why do some map bosses deal immense damage while others do nothing?

"
biyte wrote:
Who cares?

I like having both accessible hard bosses and easy ass free loot bosses.
Just skip the boss if you think it's too hard. Or are you telling me you guys skip bosses that are too easy because it's unfair in your favor? This 78 boss shudnt be too weak, shouldn't be taking candy and free loot from a baby :(

Also i'd also guess that ggg likes this type of thing, being cruel to players who don't do research and also having 'troll-like' features in general in their game. Permanent Loot Allocation didn't even exist initially, and cut-throat was planned to be permanent league!

my belief is that forcing players to wait for another player to kill the boss and/or die to the boss to create research is only necessary of legitimately endgame content like T15 Malachai and Atziri and 80 Rigwald. Tier 1-4 map bosses shouldn't be able to one shot a (geared, tanky, prepared) player 20 levels above the map. it also makes absolutely no sense and you wouldn't and shouldn't expect the boss to deal lethal damage to YOU when it's a low tier map and you're like level 90+.

even after watching that on a youtube video, you wouldn't expect it when you go into the map. dying to a -- let's be honest here -- WORTHLESS boss makes the game unenjoyable. there's absolutely no reason for this, and telling players to avoid the map means you may as well remove the map from the game.
Last edited by keshanberk on Feb 7, 2016, 7:58:27 PM
Well like I had stated, a reason for there to be such bosses is that you can get a chance to fight hard bosses without having high tier maps.

Isn't everybody complaining about how bad map drop rates are and how rare it is to see a red map?

Who is having other players go kill the boss lol? That's more like a consequence of the game having multiplayer features, theres some benefits to be had and its worth a players time asking global if somebody wants a part of a boss fight then whatever. I think most solo players would just leave if they don't feel like fighting the boss, not call in some bros.

Also I think it's incorrect to think research is only warranted in 'legitimately endgame content' . The 'frontier' of a game can be anywhere. A new player has plenty of reason to wonder if normal mode daresso or whatever is gonna kill them off. The game has lots of aspects, and while mapping I agree is where the bulk of a players time is spent, I think having a strictly linear-in-all-aspects progression, including map boss difficulty, is incredibly bland.
current state lets bad players to do easy maps and great players/builds rewards with expanded content (in addition doing harder maps). Althou some bosses requires some more specific builds like with heavy spell block+lightning res which if was taken will allow you do phantasmagoria.

Its not just bad, it has some good in it. Ofcourse it will cost blind deaths for every new player which might hurt game impression.
Last edited by Andrius319 on Feb 8, 2016, 4:58:50 AM
Multifarious boss difficulty rewards people who have good game knowledge and can assess risk vs reward of taking on certain boss fights. Also I believe Thraxia does entirely lightning damage, so 20k armor is worthless, and 75 res is a baseline, not "tanky."
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
Last edited by MatrixFactor on Feb 8, 2016, 8:04:13 AM
Kind of agree here, the problem is the power of those is so different that if you dont know about that boss its a garanteed dead.

For a veteran, they just skipp it but for new comer that mean a garanteed death often...
Early tier high difficulty bosses are nothing but a noob trap since a "risk & reward" - system doesn't exist in PoE. I can deal with -max turbo Palace domi, but a white malfo Piety screws me over if I play even a little bit wrong, which frankly isn't that hard in the small arena. It makes very little sense to me that a white t9 boss deals way higher burst damage than a t14 one with -max, touch of god excluded.

But hey, that's just PoE.
[s]only mindless sheep think labyrinth is OK to have in PoE.[/s]
okay nevermind labyrinth, fix dx9 blackscreen instead...
"
MatrixFactor wrote:
Multifarious boss difficulty rewards people who have good game knowledge and can assess risk vs reward of taking on certain boss fights. Also I believe Thraxia does entirely lightning damage, so 20k armor is worthless, and 75 res is a baseline, not "tanky."

