D3 Patch notes VS PoE patch notes

I m fully geared in d3 , played 2 days hahahaa
R.I.P 4.B.
"
EnderCN wrote:

People just don't seem to realize that D3 was made for the WoW and console crowd, it was never aimed at the D2 crowd. That is why it broke all kinds of sales records as did the expansion yet those who really wanted D2.5 absolutely hated it with a passion. This game is much more of a sequel to D2, D3 was more of a re-envisioning for the modern day gamer.

If you had been looking forward to D3 for years, you were not the target audience of the game.

I totally get why that pisses some people off but to call the game a failure is just being disingenuous.

There is room for both games though. D3 is a quick jaunt for fun where you can just turn your brain off and blow stuff up. Kind of like watching a summer action flick.

PoE is a deeper game that is much more of a commitment to play.

Sometimes I want one thing, sometimes i want the other, so I tend to play both of them off and on.

I disagree. Original first release D3 was as close a target to the long D2 fans as it would ever get, and I remember some really early footage even having portal scrolls and identify scrolls. It looked, early one, like Diablo 2 with Blizzard level of graphics and smoothness. Their decisions to dumb down the skill system was obviously to cater to a wider audience but this has been common in way too many RPGs, like anything Bioware after EA bought them, and basically any MMO (maybe worst in memory for me is Star Wars Galaxies... a tragedy not even Shakespeare can match).

After people realized Diablo 3 wasn't very good at being a Diablo game because they took out everything that made it a Diablo game, they turned it into the insane casual arcade hack and slash it is now, which is still fun for a while and as Candy Crush and Nintendo have proven, casuals are where the money is
"
EnderCN wrote:

There is room for both games though. D3 is a quick jaunt for fun where you can just turn your brain off and blow stuff up. Kind of like watching a summer action flick.

To be fair, when I play D3 I'm using damn near all 8 active skills the game gives me constantly and at appropriate times. When I play PoE, I just spam a single AoE skill because I'm not really missing anything by not using Warcries or utility totems since I'm way above my content level 90% of the time anyway.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
"
Dude we knew that the moment they dropped the lootable skill rune idea during the D3 closed beta. That is precisely when Blizzard lost me forever, and not long after that, a little dev company in NZ showed me how it could be done after all

And a few years later, most skill runes can be bought from NPC vendors. On a fundamental level, is that really different from unlocking them at a specific level? Most players probably don't pick up runes now unless they have quality or they need a L1 rune and don't want to waste a Regret on scrubbing a vendor-bought one.

I do feel that PoE has more interesting skills, though newer ones are a little more same-y, but with Ascendancy introducing sub-classes that will make some classes substantially more suitable for specific builds, which I feel will remove a whole chunk of build freedom, isn't the game continuously moving closer to D3?

I also use fewer active skills in PoE than I do in D3. Now, at least, thanks to stuff like Blasphemy, Ball Lighting + Curse on Hit, etc. And due to the map situation as it is, I experience the PoE end game as far more unchallenging than in D3, where none of the challenging content is gated behind RNG. I would say that PoE is the easier game, in the end game, if you play solo or don't trade.

I still prefer PoE, and that's what I play, but if D3 had been at release what it is now, I probably would have stayed with it.
"
"
Mivo wrote:

And a few years later, most skill runes can be bought from NPC vendors. On a fundamental level, is that really different from unlocking them at a specific level?

Yes. Yes it is. Thanks for asking.

No it really isn't. The skill system of PoE at this point is more of a chore for those who haven't leveled up characters than anything. I started over recently, leveled up 4 guys and now I have access to like 95% of the skill gems at any point in time. It really is no different at all. In fact I prefer the D3 system to be honest. This system only hurts brand new players and those are the wrong targets for complexity.
"

How is it different?

In PoE, I get gems from NPC vendors after completing specific quests, which I complete at specific level ranges. In D3, I unlock skills when I hit specific levels (and more frequently so than in PoE, so I get more toys all the time instead of just occasionally).

In D3, you can't hand down skills to your alts and use them a little sooner on those alts than you would otherwise, but that's just "twinking" and in D3 you can have a friend power-level you, which also gives you access to skills more quickly.

Is gem leveling making a real difference? Not to me. It happens automatically anyway and just keeps your character's power in check. The same happens in D3 in a fashion that has the same result. Again it's only two slightly different ways that lead to the exact same destination.
"
"
Mivo wrote:

And a few years later, most skill runes can be bought from NPC vendors. On a fundamental level, is that really different from unlocking them at a specific level?

Thanks for clearing that up! You totally convinced me now.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
"
Imaginaerum wrote:

I disagree. Original first release D3 was as close a target to the long D2 fans as it would ever get, and I remember some really early footage even having portal scrolls and identify scrolls. It looked, early one, like Diablo 2 with Blizzard level of graphics and smoothness. Their decisions to dumb down the skill system was obviously to cater to a wider audience but this has been common in way too many RPGs, like anything Bioware after EA bought them, and basically any MMO (maybe worst in memory for me is Star Wars Galaxies... a tragedy not even Shakespeare can match).

After people realized Diablo 3 wasn't very good at being a Diablo game because they took out everything that made it a Diablo game, they turned it into the insane casual arcade hack and slash it is now, which is still fun for a while and as Candy Crush and Nintendo have proven, casuals are where the money is

I think you didn't read the back story about OLD Blizzard North version of D3. There were disagreements between the developers of Blizzard North and the owner. It reach a stage where they sent a letter to along the line give in to our demands or we'll resign. The company president accepted their resignations. They scrapped their project and started over. It is probably one of the major reason why Diablo 3 is so different from Diablo 2.

Last edited by deathflower on Jan 26, 2016, 2:04:29 AM
This may sound stupid, but the Buff Buff Buff Patch kept me from playing D3 again.
Last season i had real dropluck and got pretty much perfect rolled BiS Gear on my Witchdoctor and made it into the top1000. Wanted to play that char in the perm league and see how far i can push it.
First day, straight back into the Ranking (obviously), i log in 2nd day and wh000t, everyone was 20 Grift lvl above me, short gear check showed, there was nobody without legacy of nightmares+aquila cuirass faceroll build anymore...
Don't wanna reequip my char again, so quit D3 before i really started again.
IGN: Darkrox (not my main, just for easy contact)
~ Yes i'm the Darkrox from Runes of Magic - World's #1 Guild Pravum 2009 - 2011 ~
"
Boem wrote:
Ha D3 it's hilarious

New set's released, your main skill now does 150000% damage.

"ok".

I'm playing it a bit though, i simply love the monk gameplay, it's the only thing that makes me play that game.

But seriously those damage numbers lel, 250 mill/400 mill/180 mill yeah.....

Peace,

-Boem-

Back when i played D3 vanilla, seeing 10k damage was already high

100ish millions sounds silly :/

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info