why do some map bosses deal immense damage while others do nothing?

Totally agree with OP here. The map tier should be an indicator of the boss difficulty. Yes, of course only indicator, we are all well aware that there a zillion builds and they handle different content differently.

And this is actually not a call for nerfs. There are only a handful of bosses that feel way too hard for their tier. But there are so many bosses around T6-T9 who are less menacing than any blue pack for ANY build. Make em harder, make em drop more maps. Whole mapping problem solved :P
The answer is pretty simple... the game has no balance.

This is one the worse game ever when it comes to mobs and character balance, coz there's too many "if".

There's only 2 100% stable builds as far as I see - stupid cyclone and dual totem. Everything else you'll have to deal with "if I do that, I won't be able to do this" and vice versa.

I see some players with characters worthing 200+ ex and can't run like 4~6 dif map mods. It's nonsense.

Last edited by SupaMF on Feb 9, 2016, 1:22:09 PM
Perfect examples of this are malformation Piety, and the rock dude on Arsenal.

Arsenal boss feels weak for a level 68 map... Malformation Piety has the damage and tankiness to be an 82 boss.

Edit: Who is Thraxia?? Torture Chamber? If so, I also hated this map boss before learning how to tackle it. Does seem a bit OP for the level, but easy once you understand what to do.
Last edited by thepmrc on Feb 9, 2016, 1:41:54 PM
"
thepmrc wrote:

Arsenal boss feels weak for a level 68 map... Malformation Piety has the damage and tankiness to be an 82 boss.

Edit: Who is Thraxia?? Torture Chamber? If so, I also hated this map boss before learning how to tackle it. Does seem a bit OP for the level, but easy once you understand what to do.

Arsenal is not 68! lol..it's 79

With that being said I agree some bosses are just ridicules while others are lame!

I always skip crematorium boss because all it takes is 1 sec for her to cast her firestorm over you and you are stunned to your death, even with a ruby flask she hits like a damn semi! And they are reducing max gained from ruby in expansion! lol

I also skip Malformation piety unless I am on a build that has very high dps and can walk up and smack the bitch to death before she does her lazer beam of death!

Another one I often skip is the Village Ruin bosses, they are just insane! I got cocky on my SRS build thinking I would just unload everything I had on them and boy was I wrong! Even with 275 minion dmg mod, 200% cast speed, vaal haste, and animate guardian with leer cast and undying breath they got me! Yet I can do uber, dahfuck is this shit?!

I can't think of any others I skip, altho I have yet to see a few of the new high level maps, they just don't drop for me! Once I get this level "99" I think im done leveling, probably start trying them regardless of death seeing as I wont care anymore! lol
Last edited by justinmm1988 on Feb 9, 2016, 2:45:41 PM
"
grepman wrote:

in general, I think more dangerous bosses are fine as long as they have separate boss room. thraxia and temple piety can use one.

I hate bosses having separate rooms. They are generally too confined, and without space to move in, they cause me a lot of deaths. Jungle Valley is really bad for this.
"
thepmrc wrote:

Thraxia is the phantasmagoria boss. Base is the spider creatures (revenants?) from Belly of the Beast and Harvest, that do the ice shots and raise black skeletons.
"
SupaMF wrote:
The answer is pretty simple... the game has no balance.

This is one the worse game ever when it comes to mobs and character balance, coz there's too many "if".

There's only 2 100% stable builds as far as I see - stupid cyclone and dual totem. Everything else you'll have to deal with "if I do that, I won't be able to do this" and vice versa.

I see some players with characters worthing 200+ ex and can't run like 4~6 dif map mods. It's nonsense.

Lol, you probably meant VOLTAXIC instead of "cyclone".
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
FarmerTed wrote:
Thraxia is the phantasmagoria boss. Base is the spider creatures (revenants?) from Belly of the Beast and Harvest, that do the ice shots and raise black skeletons.

Just to reiterate (and possibly save you a death), Revenants and Thraxia (a unique Revenant) does lightning damage, not cold.

---

The map bosses are totally out of whack. I want the bosses to each be scary in different ways (ideally, scary for different builds), but if there's one boss in the tier that outclasses all the others by an order of magnitude, that's just bad balance.
"
justinmm1988 wrote:

I always skip crematorium boss because all it takes is 1 sec for her to cast her firestorm over you and you are stunned to your death, even with a ruby flask she hits like a damn semi! And they are reducing max gained from ruby in expansion! lol

Unless map has too many "damage mods", it's doable for characters with Acrobatics. 75% spell dodge means you take 1/4 damage.

"
justinmm1988 wrote:

I also skip Malformation piety unless I am on a build that has very high dps and can walk up and smack the bitch to death before she does her lazer beam of death!

Agreed. Though, if you wont be oneshotted by her beam and leech life fast enough to recover between beam hits (hello, Vaal Pact), you can just facetank her. But with few "damage mods" beam became a oneshot and then you better skip it.
It was supposed to be "smart tactics" boss, but unlike Vilage Ruin, it's retarded and can punish you even if you're doing it right (welcome, boss near the wall).

"
justinmm1988 wrote:

Another one I often skip is the Village Ruin bosses, they are just insane! I got cocky on my SRS build thinking I would just unload everything I had on them and boy was I wrong! Even with 275 minion dmg mod, 200% cast speed, vaal haste, and animate guardian with leer cast and undying breath they got me! Yet I can do uber, dahfuck is this shit?!

It's the boss who requires "smart tactics", not brute power. Just like you will NEVER be able to do some Vorici's missions as SRS, you wont be able to kill this boss because it requires to kill both Archer and his Pet simultaneously, or at least focus Archer first and then kite Pet (you risk to die from oneshot if you lag a bit, though). Builds, that have control over their DPS and have decent tankiness for 79-lvl maps overall, CAN kill this boss without risk, it just slows farm speed greatly.

IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Feb 9, 2016, 4:03:01 PM
I am a total newb in this game (130 hours played) and this random boss power spike in maps is my biggest complaint so far.

From a new players perspective, it was and is VERY discouraging to roll through a map like I'm on normal difficulty, to suddenly walk into a boss room and die to a one-shot before my mouse can hover over the boss. It's like running into a brick wall that feels completely out of balance and out of place.

I don't yet know which maps have which bosses (only done up to T6 maps), so it's a total crap shoot whether or not I walk in and get decimated without a chance of prevailing, or run circles around some shit boss that doesn't seem to have an attack.

This seems like they pulled bosses out of a hat and placed them blindly into maps, no apparent balance or difficulty curve whatsoever. Most frustrating experience so far in this game.

Ps. Just want to emphasize the fact I am a new player and understand certain things will be more difficult for me than some of you veterans, but I stand by my thoughts.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info