GhazzyTV - Essence Drain & Contagion (or Bane/Soulrend) Trickster [SC/HC/Uber Elder/Shaper]

"
bipsylalapo wrote:
I've got a question regarding MoM : why do we have to scale the mana to a certain percentage of the HP/eHP? My understanding is that if someone hits me for 6k damage, 2k will be drained from my mana pool and 4k from my ES/HP, so it doesn't really matter what my max ES/HP is, I'll still take 4k+whatever hasn't been absorbed by my mana pool as I sure don't have 2k.

Moreover, I'm guessing it doesn't count reserved mana? Seeing as I have 240 mana (and calculator says I should have 500ish for me to properly use MoM), I feel like 500 mana is such a little buffer, on top of probably giving me trouble using spells seeing as I'd probably be often drained to zero.

I know I'm wrong but I'd really like to understand the reasoning.

An additional question is : does % increased damage and % increased chaos damage apply to non-ailment chaos DOT?

If you dont invest heavily into mana/mana regeneration than MoM is not worth it. 500 mana is nothing. Plus most players using MoM are not reserving mana or reserving little. Most ED players are using MoM because of synergy with The Devouring Diadem. The Devouring Diadem gives free Eldritch Battery node that let's us use ES for skills cost usage and makes ES protect mana. Since we got much more ES than mana after we reserve mana for Aura skills it makes much more sense using MoM along with Eldritch Battery.

If you are using rare helmet than it is not worth using MoM for this build if you dont want to invest skill points into EB node.

% increased damage and % increased chaos damage do apply to non-ailment chaos DOT.
Last edited by Sidad on Jul 7, 2019, 2:30:00 PM
"
Sidad wrote:
"
Cnfus wrote:
Hi!
I have reached the level where I can think about the gear.
Been watching poe.ninja and this thread for example,the most thing that concerns me is the body armour and helmet.

Carcass Jack/Shavronne/Perfect Form, is there BIS item or is it just what you wanna use?

Ppl using many different helmet also. Best seems to be very high rare Es helmet. Can't really afford it,so what could be second best helmet?
If this is already in guide,sry for asking,but theres quite many pages and could't find explanation. :/

Thanks!

When it comes to chest piece it all depends what do you want to do. If you already have 6link ED bow than it's easy since you dont need 6link chest.

Carcass Jack is used for it's AOE boost and since Glacier Legion farming is very popular so is Carcass Jack.
Shavronne is popular for it's low life Aura reservation and thus highest damage.
Perfect Form for it's utility and all around good stat boost. You get free Arctic Armor skill, free Phase Acrobatics (very) high evasion if you invest into cold resistance and best synergy with 'Escape Artist' Ascendancy node. Also you can save a lot of skill points since you dont have to use skill points to get Acrobatics node cluster.

When it comes to helmet if I'am not mistaken The Devouring Diadem should be most popular for it's utility.
Second most popular is rare -9% to chaos resistance crafted helm that can be crafted for cheap using Aberrant Fossil on normal 1-socket Hubris Circlet.
There is also some other unique high ES helmets being used like The Vertex.

Thanks for the answer,also you primordialiege!
Lots of new folks entering the theead, lots of good questions being asked. Glad to see a lot of people trying out DoT builds - they're fun, right? Just figured I'd take a sec to share some answers I've posted in the past to help answer some frequently asked questions I've seen in the last couple of days.

Disclaimer:

Spoiler
I use Soulrend/Bane (I've taken down Uber Eler, Shaper a few times, his guardians multiple times, T16 Elder guardians, and plow through T16s/T15s with ease. It's not super great in timeless conflicts, so I usually just sell my emblems). The main difference between me and most here is I use a 6L perfect for for dual-cursing with Bane. the standard setup does not need a 6L chest, and as such offers more flexibility in your gem slots/options.

Why use a bow:

Spoiler
The main value out of using the bow is the fact that you can get +3 gems. +1 for your main skill, +3 for the supports, and even an +5 with a level 4 empower. With the other mods you can mastercraft on it, there isn't really anything out there that can beat it. It also makes it easier to cheaply gear the rest of your character, as you only need 4L setups for Bane/Contagion, leaving you a bunch of free slots to mess with various offensive/defensive setups.

Crafting a 6L ED +3 bow:

Spoiler

Note, this is for the alt/regal method. Not a fan of the other method so I wont mention it

Get a white one of those.

