SET FREE THE ASCENDANCY POINTS (or rework the lab) [New ascension methods/lab rework ideas]

"
Telzen wrote:
"
None of us have numbers.
GGG does. Oh and guess what they haven't done? Change the labyrinth.

Alternate method doesn't necessarily require 'changing' anything.
"
morbo wrote:
"
Well, there you go.

As you've said, it's a no effort thing anyway, so why not make an alternative method of achieving the same no effort result? It hurts no one and provides a way to keep more people playing :)

It's because most people, including me, would almost always choose path of least resistance. If ascension was much easier, no one would run the hard option, because why bother? Developers job is to challenge the player, because the player will almost always use the best option available.

For most players it still faster to run the Lab themselves, than searching for carry and hoping it wont scam them. Exception being Uber, since it's a lot harder than the rest.

Give an easy way to ascend yourself and no-one would run the Lab.

But it's already bean established that it's dead easy just by paying a couple chaos orbs. How about if the alternative way were exceptionally MORE difficult and without the big load of loot at the end?

If people choose that way rather than the lab way, it wouldn't invalidate the lab. It would show that people WANT difficult over the easy, annoying cheese through the lab.
"
"
morbo wrote:
"
Well, there you go.

As you've said, it's a no effort thing anyway, so why not make an alternative method of achieving the same no effort result? It hurts no one and provides a way to keep more people playing :)

It's because most people, including me, would almost always choose path of least resistance. If ascension was much easier, no one would run the hard option, because why bother? Developers job is to challenge the player, because the player will almost always use the best option available.

For most players it still faster to run the Lab themselves, than searching for carry and hoping it wont scam them. Exception being Uber, since it's a lot harder than the rest.

Give an easy way to ascend yourself and no-one would run the Lab.

But it's already bean established that it's dead easy just by paying a couple chaos orbs. How about if the alternative way were exceptionally MORE difficult and without the big load of loot at the end?

If people choose that way rather than the lab way, it wouldn't invalidate the lab. It would show that people WANT difficult over the easy, annoying cheese through the lab.

If you allow people to completely overlevel it at the point where its completely trivial, it will never be actually more difficult.
And if it actually is more difficult ( because of mechanics that cannot be just factanked like trap ), people will still bitch about it imho.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"

Yeah, that's what I said several times. Alternatives are ok, but they must be more "inconvenient" (lenghty, grindy, expensive, etc..) than the Lab, to the point that most people would still choose to run through Lab.

But the main problem is how to find an alternative that would please most those who don't like the Lab. Solving this is less straightforward for GGG, than previous "community issues" (eg. loot allocation).

It might take a while before GGG does anything.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
There are some ideas in the OP.
"
morbo wrote:
"

Yeah, that's what I said several times. Alternatives are ok, but they must be more "inconvenient" (lenghty, grindy, expensive, etc..) than the Lab, to the point that most people would still choose to run through Lab.

But the main problem is how to find an alternative that would please most those who don't like the Lab. Solving this is less straightforward for GGG, than previous "community issues" (eg. loot allocation).

It might take a while before GGG does anything.

Twinned Core Malachai Map, solo. Get you normal ascension.
"

Ofc, but which one is the best? Ideas are cheap for us, implementation costs GGG dev time / money.

"
Gaza wrote:

Somoene else posted something similar, iirc:

Merc Mala -> first 2 pts
Normal Atziri -> next 2
Core Mala -> next 2
Uber Atziri -> final 2

Yea, people would go nuts even more :)
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Well my solution would be more a row of Izaro like fights. A Gauntlet of Blood and... well Death very likely.

You could get into a series of fights against different enemies from the game with additional hazards in the arena (would be interesting if you could even use them against enemies).

One fight could include all 3 Bandits from ActII. One could include all the Blackguard Champions we encounter in ActII and III. We could have a fight vs. Daresso and Phase I Merveil or vs. Kaom + all Totem bosses from Haku missions. Or a fight against all non-scion rogue exiles (or just a certain amount like 3 or 5).

This would likely be harder than the lab and the fights would start at 68 and every 5 fights you could get 2 points up to 6, the last two would still be in the uber lab.

Since there isn't really any progression that could be linked easily with Ascendancies they need something new, and an arena fight seems like the least effort to get another way into the game. The bosses to fight against are already their, combining them together creates interesting and likely partially unfair challanges, since some combinations are likely easier than others, but thats also true for the lab.

"
Ofc, but which one is the best? Ideas are cheap for us, implementation costs GGG dev time / money.

That is something very important to note. Exspecially considering two things:

a) GGG likely is deep in development of 3.0 already and has fixed plan for it if not
b) GGG usually doesn't provide that much information about so far away expensions, because a lot could happen until then

So even if they would consider a new way for 3.1 that wouldn't matter all that much because that is a year away. So maybe in 10 months they would start talking about it.
"
morbo wrote:
"

"
Gaza wrote:

Somoene else posted something similar, iirc:

Merc Mala -> first 2 pts
Normal Atziri -> next 2
Core Mala -> next 2
Uber Atziri -> final 2

Yea, people would go nuts even more :)

I would love if GGG would do something like you guys proposed, I think I would drink the salty tears from the forum following that announcement xD
^^^ I think you'd be disappointed to find they'd be salty tears of joy.

@ Emphasy: those are some SOLID fun & thrilling ideas. And really getting back to what this thread was always supposed to be about. THANK YOU

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info