Path of Exile 2, yay or nay?

I would like to see GGG do some radical changes to the game... probably wont happen without something like "2" or at least some other PR stunt.

They would have to redo much of the older content, and integrate the existing features from their expansions in a more manageable way. It's getting hard to see the "game" for all the glitter they've added on top of it.

I think I would prefer they work on a Divinity original sin-like skill interaction system in poe1 than a poe2 if we had a to choose for now.

But yea POE2+more labyrinth and less AOE would be nice.
Forum pvp
"
lolozori wrote:

I think I would prefer they work on a Divinity original sin-like skill interaction system in poe1 than a poe2 if we had a to choose for now.

But yea POE2+more labyrinth and less AOE would be nice.

More lab? Running through pointlessly long areas with a bad layout and going through some easy traps designed mostly to waste your time or kill you if you're really careless and don't have the proper build? Having to repeat that shit ad nauseum with each new character and to grind it for enchants?

I hope not.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
Bars wrote:
I find PoE becoming gradually better and better over time, with a few bumps along the way *cough* Awakening *cough*. The graphics are fine, it's just that most models are intentionally designed to look bad to make you want to buy MTX - which is understandable and fine by me. Also, as far as I know, there will be an act 5 at some time and when it comes out we'll get two difficulties instead of three, so the repetition will be alleviated to some extent.

PoE is designed to follow Magic: the Gathering's system where you get new content and shifts in the metagame about three times per year, so speaking about PoE 2 seems a bit strange to me. PoE is the most steadily and constantly evolving game I know.

my opinion too.

except that ggg starts to show signs of a company having outgrown it's internal procedures for quality management and internal organisation to work reliably. to be plain: there are too many bugs in released features.

from my experience, most pragmatic solutions don't scale with the ever growing software repo and increased internal communication.

devs often joke about not yet having developed a "hive mind" but hey, that's exactly what is needed to a certain extent for employees to feel "involved in the process of making a amazing game" and there is software which helps in this matter.

chris having to manually extract patch notes from svn commits was a warning sign, i really hope the code isn't in the same state as the patch notes obviously are.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:
no, because:
- development of poe would stall

- a new poe wouldn't neccessarily be better

- it takes too long (3-4 years) for the programming power ggg has at hand to build another game which is comparable to poe

- making yourself dependent on another companie's engine still has the same disadvantages as it had 10 years ago. that they are available for cheap doesn't change that really, it'a making it worse because of licensing issues. the less you pay the less rights you have (see win10 upgrade which also comes "for free")

Agreed. The fact that GGG is so small (< 100 peole) means that we can all theory craft about PoE2 with a commercial highly polished graphics game engine and blah, blah, blah, this or that feature that you deem great. But in the real world of what we have GGG has to live or die with what has been coded up to now and can't just whip up another team of 50+ devs to create a new, better, smoother, etc. version of PoE. Never going to happen.

So as Sexcalibure stated we'd be crazy not to want PoE2 but we will be living with PoE1 and it's less than perfect engine (I'm being very kind here) forever.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Poe 2, yes, but only if it's a MMORPG.

It's the only way.
There's nothing more to be done here but a few minor things.
Going into a massive MMO sandbox with all the themes and setting of Wraeclast is the only option.

Classic dungeon instances (as in wow) could be mini map zones.
Slow the combat down a little bit, add rag dolls, what more could you wish for?
I'd even pay a monthly sub fee for that shit. I have spoken. Just do it!

PS. Rhoa mounts.
"Im smartest. Your stoped. Dael wiht it."
if PoE2 would happen it would need:

-"wasd" controls, to hell with the traditional old school point and click controls

-physics and destructible environments

-AAA graphics

-old school mechanics being replaced by more modern ones, like removing inventory tetris

even if GGG had the money, I don't think they could do that or even want to do that

adding new content to the game, fine by me, I'm actually interested in playing a game that as years of content added to it

I'll go for nay because PoE2 won't happen realistically, if it does, it will probably feel like PoE V.1.3 ...

-old school crap everywhere
-probably no physics
-better graphics but not enough budget for AAA
-technical issues from using an in-house game engine
"
CoAx wrote:
So POE has been around for over 3 years now. Diablo 3 for about 4 years now.

Rumor has it Diablo 4 may be on the cards and D3 development will be coming to a close.

Contrary to Blizzard, it seems that GGG want to keep pushing out content for POE for an indefinite amount of time.

Act 4 and the Labyrinth weren't received too well by the community and often we see people complaining about the tedium of leveling new characters. We already know performance is a huge issue and we know netcode is a huge issue (at least for those who do not have the option to use lockstep). The graphics engine is dated and there are no physics.
Perhaps POE needs an overhaul or perhaps it is time to start looking at a new adventure, new characters and a new story.

GGG have come a long way and in my personal opinion they could create something even greater having learned from their past mistakes.

What do you guys think about this, are you happy with new content being added to the current game or would you like to see POE2?

Also lets not bring finances into this, lets pretend for now that GGG have the financial means to do it.

I'd be interested to see the source of the Diablo 4 rumors.
I'm pretty darn sure they are out of ideas on that front. Lord knows they blew it with 3 and lost most of their fan base.

I don't want a PoE 2. I'd rather them create something new or just continue adding things here. I'm already amazed the the longevity and success of this game. Nothing wrong with keeping a good thing going.
imho, the most urgent change the game needs is some scaling down of effects and maybe particle counts dependent on party size.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
They changed the engine dota 2 ran on, and still called it dota 2. I don't see why this wouldn't be possible for PoE when the time comes (without changing the beloved mechanics). I'm also pretty sure GGG has far surpassed the "small indie company" state, I'm quite sure I read Chris saying something like 300 employees somewhere recently.

Its not necessary atm, but in a year or 2 it should definitely be on the table to keep the game 5 years or so behind the graphics engine meta xD

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info