EDIT 1: the short bows are the easiest to color, and can be acquired cheaply with

If you want one with movement speed then be prepared to spend a bit more for the base and the coloring as they have a higher dex requirement

1. Transmute it, and then use alts until you hit +1 gems (socketed).
2. Regal
3. Annul off the other affix(es) so that you have a rare bow with +1 gems

If you miss, scour it and repeat steps 1-3. Once you have a rare bow with only the Paragon mod (+1 gems) move on to step 4:

4. Craft "Can have multiple crafted modifiers"
5. Craft "+2 Level of socketed support gems"
6. Craft "Increased Chaos damage"
7. Craft "Increased cast speed"
8. Craft "Non-ailment damage over time multiplier"
9. Craft "% chance to gain Arcane Surge when you kill an enemy"

EDIT 2: some of the crafting options aren't easy to come by, and when you're investing this much into a multimod, you definitely want the highest tier affixes available. I used this guy for everything but the "can have multiple crafted modifiers" mod (I did that myself). He was super professional, probably one of the better crafting services I've used over the years. I'd recommend hitting him up for sure.

It's also worth mentioning you should be prepared to spend a fair amount of currency to do this. The multi mod and +2 support gems is 4ex right there. And the cost of alt-spam/regal/annulment can rise pretty quickly - and this part you'll need to do before a third party crafting service will multimod it for you (at least, this is generally the case.

"Is The Perfect Form that good? How much does it improve your evasion?"

Spoiler

note, my numbers have improved since I posted this, but the concept is still the same
Whatever your uncapped cold resistance is. For instance, I'm currently at 105% cold res (after -30% the reduction from the chest). That means my evasion rating is increased by 105%. I don't have the best stats at the moment, but while wearing the chest I have 2700ish ES and over 11K evasion. If I remove the chest, I drop to 2K ES and 4K evasion. If I put on Hyrri's Ire (with the max evaszion roll) I'm at almost 12K evasion (300 away), and over 3K ES. Respectable? Sure. But I lose free Phase Acrobatics and I actually do have room in my build for arctic armor + 3 other auras - so for me, it works. It's also worth mentioning going with Hyrri's Ire drops my life from 5K to 4600, which is basically the difference in ES. Also, I have no use for the cold damage/chill stats, so it's not that impressive to me. Now, if I put on Atziri's Splendor (pure evasion) my evasion drops to 9K, but my ES stays at over 3K. The evasion + ES version boosts my ES to 3800, but my evasion drops to 7100. All-in-all, I personally feel that The Perfect Form is BiS, when you consider not only the defenses, but its value. A "free" aura (at the cost of a socket) and a free Keystone passive are kinda tough to beat IMO, especially when the difference in global defense is marginal.

EDIT: My total uncapped cold res is 119%. My bad.

Current gear:

Spoiler

Obviously there's room for improvement, but this is working fantastically for me.

Current tree for those wondering what an endgame Soulrend/Bane setup might look like:

Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYCAAQHBLMG5wceCPQOSA-rES0RUBGWE20UCRa_GGobyBzcH0Ei6iL0JIsmiCaVLJwyATLRM6M2PTpYPLZFR0WdSRNJUUmxTINMs1IpUlNSr1NSVUtVxlXgWAdYWlxAXY5d8mHiYetirGf8ahtqQ2qMbAtsjG0ZcNR0gXWedoJ4L3pTfIN85X_Gg9uExYUyh8uJ4Iw2jxqP-pMfkyeVLpeVl_SYU5rgm6GbtZ2qoS-iAKKjotmjo6QFpyunm6yYrUqw2LIZtNG1SLcwuQK86r6KwGbBxcHzwzrIDMgUzxXPes_d0B_Xz9o75ljr7u-I7-vw1fGK9W_31_k3-aT-sw==?accountName=psyonix&characterName=InTheAbsenceOvLight

I'd love to post a PoB link, but I'm playing on Linux. maybe someone else can import the character:

InTheAbsenceOvLight

To get an idea of what the numbers look like. I'm sure they're pretty good. Anyway, just thought I'd reshare some of this - hopefully it will help some folks! Hit me up in game if you have questions too!

"
Cabdyman5OS wrote:
Si I am playing this build in Hardcore. Im up too act 9 (Lvl 67) pretty easily but my gear isnt great. Lol. Im still using 2 Lifesprig....lol.

So my question is what should I target first? I plan on using Atziri's Splendor for my Body Armor but no idea what I should target for the rest of my gear.

Any help is appreciated.

Character Name is Dripping_Poisons

Anyone, I am completely new to ED/Bane characters. Would Breath of the council be worth it? What about off hand? Im pretty lost. Lol.
"
Cabdyman5OS wrote:
"
Cabdyman5OS wrote:
Si I am playing this build in Hardcore. Im up too act 9 (Lvl 67) pretty easily but my gear isnt great. Lol. Im still using 2 Lifesprig....lol.

So my question is what should I target first? I plan on using Atziri's Splendor for my Body Armor but no idea what I should target for the rest of my gear.

Any help is appreciated.

Anyone, I am completely new to ED/Bane characters. Would Breath of the council be worth it? What about off hand? Im pretty lost. Lol.

