exp loss on death is a bad old mechanic

EXP loss on death is only an issue for people who die on a consistent basis.
"
Cyzax wrote:
"
fusurugi wrote:
wasting over 2200 fusings to 6L

In other words, you chose to gamble, even though the non-RNG option is already there!
You lost, and now complain over your own choice!

YOU, only YOU, and not RNG, caused you to use those fusings :-)

when i did that it wasnt. eff off.
"
archonmagus wrote:
I know it used to be common place in games like this and I was used to it back then. But newer games have gotten me used to how nice it is to not be punished on death. Hardcore mode is made for people who want to get pissed off and be punished by a death.

You're going to get a lot of flak for this :P

I actually agree, though. I'd like to see the xp death penalty removed (even if it means that the xp requirement for each level increases slightly) and "punishment" reserved for hardcore. I would have kept playing this league if I felt like it was worth my time to level grind (I enjoy mapping far more than leveling characters to the mapping phase), but with the way map drops work and the likelihood of me dying to some lag spike or losing hours of my life to a freak event that's beyond my control in an online only game ruled by rng, I opted out and played other games. And this is coming from an experienced player with thousands of hours logged who doesn't find the game particularly challenging, at least once you learn the game mechanics (although that in itself can be a daunting task).
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
"
Grumlum wrote:
Let´s just face it, PoE is not an easy game to master, and that´s a good thing.

As for Cyclone movement : once you realize how it works you, just dont click far away, but instead keep the cursor close to your character and are in full control. It´s just different than it is in D3, so you handle it differently. Problem fixed.

Let's be honest. There is nothing to master. Worst case scenario you use a gg meta build. The most difficult part is to find something that's "different". Besides that it's grinding the same content over and over again.

XP penalty for me is fine. At least you don't delevel. F you Everquest.
"
Raudram wrote:
Penalty is fine if untelegraphed oneshots go away.

yeah i agree . Common logic really . Unfortunately ggg has ( still ) not balanced the game properly yet .
"
__Z__ wrote:
"
Raudram wrote:
Penalty is fine if untelegraphed oneshots go away.

its basically never untelegraphed : you create glass canon and put mods on map like crit+monster damge less player max res etc... you kill everything but you'll eat your perfect crit from affar eventually...

horrible mods + low defence = you'll be one-shotted eventually one day.

I'll quit PoE imediately if they remove the xp penalty. It's the only incentive to be a better player and to have a better character customization.

Bullshit, I'm sick of people spouting this garbage that couldn't be further away from truth.

Yesterday I got hit for over 4k hp with a normal melee swing from an unmodded low tier map (museum) boss, doing Zana's daily. Nice way to lose EXP, huh? So I decide to look it up.

http://poedb.tw/us/mon.php?n=The+Fallen+Queen

Apparently she does chaos damage instead of physical and there's no real way to mitigate it, also I actually do have some minor chaos resistances unlike most builds.

Then there's a plethora of other garbage that can easily oneshot anything but the tankiest possible builds, and then even those can die.

But it's alright, picking up all available HP nodes, getting as much HP as possible from gear, stacking other defensive mechanics like armor/evasion/dodge and running multiple survivability skills, both active and automatic is considered glass cannon here.
Last edited by Raudram on Apr 27, 2016, 11:12:57 PM
yup exp loss on death sucks big time for a softcore player and ill never understand ggg's reasoning for having exp loss on death vs hardcore deaths going to a permanent softcore league rather than the character going to void league, then again I never understand most of ggg's ways to create longevity and nerfs to drop rates because of economy and such..
The XP penalty servs as a power level indicator for your build. At some point you start losing more XP than you can feasible gain and top out on a level. That is the xx/100 rating for your character build.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
Yeah, XP loss is archaic. If playing the game for longer is a punishment, what does that say about the game?

Remove XP loss and you let more people zerg through bosses. But so what? Zerging your way through a boss is already less efficient than just building your character better and killing it quickly. There's no point in time penalties for poor play, because poor play comes with its own such penalties by its very nature.
@GusTheCrocodile

yeh it won't make much difference because people already go meta to zerg bosses and make the content trivial anyway like coc discharge or chaos builds to avoid reflect.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info