SET FREE THE ASCENDANCY POINTS (or rework the lab) [New ascension methods/lab rework ideas]

"
Turtledove wrote:

edit:
-d) Trap game play is not as much fun for many people and is more tiring for others than normal PoE game play.

Okay. Why? What makes a trap tiring when you're whirling over it, compared to whirling over dirt in a map? As far as fun goes, a trap that can hurt you on a clock is probably the more interesting of the two, compared to... dirt.

But tell me, I'm curious to hear your answer. :)
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
"
Lab is by far the longest maze in the game, with far more backtracking than anywhere else.

Doesn't feel that way to me, even gold key areas are circular and the entrance is close to the gold door so you're backtracking only a few rooms to the entrance and back. Some maps are much worse offenders on that part.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:
"
Lab is by far the longest maze in the game, with far more backtracking than anywhere else.

Doesn't feel that way to me, even gold key areas are circular and the entrance is close to the gold door so you're backtracking only a few rooms to the entrance and back. Some maps are much worse offenders on that part.

Pretty much, there is little to no backtracking if you don't get lost ( which is the point of a labyrinth, I believe ), and it isn't too hard of a maze either.

I backtrack more in Cells or Crema than in a whole labyrinth run imo.
Lair sometimes has big forks when one leads to the boss, and the other lead to a dead end or a big loop, that means also more backtracking than the lab overall I think lol.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Fruz wrote:
"
raics wrote:
"

Pretty much, there is little to no backtracking if you don't get lost ( which is the point of a labyrinth, I believe ), and it isn't too hard of a maze either.

I backtrack more in Cells or Crema than in a whole labyrinth run imo.
Lair sometimes has big forks when one leads to the boss, and the other lead to a dead end or a big loop, that means also more backtracking than the lab overall I think lol.

Exactly. When you do the Lab often enough you can almost tell which way is right just by trusting your gut. Or maybe I'm just exceptionally gifted. Unlikely.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
"
raics wrote:
"

You might technically be correct on this point.

I hated running lab and I felt a palpable sense of disappointment when I had to backtrack in lab that didn't arise to the same degree in other parts of the game. Lab probably just seemed to me to have more backtracking.

The omission of a contrary opinion seems to indicate that we agree lab is easily the longest maze in the game.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
"
The omission of a contrary opinion seems to indicate that we agree lab is easily the longest maze in the game.

It's probably the longest anything in the game, barring some race modes which aren't called endless for nothing. I think the length is ok, 2-3 areas before each boss fight seems about right and they're planning to cut down on the normal and cruel versions.

It's a bit fiddly because it's segmented, 2 areas before every boss fight is 6 total, if they reduce it to 1 per segment we'd get 3 total which is a joke and 3 per segment to get 9 is a bit much.

Anyone thinks distributing it unevenly would make any difference? As in 3-2-1, so the beginning would be trap-heavy and the end boss-heavy, if players dislike traps more it might be better to get it out of the way.

"
raics wrote:

It's a bit fiddly because it's segmented, 2 areas before every boss fight is 6 total, if they reduce it to 1 per segment we'd get 3 total which is a joke and 3 per segment to get 9 is a bit much.

Anyone thinks distributing it unevenly would make any difference? As in 3-2-1, so the beginning would be trap-heavy and the end boss-heavy, if players dislike traps more it might be better to get it out of the way.

The fact that we still talk about "normal, cruel and merciless" lab shows to me that GGG is just stubborn to keep lab as it is. Their goal all along was to get rid of three repetitive difficulties, yet they keep that setup for the lab? Why? Because "Ascendancy Points were designed to be given in pair, two and two"? I don't think it would hurt the game nor the players if they found a way to streamline the lab the same way they streamline the game.

And when the lab is so fun, interesting and rewarding and not to mention good designed ARPG content, why is 9 areas "a bit much"?

No. Less traps. More encounters. Argus is too lonely in there. Remove the traps and have an interesting boss encounter at the end of each segment.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
The fact that we still talk about "normal, cruel and merciless" lab shows to me that GGG is just stubborn to keep lab as it is. Their goal all along was to get rid of three repetitive difficulties, yet they keep that setup for the lab? Why? Because "Ascendancy Points were designed to be given in pair, two and two"? I don't think it would hurt the game nor the players if they found a way to streamline the lab the same way they streamline the game.

I could use first, second and third just as easily, that's probably what we'll switch to after playing 3.0 for a while and I'm still running NCM here. Dunno about their reasoning but even two ascendancy points are often a huge boost, four seems like a bit much to me. Sure, you can just wait until maps and do all three labs but you kinda earned that boost by playing at half steam until then.

Of course, not sure we aren't having this conversation just because the campaign is so piss easy. If it was hard we might even be happy for the chance to get two points earlier rather than waiting longer to double it up.

"
gibbousmoon wrote:
The original title of the thread was "SET FREE ASCENDANCY POINTS," which is where the initial misunderstandings came from. It was missing the "THE."

That said, any native speaker of English can tell you that that title does not mean "gib us AP for free" either. There was clearly some bad-faith interpretation going on there and/or assumptions made by EFL speakers. But even the latter had no excuse: As someone pointed out, it was later clarified that this was absolutely not what the thread title meant. Still, some chose to ignore that, and focus instead on the "you want shit for free, get lost man!" angle, because it is such an easy statement to make fun of. Ever hear of a "strawman?" Well, there is a classic example.

Apparently it was missing the "set" part too...

"
Regulator wrote:

The original title was "FREE ASCENDANCY POINTS"

No 'bad faith' needed to interpret that as asking for something for nothing.

Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
It is 'bad faith' to not read past the thread title to extract the full meaning.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info