why do some map bosses deal immense damage while others do nothing?

so even at level 90+ you can get wrecked by level 70 map bosses such as Thraxia. why is path of exile designed to be so inconsistent? shouldn't the progression all be forward and more difficult as you keep going up in level? some bosses can directly hit you and deal NO damage, while others immediately show you that they're dangerous. why not just make everything mutually or equivalently dangerous at that tier?

let me clarify. let's say you have 75 in every resist...except chaos -- because that's a different story. why do bosses like Thraxia have the ability to one shot you from 5k hp to 0 hp through full ice resist and 70% physical mitigation while bosses on T10 maps don't deal anywhere near as much damage? shouldn't the risk versus reward for these bosses be much higher if they're going to be Atziri dangerous? or should they just NOT deal lethal damage to everything? take the Incarcerator for example on T1 maps. this is another boss that can take you from full to 0 with a huge aoe. you can completely stomp everything on the map until you reach these random bosses that were created to unexpectedly one shot you. is this really a fair practice in the game? or did you guys just forget to change it after you added more content?
Last edited by keshanberk on Feb 9, 2016, 5:13:36 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Because there is no "mutually dangerous".

Some people will roflstomp Thraxia with their build, while others will roflstomp jungle valley.

It's both the divergence in builds and map bosses that creates weaknesses/strengths for builds and maps.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:

Some people will roflstomp Thraxia with their build, while others will roflstomp jungle valley.

It's both the divergence in builds and map bosses that creates weaknesses/strengths for builds and maps.

Peace,

-Boem-

There are bosses that pose no threat no matter what your build is (unless you're greatly undergeared). For example, Wharf or Pier bosses are just a joke. You slay them like they're creeps.

And some boses pose a threat to any build. Yes, if you overgear them (or your build hardly counters them), you can "roflstomp" them too. But that shouldnt be an issue.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Feb 7, 2016, 1:56:54 PM
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

Peace,

-Boem-

There are bosses that pose no threat no matter what your build is (unless you're greatly undergeared). For example, Wharf or Pier bosses are just a joke. You slay them like they're creeps.

And some boses pose a threat to any build. Yes, if you overgear them (or your build hardly counters them), you can "roflstomp" them too. But that shouldnt be an issue.

correct, I can just facetank bosses like Lord of the Bow (canyon) when he deals (full?) chaos damage and I have -60 chaos resist. I can't even remotely challenge a boss like Thraxia's CONSISTENT ice fling if she makes contact and I have full resist toward the element and armor. why?
Last edited by keshanberk on Feb 7, 2016, 2:03:54 PM
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

Peace,

-Boem-

So what is your preferred "solution" assuming one is required?

Buff all map bosses to thraxia's level?
Nerf all bosses to pier level?

I was simply saying that "mutually dangerous" is an illusion. Because it goes from the assumption builds are equally strong and have the same weaknesses and strengths to perform balance around.

The current situation imo is pretty great. Easy maps to farm up etc and harder maps within tiers to test builds if you so desire it or to challenge you with.(mechanically more intense fights)

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

Peace,

-Boem-

So what is your preferred "solution" assuming one is required?

Buff all map bosses to thraxia's level?
Nerf all bosses to pier level?

I was simply saying that "mutually dangerous" is an illusion. Because it goes from the assumption builds are equally strong and have the same weaknesses and strengths to perform balance around.

The current situation imo is pretty great. Easy maps to farm up etc and harder maps within tiers to test builds if you so desire it or to challenge you with.(mechanically more intense fights)

Peace,

-Boem-

that you nerf bosses to an acceptable range of damage for that tier along with buff the bosses that deal no damage such as Asphyxia and Lady of the Brood. that's a fair and logical way to deal with it.

you measure the amount of damage these bosses do with their main attacks and how often they deal critical damage and/or deal 5~10k damage against a character that isn't mobile. similar to facetanking the vaal oversoul's slam and seeing if it'll one shot you. these bosses should all deal similar damage at their tier and should be menacing but not lethal to characters who're way over the map level unless it's some sort of unique map like POORJOY. and even poorjoy dealt less damage to me than Thraxia. that makes absolutely no sense to me.

side info: when GGG changed mapping and giving maps tiers, I assumed a lot had gone into changing maps. I went to fight the Incarcerator at level 70 with my first season character -- believing that GGG wouldn't have kept such an illogical concept in the game that a low level map boss would still one shot everything. I ALLOWED the Incarcerator's aoe to touch me (to test it) and immediately died. everything up to the Incarcerator was a joke. so in what sense is it a fair concept to create bosses that pop you with one attack -- ESPECIALLY if they're maps designed for new players to mapping? these things shouldn't be in the game until higher tiers.

and I gave GGG too much credit in believing that they would properly revamp a system that needs a dire revamp.
Last edited by keshanberk on Feb 7, 2016, 3:04:22 PM
Shipyard boss does less damage than a white mob, not matter the build im playing that boss is always a joke
Who cares?

I like having both accessible hard bosses and easy ass free loot bosses.
Just skip the boss if you think it's too hard. Or are you telling me you guys skip bosses that are too easy because it's unfair in your favor? This 78 boss shudnt be too weak, shouldn't be taking candy and free loot from a baby :(

Also i'd also guess that ggg likes this type of thing, being cruel to players who don't do research and also having 'troll-like' features in general in their game. Permanent Loot Allocation didn't even exist initially, and cut-throat was planned to be permanent league!
Ive died to Lord of the Bow two times in canyon (lol)

Ive seen kripp almost die to wharf boss (ok, was a looong time ago)

in general, I think more dangerous bosses are fine as long as they have separate boss room. thraxia and temple piety can use one.
"
Boem wrote:

I was simply saying that "mutually dangerous" is an illusion.

-Boem-

"It's an illusion, Exile!"

:P

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info