. But then they'll kill it all, except the tricky stuff. And then, once everything else is dead and looted, every remaining portal will be used to zerg.
And thereby risking the loss of that currency and spending a bunch more time, when if they'd built their character better, they'd be able to do it in one clean run, far less risk, and be onto the next map while the "bad" player is still throwing themselves at things over and over again. As I said earlier, bad play is inherently inefficient. It is its own punishment.

And it's no sacred design goal of mine that maps (of the appropriate level) be largely made up of pointlessly easy, "deathless content".
"
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

And thereby risking the loss of that currency and spending a bunch more time, when if they'd built their character better, they'd be able to do it in one clean run, far less risk, and be onto the next map while the "bad" player is still throwing themselves at things over and over again. As I said earlier, bad play is inherently inefficient. It is its own punishment.

And it's no sacred design goal of mine that maps (of the appropriate level) be largely made up of pointlessly easy, "deathless content".

Read again - people skip hard stuff, clear everything else, and then leave.

Without death penalty - skip hard stuff, clear everything else, zerg what you skipped, because why not? You have portals left, and you don't lose anything for trying. And because there is nothing else left on that map, you might as well just zerg it.

Skipping some extremely hard (or unsuitable for you build) fights is a skill - knowing how to pick fights.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Read again - I won't suddenly start playing like the mindless run-forward AI and I don't care if other people do.

Because you're absolutely right, learning to pick your fights is a skill, and it's one I enjoy exercising. But I'm not the fun police; if other people like roleplaying as a blunt object, that's not really any of my business.
Last edited by GusTheCrocodile on Apr 29, 2016, 1:32:17 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info