Apart from the rest of the discussion I was going to point the lightning damage out too. OP thinks Thraxia is cold damage or something?
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
"
"
MatrixFactor wrote:

Apart from the rest of the discussion I was going to point the lightning damage out too. OP thinks Thraxia is cold damage or something?

Hi. so I had 75 in all resists except chaos. Thraxia still has the ability to do over 5000 damage to a max (standardly 75) res character that's nearly 20 levels above the map. tanky means that I put the majority -- if not all of my skill points into hp, regen, and tanky nodes on the tree. what is your point about me choosing the wrong element type when Thraxia still deals lethal damage at a distance off my screen? I could've pumped a lightning flask. but my main point stands that Thraxia should not be dealing lethal damage to characters way over her level.
Sadly "20 levels above map" doesn't mean much in PoE. Sure, you got some more HP from the levelups and maybe some more HP nodes from the tree. But your equip is most likely the same, cause the level requirements cap out in the early 70s on pretty much all gear.

So chances are, that your defense is not that different at 90 comapared to 70. At least I tend to spend the later points mainly on offense, since maxing out defense is always one of my first priorities on HC.

I still agree that some deaths are downright cheap and you are basically asking for a beating when going into them with no prior knowledge. Many don't give you time to adapt, no "oh shit" moment, just total obliteration. Don't know, some of those feel more like a "theoretical" encounter, because you basically don't want to get hit even once.
Not much of a real fight that is imo, but that's apparently GGG's vision for a "perfect" boss. Imagine UFC where every contact would result in an instant knockout. Sure sounds like fun, much better than a long fight where the odds of winning are ever changing till the end. GGG's only way to prolong a battle is to insert those immunity phases (Atziri/Malachai). But in maps it's "burst down or prepare to get bursted".

Edit: Added a sentence or two to the post before realizing it got quoted already. Underlying message remained unchanged though.
Last edited by Showmeyours on Feb 9, 2016, 12:13:02 AM
"
Showmeyours wrote:
Sadly "20 levels above map" doesn't mean much in PoE. Sure, you got some more HP from the levelups and maybe some more HP nodes from the tree. But your equip is most likely the same, cause the level requirements cap out in the early 70s on pretty much all gear.

So chances are, that your defense is not that different at 90 comapared to 70. At least I tend to spend the later points mainly on offense, since maxing out defense is always one of my first priorities on HC.

I still agree that some deaths are downright cheap and you are basically asking for a beating when going into them with no prior knowledge. Many don't give you time to adapt, no "oh shit" moment, just one-shot obliteration. Don't know, some of those feel more like a "theoretical" encounter, because you basically don't want to get hit even once.
Not much of a real fight that is imo, but that's apparently GGG's vision for a "perfect" boss.

well, you see, I view in this light. path of exile is designed to be similar to diablo 1 and 2.
how many creatures or abilities honestly could one shot you in diablo 2 outside of pvping? maybe pindleskin. possibly baal.. rarely. I'd say the only thing that assuredly would unfairly kill you in diablo 2 was Iron Maiden. therefore we can safely say diablo 2 didn't have many bullshit ways to kill a character. if you died, you died fairly.

I also look at it from this perspective: games like five nights at freddy's stay fun for a few hours, yes? you don't consistently sit here wanting a jumpscare. the gimmick gets very fucking old very fast.

in a game like path of exile, I view one shot deaths to be a five nights at freddy's jumpscare gimmick. it gets old. it's not fun when it's a consistent thing. and I sure as hell don't want to experience it as an unfair mechanic in a hardcore mode -- unless I willingly went into the map and asked for it -- like Poorjoy.

you know, I can't really say that killing Thraxia is an achievement I can tell my friends or...anyone. Thraxia is a low tier map boss and the drops would've been bad or moderate at best. in what sense should that boss be dealing the damage it deals? obviously this is just some random boss that GGG refuses to modify further because they lack the staff to create legitimate balance through their game that is ... slowly, honestly, getting larger. -> and I back up my flame with the evidence that Thraxia has been complained about this season, but the thread was started a month ago. <-
Last edited by keshanberk on Feb 9, 2016, 12:05:02 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info