League challenges - the pre-loading of challenges should be disabled

First of all, I have to say that I really enjoj the whole set of challenges in Perandus league. There are many of them, they are well thought, well balanced, they cover wide range of playing activity and most importantly, because of the fact that there aren't many of them which are "hidden" behind the hoards of currency or pure RNG - they are FUN to do. I utterly enjoj completing every single one of them. I do the most of them solo or with a group of friends and I do them for my own sense of accomplishment.

Now, if we all agree that the challenges are actually a personal achivements for a specific player and are rewarded to them as such, then there should not be so liberal and easy ability to "share" challenges to other people. It basically trivializes and abuses the challenge system to a point that 90% of a challenges can be completed by nothing else but party-ing up and entering the portal. For instance, sitting the whole day on /global 820 and spamming "invite me" whenever someone goes "Full clear twinned tier X" or "Boss kill Y" does not, by my book, actually count as any form of PoE skill or effort and should, therefore not be rewarded as such.

The "preloading" of the challenges for other people and then sharing (or selling) them via community channels has become the next big thing which is maybe (in theory) intended to bring players more together, but it actually does the contrary. It, IMHO trivializes and degrades the community. Instead of teaming up and questing for a certain challenge, people are more and more alienated because they want to catch as many freebies challenges as possible in the limited time they can spend online. In the "rush hour", they don't even say "thank you" when you share them a tough challenge, they don't even honor their rotas - I've been in some rota yesterday when a guy just plain left - when I later asked him what is up - he said he jumped in on some free "full clear T12" map which is "more important than some master xp and a possible ignore by bunch of noobs". To make long story short, people have became the challenge scavengers and there is nothing nice about it.

My suggestion for the solution is really simple. Only players present in the party when the instance is opened are eligible for the challenge completion under that instance. People who join the party AFTER the instance is already live should not be able to complete any challenges in under that instance. This way, nothing will change much, people will still be able to help each other and "carry" each other to the hard challenge, but the absurdity of pre-loading challenges for other people and "sharing" them in under couple of seconds will be disabled. As the result of this, there will be no doubt left that the vast majority of the challenges people do accomplish are actually worked for and earned by hard gameplay.

Your thoughts?

(reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/49z5uf/league_challenges_the_preloading_of_challenges/)
Last edited by npavcec on Mar 12, 2016, 5:15:50 AM
Last bumped on Jan 8, 2018, 12:39:04 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I don't agree with your standpoint. I did some challenges in a party and usually do the harder ones with guild mates. It is always fun, because everyone want a piece of those mobs/objectives.

GGG is encouraging players to join each other for challenges. If not they would disable the challenges in party, PoE would be a little worse. I can accept this not be tolerable for single-player lone wolfes.

Challenges like "clear full ...." can only be done once per area. After there has to be created a new instance. There are some leechers too, but in general all players help because they don't want to waste their time and get it over.
Completely agree with the OP, great post. :)
"
I don't agree with your standpoint. I did some challenges in a party and usually do the harder ones with guild mates. It is always fun, because everyone want a piece of those mobs/objectives.

GGG is encouraging players to join each other for challenges. If not they would disable the challenges in party, PoE would be a little worse. I can accept this not be tolerable for single-player lone wolfes.

Have you even read my post with understanding? It would change nothing about party play; on the contrary, with my suggestion, players would absolutely be encouraged to do challeneges properly in party play because most of them would be to hard solo and/or it would be faster.

The only thing which would change is the is the liberal challenge "sharing" - you would not be able to jump in to some random party and make a challenge which someone else PRE-LOADED for you. Rather, you would have to be in party, open instance (or map) and do the whole challenge AS A PARTY, from the scratch.
BUMP-ing this up since I think it is relevant for the start of the new challenge league.
Have to agree on this one. The challenge sharing is pretty stupid (but can make you some currency if you are lucky, which is kind of nice for mostly-solo players).
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
I don't see it being a big issue. People can get the challenges however they like.

For eg, I got the 'use these trinkets' challenge by watching poelab.com and seeing when the trinkets were available. I could have done the work myself, but instead I let the poelab people do it for me. Overall I am now much happier as a result. Why do you care so much about how other people play the game?

Also, people will be 'dishonborable' regardless of the system. If that person who didn't honor their Rota was a jerk, then it doesn't really matter about the challenge system, they would be a jerk regardless.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on May 27, 2016, 9:01:59 PM
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
I don't see it being a big issue. People can get the challenges however they like.

Point is, they can't. If you want to get the unique ID challenge, you have to buy those uniques. If you want to kill all the chest guardians, you have to go to the 820 channel and find someone who has them.

The challenges are balanced around the fact that you can trade for them. That is why e.g. Tantalo Perandus is so ridiculously rare.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
"
npavcec wrote:
"

Have you even read my post with understanding? It would change nothing about party play; on the contrary, with my suggestion, players would absolutely be encouraged to do challeneges properly in party play [rest of bullshit redacted]

Oh. So glad someone knows how to do things properly around here. And here I've been enjoying the game the wrong way all this time.

Thanks for shedding your divine light on us benighted degenerates!
Quoting Saltychipmunk:
...I look at the new act 5 boss where you have to hide behind the statues to survive the bullet hell and all I can think is... how the fuck are zombies going to survive that?

They don't know what hiding is... they don't know what dodging is... they are morons.
T-Down.

I would however support real SOLO challenges like "Kill Atziri with 5 remaining portals."

Also, completely against the "buy unid items or crappy cards for three times their values to get a challenge", they should just remove those.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info