Performance Improvements

Good i literally can't even use lightning strike in my base without it stalling out. This is one of the funest games I've played over the last 2 years but damn freezing and not being able to group play makes this game lame as hell.
Hello GGG :)

GGG, giving a brief look over your post it is clear whats needs to be done to solve the issues - more master servers, more gateways.

Advantages
- Less load on the servers and the gateways (since they are more and you have more “horsepower”). Hopeful you are using some kind of clustering in Active-Active configuration .
- Diversifications – more network operators, so if one of the servers has issues, people can switch to the other gateway – or even something automatic like NLB.

Drawbacks:
- Invest more in IT management
- Expensive
- Harder and more time consuming deploys

It is quite simple and doable :D
Very interesting to learn how some of this works. Glad to hear about the improvements. Thanks GGG and great game!

Wolf
I'll take "Swords" for two hundred Alex.
-Faux Sean Connery
Great news, I think main priority should be async assets loading and DX11, game really needs this ASAP.
For sound issues I recommend to add OpenAL Soft to game client distribution instead of normal OpenAL wrapper to DirectSound - http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html I use it already system wide as soft_oal.dll. FMOD is a solution but I think it will introduce some new problems as well.

Some users want to load all assets to memory - IMHO this is not correct solution, many other games loads assets dynamically, like streaming textures in UE3/4 engine and they not cause freezes !
Thanks for the info ! its good to know and see that u know exacly what we are fighting againts... stupid killer strongboxes xD

keep the good work :D
Thanks for the introduction, now I know better about how the program works. In my experience, I only encountered the fatal crash which needs to reinstall the game once. Other problems, I guess, may mostly attribute to the internet connection----- > <
"
VarthDaver wrote:
Any chance you can let the client actually load the whole amount into RAM? Those of us with 16/32/64GB ram would likely trade initial load for removing lag.

Otherwise, glad to have the update!

That... sounds awesome, but as stated in the post, Windows won't let a single program allocate more then 4gb of RAM (even on the 64bit version of windows). So.... unfortunately, that is not something that GGG can do because of a restriction in Windows.
"
Etheoff wrote:
"
VarthDaver wrote:
Any chance you can let the client actually load the whole amount into RAM? Those of us with 16/32/64GB ram would likely trade initial load for removing lag.

Otherwise, glad to have the update!

That... sounds awesome, but as stated in the post, Windows won't let a single program allocate more then 4gb of RAM (even on the 64bit version of windows). So.... unfortunately, that is not something that GGG can do because of a restriction in Windows.

That's true for 32-bit executables. For a 64-bit process, the RAM limit is 8TB.

msdn article about it
(2nd row, 2nd column)
Hope these improvements come soon and really help. The game is almost unplayable for many players right now. And it's hurting the player base of the game.
"What's do you what?" - Kira of the Maraketh
First Kudos for addressing these problems but more for being forthcoming in what is going on. One of the things I have always liked (even if i have an individual problem with a decision) is that you guys actually tell the player base what the heck is going on and give us a chance to have feedback etc.

Second would it be beneficial to make it possible to use a usb memory stick as a pesudo ram drive to help people with poor client performance from slow hard drives? Similar to the quick load that I belive XP or might have been win 7 had with using the usb memory stick as a virtual paging area? I currently run my OS off of a m.64 solid state drive and have a separate ssd just for poe to live on and my load times are fantastic. I don't experience any real issues with any of the loading unless I am partied and then I load and start and then everything grinds to a halt when a new person pops in, I assume this is my client waiting for them to be in sync with me.

Edge

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info