You'd be best served by reading the guide. He went to a lot of trouble to put it together, and he details the stats you should prioritize on gear. Also, there are several folks in here with endgame setups that are worth taking a look at for inspiration. To answer your question, sure breath of the council can be worth it, but the phys roll is wasted on a build like this. You're best served using a rare wand with spell damage and a NACDOT mod that you might be able to mastercraft chaos damage on to use for a while until you can afford a +3 bow. Your offhand could be a shield with stats to help supplement your life/resists/spell damage/ES etc. Or even Zeel's Amplifier. That said, I have to repeat, read his guide, thoroughly, and make your decisions based on the knowledge you'll gain from it.
"
Psyonix wrote:
"
Cabdyman5OS wrote:
"
Cabdyman5OS wrote:

Any help is appreciated.

You'd be best served by reading the guide. He went to a lot of trouble to put it together, and he details the stats you should prioritize on gear. Also, there are several folks in here with endgame setups that are worth taking a look at for inspiration. To answer your question, sure breath of the council can be worth it, but the phys roll is wasted on a build like this. You're best served using a rare wand with spell damage and a NACDOT mod that you might be able to mastercraft chaos damage on to use for a while until you can afford a +3 bow. Your offhand could be a shield with stats to help supplement your life/resists/spell damage/ES etc. Or even Zeel's Amplifier. That said, I have to repeat, read his guide, thoroughly, and make your decisions based on the knowledge you'll gain from it.

I do have a plus 3 bow with the NACDOT crafted roll. It just lacks the chaos damage roll.
Hey guys, leveling up right now (in Act 9), and I had a question about end game gems. I noticed nobody uses bane in their setup - how do you go about killing mobs faster? Right now bane is my "kill stuff fast" skill, and ED/Con is my single target or monolith popper. Is it through the blight gloves? Or do you just cast ED/Con on stuff all the time?
"
blu3fireball wrote:
Hey guys, leveling up right now (in Act 9), and I had a question about end game gems. I noticed nobody uses bane in their setup - how do you go about killing mobs faster? Right now bane is my "kill stuff fast" skill, and ED/Con is my single target or monolith popper. Is it through the blight gloves? Or do you just cast ED/Con on stuff all the time?

I started off with a 5-link ED in QoTF to go fast and farm low tier maps to get the 6-link bow. I also had Bane socketed, I like it for smashing urns quickly and killing small white packs.

After farming for quite a bit, I got the bow and even bought the Malevolence Watcher's Eye. I like going fast, so I still use Bisco's Leash for the Rampage and the 5-link QoTF now has Bane in it. I just killed t15 Elder (not that impressive, going to try Shaper next) with my current setup quite easily. I'm not using Acrobatics or MoM/EB at least yet, but I probably(?) should switch to Perfect Form at some point. I just haven't died in a long time, so there hasn't been a need for a change in my setup so far.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend my setup, but I'm still doing fine with Bane in there too. I just like it too much, and as said, survivability hasn't been a problem yet in t15 maps.
Cool - it seems like there's a lot more flexibility in this build for playstyle then. I'll tinker with a few item choices and see where I land.
I'm back to maining my ED character. I enjoyed leveling and gearing Ele Hit, and will still use it for Uber Elder, Elder, Timeless Conflicts... which ED isn't great for.

But it would be REALLY hard to come up with something as smooth and enjoyable for pure mapping / delving as this guy. I thought HH not scaling in damage would hold ED back, but I don't think damage scaling is as important as the speed and survivability bonuses HH can give. And getting multiple projectiles from mobs feels really nice for ED as well.

Here's my pretty much 'final' gearing. I'm mostly just doing challenges at this point, and trying to level. I doubt anything big will change in terms with gear ever again. I am still trying to corrupt a chaos dot elder ammy into a good implicit talisman, but that is such a longshot lol. I also should really craft a better helmet at some point cause I've stockpiled Aberrants, but that is just laziness.

Final gear and flasks:

Spoiler

Notes:
• I'm sitting at 37% chaos resistance, which makes doing high tier Alva maps extremely comfortable. This is probably reserved as a a luxury option.
• -7 mana cost to skills crafted on rings is amazing if you are not using Eldritch Battery. I am using 5 skills constantly, and this prefix craft does so much heavy lifting for me.
• I should probably be using a Solstice Vigil amulet, ideally with the 'additional curse' corruption, and then fix my resistances with a rare glove. There's really no excuse for not using this when running a HH, except for laziness to change (lol).
• Projectiles pierce (seen on my talisman) is important for clearing mobs that have an invincibility dude mixed in. You can also get this on a quiver. If you don't want to run pierce, you may want to either skip those packs, or kill them with a Blight 6 link, or Blight totem setup.
• For "No Regen" maps, I will swap Basalt for a mana flask, and also turn off Malevolence. No regen maps can be pretty rippy, in contrast to the equivalent mods with regen available. I actually recommend rerolling or switching characters, if you have the luxury to do so.

~ twitch.tv/animeprincess ~ everything was beautiful and nothing hurt ~
Last edited by xsnowingx on Jul 8, 2019, 4:04:23 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info