Path of Exile 2, yay or nay?

So POE has been around for over 3 years now. Diablo 3 for about 4 years now.

Rumor has it Diablo 4 may be on the cards and D3 development will be coming to a close.

Contrary to Blizzard, it seems that GGG want to keep pushing out content for POE for an indefinite amount of time.

Act 4 and the Labyrinth weren't received too well by the community and often we see people complaining about the tedium of leveling new characters. We already know performance is a huge issue and we know netcode is a huge issue (at least for those who do not have the option to use lockstep). The graphics engine is dated and there are no physics.
Perhaps POE needs an overhaul or perhaps it is time to start looking at a new adventure, new characters and a new story.

GGG have come a long way and in my personal opinion they could create something even greater having learned from their past mistakes.

What do you guys think about this, are you happy with new content being added to the current game or would you like to see POE2?

Also lets not bring finances into this, lets pretend for now that GGG have the financial means to do it.

Last bumped on Sep 22, 2017, 9:35:51 PM
D4 will never happen , won't comment on PoE here since I feel like I'll get a better discussion on Reddit so yeah .
R.I.P 4.B.
"
tryhardgg wrote:
D4 will never happen , won't comment on PoE here since I feel like I'll get a better discussion on Reddit so yeah .
better on reddit? as soon somebody brings an arugment that diverge with GGG's vision, this dude gets downvoted to oblivion, so all the replies that will left visible are in favor of GGG.

seriously, you need to be crazy not to be in favor of POE2. A completely new engine and well done coding would be greater than 5 expansions as new players grabbing and old rehooking
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
I'd prefer them to give PoE the "source 2" treatment, if its possible. And financially feasible, upgrade the whole engine to a newer version while keeping the game as it is. I doubt GGG have the resources to do something like that though, but, there will definitely be a time when people won't play PoE because of its outdated engine (although a lot of people still play WoW so what do I know really).

"
CoAx wrote:

Also lets not bring finances into this, lets pretend for now that GGG have the financial means to do it.

That makes the whole discussion pointless. You can argue for POE2 until you're blue in the face but without the resources to develop it won't happen.
Pushing up version numbers is just a marketing sham so they can take the full price again for the same game.

There is absolutely no reason for GGG to throw away all work done to PoE just to start from scratch again. In fact it would be quite the insult to everyone who has given GGG money for the development.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
no, because:
- development of poe would stall

- a new poe wouldn't neccessarily be better

- it takes too long (3-4 years) for the programming power ggg has at hand to build another game which is comparable to poe

- making yourself dependent on another companie's engine still has the same disadvantages as it had 10 years ago. that they are available for cheap doesn't change that really, it'a making it worse because of licensing issues. the less you pay the less rights you have (see win10 upgrade which also comes "for free")
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
You will always see people complain. You can't use that as your gauge as to the success or failure of something.
long_rant_kinda_offtopic
I find PoE becoming gradually better and better over time, with a few bumps along the way *cough* Awakening *cough*. The graphics are fine, it's just that most models are intentionally designed to look bad to make you want to buy MTX - which is understandable and fine by me. Also, as far as I know, there will be an act 5 at some time and when it comes out we'll get two difficulties instead of three, so the repetition will be alleviated to some extent.

PoE is designed to follow Magic: the Gathering's system where you get new content and shifts in the metagame about three times per year, so speaking about PoE 2 seems a bit strange to me. PoE is the most steadily and constantly evolving game I know. You could argue that PoE upgrades to a new version every year.

If you have a look back at the PoE from 2 years ago, well, you would be shocked how much the game has progressed. A ton of new uniques and skills, the passive tree has been through several major reworks and more minor ones, a ton of MTX for the few who care, new maps, a whole new act, Atziri, the lab, the Ascendancy classes, item filters, currency tab, option to search in tabs (yes, that hasn't always been possible), option to buy most gems from vendors and to even have them pre-leveled, the permanent quality change (i.e. easier linking), the masters, trade through stash tabs, poe.trade has also evolved (yes, not GGG's work but still part of the game), trade through premium tabs, etc. etc.

Yes, most of these changes have been severely criticsed by some, but they all add up and bring in small increments of improved quality of life, complexity and interesting stuff to do in the game and the end result is something substantially new and better than what the game once was.

Before I get called a white knight, I've criticised various aspects of the game, sometimes way too harshly, all that time. I'm pretty sure my threads in feedback are 90% criticism. But that's because I love the game and I want to see it even better. Also because I am a bit rude. Regardless, when one takes a step back and has a look at the forest instead of the trees, it looks like it's in great shape and ever growing.

About the engine - I don't know if it's realistically possible in the near future, but at some point they might have to do it. Lets hope they'll have the resources.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Apr 18, 2016, 8:32:14 AM
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
"
tryhardgg wrote:
better on reddit? as soon somebody brings an arugment that diverge with GGG's vision, this dude gets downvoted to oblivion, so all the replies that will left visible are in favor of GGG.

seriously, you need to be crazy not to be in favor of POE2. A completely new engine and well done coding would be greater than 5 expansions as new players grabbing and old rehooking

Honestly, new engine and coding is all PoE needs. Would it mean it is PoE 2? Not really. I'd rather have all the content we have now, on new engine. We can just be adding new content to what we have already, and this is what GGG is doing.

Ah, new engine... with stuff that works... oh my.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info