[2.6] Chieftain dual Siege Ballista. All map mods. 8k life. Beginner and budget tips.

Your left ring and gloves and that dex > int jewel first. Try get new ring witch some int or go for points in tree for it ( near upper life-chaos res wheel )

get 16% attack speed gloves like:

God-like quality ring looks like:

but you need int not str on it.
Last edited by Elua on Nov 14, 2016, 2:47:47 AM
BIG UPDATE: after some testing ( I made 90 lvl char just for it in standard league )
this is no longer Ranger - Deadeye build!!! Now is much, much better as Marauder - Chieftain who offers life leech for you and totems based on fire dmg ( plenty of them in this build ). Also your totems gain 100% fire immune and taunt. Making maps like t15 Core, Abyss, Vulcano, Atziri is now very easy.

For latest gear, passive tree, gems, links, etc plz check my char "Elua_avatar" standard league:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Elua/characters

Flask setup will be changed, because life flasks are now ( praise the mighty leech ) almost not necessary. Work and testing in progress :)
So that build kinda inspired me to try something similar. Currently it is just an idea but I will pitch it here:

Basically take a Signal Fire:

Add Avatar of Fire and go full ham Fire Ballista. Naturally I end up with a very different tree: http://poeurl.com/Ry3
Links would be: Ballista - WED - Fire Pen - Faster Attacks - PPAD - Ele Focus/Added Fire

Couple of Notes:
- If you use Lioneye's Glare you can drop RT and use EO (probably better than any other option until very high dps rare bows)
- While I pick up Iron Grip I do not build for it specifically, just treat it as a 60% increased Damage node.
- Obviously I drop Hatred; probably switch to Enfeeble+TC Blasphemy for Defense (or I will be lazy and go BM; which would enable all map mods!)
- Lioneye's Fall shenanigans?
- Also the new neck: Xoph'somethins Heart; Though we will not save many points I think, since we need to pick up Ancestral Bond anyway but its other stats are already very nice.

Overall tree is kinda flexible since a lot of node work for it. Also the longer I think about it, the more I like it.
Last edited by tzuiop on Nov 25, 2016, 8:42:57 PM
I was testing Avatar of Fire in passive tree. It's amazing for any refelct moded map, because this makes totems fully immune to reflect, but at cost slight dps loss. It's like 42k --> 36k per totem. Leech is not much different, I don't feel Avatar of Fire superior.
Overall I skip it because I after full Atlas unlock I rarely do reflect maps.
Also doing only fire dmg on not reflect maps is IMO not optimal for ballistas clearing speed.
In Breach league it's possible to do nice trick if you have this item:

Simply amulet swap for reflect maps and go :) Totems 100% immune to fire and doing only fire dmg from item, not passive tree that's beautiful.

And about your version of passive tree it can be interesting. I wonder how good Siege ballistas can scale from typical elemental build. But you will be missing one super important thing to feel ballistas good: attack speed. Without tons of attack speed overall clearing speed and leech from ballistas is bad, even if you got high dps / top items. Also you will loose 50% extra projectiles speed from passive tree which is huge thing for clearing speed and safety ( almost instant leech ).
Maybe if I get new fire conversion bow I will test it on other char. But right now for league start I will use my, because it's already proven and works well. Also because it's very cheap to start new league from scratch.
It's so easy to slap 2 points in passive tree for Avatar of Fire, do all red map unlocks and turn it off after :)

But anyway thx for new ideas, I hope you will post more how do you feel about your char during lvling and endgame, I'm sure ballistas can be play in many different ways.
Last edited by Elua on Nov 26, 2016, 1:39:02 AM
Yeah, the lack of attack speed is one of my greatest concern. Also the tree I posted above leaves me extremely starved on dexterity. I probably continue making trees until I find something I feel confident about. Current version is something like that: http://poeurl.com/Rz4 Which gains a boat load of attack speed and dex while also grabbing Acro and going BM. Sacrifices Dual curse for that though.

Having a build, that can just alc&go maps is something I really like. So I am willing to sacrifice a bit for that.

About the fire conversion bow: Unless it has a huge range on that %IPD roll, I do not think it can compete with a Lioneye's Glare. The version currently posted on the breach page only has about 260dps. But it remains to be seen what they do with it as it lost 20% physical damage as fire from before the Breachlord upgrade.

Anyway it is good to ramble about builds. Gives me ideas. Also I will keep up with how leveling goes and how it feels once I get into maps and end game gear. But I need to throw myself at guardians and Shaper first for my last two Challenges.
Hey

How does it do against the new bosses etc? Shaper viable?
Considering starting it in Breach.
But with limited time to play, Id like a build that can do most of the game successfully.
Where do you feel your build is strong/lacking?

Thanks for sharing your build.
I play Essence league very little, so I never do Sharper / guardians because lack of those maps. This build excels in super fast and comfortable clearing speed and very low starting cost at new league start. You can easily do t10 maps with trash gear and only 4 links.
You will not fear reflect, and it's very easy dodge attacks with this build mobility.
Single target dps is lacking, but not issue at t15 maps at all. Leech is insanely strong, way better then other totem builds. Taunting totems are pleasure to have, it makes boss fights easy and gives you tons of time to dodge ground - targeted boss attacks. At 90 lvl this build feels almost lazy :)

Unique aspect playing ballista totems : if you "pre-cast" one ballist before you see mob pack, gigantic range of totem and projectiles speed makes that pack be killed almost instantly by totem placed in your back, often from off-screen totem. That make totem activation time no issue at all and feel just amazing if you compare it to slow, boring and range lacking flame or warchief totem game-style.
Last edited by Elua on Nov 26, 2016, 5:12:46 AM
Hi!
I want say thank's for this build.Especially for itemisation guide.Items in PoE is very confusing for new player.
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/LazerRazer1337/characters
Here's my character.
What item's i should upgrade?Any recommendations?

Also, i'm thinking about new league.

What if maradeur with new Fire bow?
How do you make the totem survive to Bosses with high aoe and adds? :(
In this situation my totems are obliterated before they can make a single shot.
Last edited by vempire_ghost on Nov 26, 2016, 8:23:00 AM
"
Hi!
I want say thank's for this build.Especially for itemisation guide.Items in PoE is very confusing for new player.
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/LazerRazer1337/characters
Here's my character.
What item's i should upgrade?Any recommendations?

Also, i'm thinking about new league.

What if maradeur with new Fire bow?

It's hard to recommend in your situation it's almost all gear needed to be better. Try get Kintsugi, better jewels and rings first, but you need play more and replece all gear for better items. Bow, helmet and quiver are ok, rest needs to be replaced. Try buy 70+ hp itmes for each slot. Balancing resistances can be very hard if you use Rat Nest and Kintsugi, so maybe get rare helmet for some intermediate period.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info