Performance Improvements

Has any thoughts been made about us GNU/Linux users? The performance in the current client since the Ascendancy update is terrible. See the official Linux thread for more info (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/8980).

Sad to hear that you've decided to move to DirectX 11 instead of opting for the more platform independent choice openGL/Vulkan :(
"
derekwade16 wrote:
This is an awesome post explaining how loading and game servers work. Very rare to see devs giving this kind of insight. Kudos.

oh come on. it's not that amazing
Aww, more apologies and sissy explanations. Do. Or do not. There is no try.
I've played PoE in beta with much worse PC. There was problems. I could live with that "mkay beta, you know..." Now I have ten times better PC and your product still behaves like shit. It runs like shit when I play solo with no laggy build. I don't even want to imagine how this potato-game performs in full man party. I can bet in 5 years you will post another touching dev manifesto to justify your poor performance for whatever reason. F2P is no excuse. Many F2P projects run better than AAA+ games.
Good luck.
Bullshit makes the flowers grow
One the one hand I really like these insights.
But on the other it looks grim for PoE in general.
Recently identified combat related issues? These have been present since forever.
8 GB of assets. half of them preloaded and still causing crashes? This is not just a small overhead and memory allocation problem. I had to trim down some ugly stuff in my life, but I haven't seen something sa bad as this for many years. Especially considering what these assets actually achieve. I still hope you can step up your game, or at least work on PoE 2.
upload poe to github.
let the community fix stuff.
"
VarthDaver wrote:
Any chance you can let the client actually load the whole amount into RAM? Those of us with 16/32/64GB ram would likely trade initial load for removing lag.

Otherwise, glad to have the update!

You could set up a RAMdisk (google it) and store path of exile in it.
This could greatly reduce loading times, as instead of getting Data from the HDD or SSD into the RAM, you just copy it from one place in the RAM to another.
"
sklipnoty wrote:
Upgrade to 10 was free.

It is free only for "qualified" Windows 7 and 8.1 systems. And after a certain date Windows 10 will no longer be free. And future versions of Windows (eg: Windows 10.1) will NOT be free.

"
sklipnoty wrote:
W7 is not more stable than W10. Quantify this plz.

Windows 7 is more stable than Windows 10. But that's not because of the kernel, it's due to drivers. Drivers for Windows 10 are still VERY immature when compared to Windows 7.

"
sklipnoty wrote:
Obv. games need to implement certain Dx12 features in order for them to be useful, yes.

Anyway my point was simple, keep current business at Dx9 and prepare for Dx12 and be future proof.

"
sklipnoty wrote:
Euhm ? You guys for real? Dx12 is out ! I mean honestly you are still talking about XP? Fast-forward 5 years plz.

Agreed that current business is DX9, and will remain that way for some time. But asking for DX11 or DX12 from an indie developer?

DX10 is fluff, DX11 is a worthwhile upgrade for performance, and DX12 is Windows 10 only (and XBox One). DX11 is good to target, but not everyone has a DX11 capable video card. And DX112 is worthless to the majority of gamers out there. Windows 7 has more than 50% market share, while Windows 10 is a meager 14%. Source: https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

"
sklipnoty wrote:
Basically directx11 was available in 2009, so the big question is, why wasn't PoE using it since the start?

It's not industry standard. Just because the big name developers adopt the latest and greatest bleeding edge libraries and technologies doesn't mean indie developers have to do the same. If the market is there and the developer can make a successful product, it doesn't really matter if the latest DirectX version was used or not.

Now if you want to blame someone like Blizzard, EA, or WB for not using DX11 in their big name titles, then I'd support you. But blaming GGG for not having it in PoE? No sympathy from me for that crusade of yours.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
"

64-bit DirectX 11 Client
In the future we plan to release an alternate Path of Exile client that is compiled as a 64-bit executable and will use DirectX 11 rather than DirectX9. This client will require Windows Vista or above (and a 64-bit CPU). The old client will still work for Windows XP or 32 bit machines, but won't have the performance improvements that come with DirectX 11. This release is planned for 2017.

NERD JOY
Message me in game @SleepyHarvester
"
DagonxXx wrote:
You could set up a RAMdisk (google it) and store path of exile in it.
This could greatly reduce loading times, as instead of getting Data from the HDD or SSD into the RAM, you just copy it from one place in the RAM to another.

The problem with the RAM drive is two-fold:

1.) You have to copy back the changes you made to the client whenever you upgrade it, or those changes are lost. Many updates out there for PoE, and when the launcher updates the client, it will be updating it in the RAM drive. So you're expecting a lot from the average PoE player to do their own scripts or maintain other people's scripts to go back and forth before and after a PoE client launch.

2.) RAM is, well, volatile. If the client crashes and takes the system with it because of a video driver error that doesn't recover to the desktop properly, or if a failing GPU or other hardware crashes the OS, your temporary RAM disk is gone.

But in your defense, DragonxXx...

SSDs are pretty quick. 500MB/s for most of the latest gen SSDs on SATA3 and ns access times, or even faster in a RAID. It gets on the same scale to the 15000 through 3000MB/s throughput speed of RAM, making it only 3 to 6 times slower than memory compared to HDDs which are exponentially slower in both bandwidth and access speed in the 5-10ms range.

So asking for PoE to use more RAM to speed up loading times is sort of silly. If you have 16, 32, or 64GB of RAM in your system you should have spent money on at least one SSD as well.

There's a reason why SSD manufacturers recommend limiting your paging/swap file, because SSDs are so fast any ways.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Thanks for the update GGG,
though I do wish the 64 bit version would come sooner than 2017.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info