Map drop is NOT fine and it is killing the fun

Map drop is fine

yes and in pre 2.0 something like academy felt ordinary to me, now i run out of that tier easily. I say this as someone who has the currency to chisel and chaos for packsize (not all do). The exp is one issue but the sheer boredom of the tier 8-9 map range is killer.
FFS, how many threads do we need on this?
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
"
edgewood wrote:
I am literally stuck at t8's at lvl 92 I chisel alch and make sure all maps I do are high lvl for supposed returns.
http://poe.trade/search/sosiuomiagerik
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jan 21, 2016, 6:41:24 PM
"
Moosifer wrote:

Depends. The faster GGG does something about the pretty bad end-game in PoE, the fewer.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
1. OP is doing it wrong, lots of people sustaining maps and selling their excess.
2. With the INSANE amount of currency you're WASTING on mid-maps you could just buy what you're trying to get.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
Funny. You'd think 'the' would be a very unlikely typo for 'my'.

I dunno man, one of your big things a while back was asking "What was the intention?" and I don't really get the intention behind the RNG gating of map content to the extent that it is. I can understand the XP gain concerns (if not the "too dangerous" concern), but is it really valid?

Your playstyle is different from a lot of other players, and the vocal complaints are coming from people who possibly have different playstyles from the vast majority of people whose numbers make up the metrics that GGG bases the current system on.

It is a tricky one to balance, I guess. But, you either keep the system and endure the complaints, or change the system and endure new ones.

Not so much a kettle of fish as a coffee mug of piranhas.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
"
Fhark wrote:
yes and in pre 2.0 something like academy felt ordinary to me, now i run out of that tier easily. I say this as someone who has the currency to chisel and chaos for packsize (not all do). The exp is one issue but the sheer boredom of the tier 8-9 map range is killer.

Pre-2.0 Academy was a 76. A t9. So. Um. Yeah.
[s]only mindless sheep think labyrinth is OK to have in PoE.[/s]
okay nevermind labyrinth, fix dx9 blackscreen instead...
"
Char1983 wrote:
"
Moosifer wrote:

Depends. The faster GGG does something about the pretty bad end-game in PoE, the fewer.

1. There's, what 2-3 threads on this topic already. There's nothing new or unique to justify this OP making an entirely new thread, just post in the ones that were already made.

2. Even if GGG completely agreed with you, said so and wanted to make every change you said, it would be months before anything went in as they have a development schedule of things they are already working on. Notice now they announced ascendancy almost 2 months ago with a release date about 2 months from now. Safe to say they are working on shit 4-6 months in advance. So do we really need 2-4 new threads on the same topic every week until that point?

3. Map system is now over 3 years old. I've been playing since the patch they introduced them, of all versions this current one shows exactly what they want maps to be. A sustainable level which allows people to progress with higher maps which aren't sustainable, come in bursts and can be a reward. Making content progression feel similar to item progression but less punishing.

Whether you agree or not is irrelevant, this is what they want. If you don't like it there's 3 options, stop playing, be annoyed and continue playing, or make a similar game with the end game you want.

I can say that all these threads basically just asking for no-effort sustainable high maps is never going to get anywhere. If there are threads giving actual ideas on how to improve maps, which I think everyone can agree they can be better, we might get somewhere. But this childish "gimme moar maps!@!" threads are unproductive and I can't imagine GGG is wasting their time with them. It's the same stuff said on repeat.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
"
Your playstyle is different from a lot of other players, and the vocal complaints are coming from people who possibly have different playstyles from the vast majority of people whose numbers make up the metrics that GGG bases the current system on.

Well, if you do your best to discourage people who are not following your vision, and stick to your designs past the breaking point of those who prefer different playstyles, you necessarily end up with a community whose majority portion agrees with your design choices. In PoE's case, this is the traders and the RMTers.

Players who tried to get anywhere without engaging in those activities, either sucked it up and found their niche or, more likely, moved on.

Now the thing is, if you want to grow, and Chris' more recent statements made me think that money is a big concern these days (the talk about marketable features, the stressing how even $30,000 for better Linux support are not feasible, being willing to do custom 3D art for $500 while people who handed over $1000 years ago still either don't have their uniques or uniques without 3D art), you have to see about expanding your market beyond your present share.

I get the impression, and it may well be off, that GGG is no longer fully following their "we do a game we ourselves would like to play, and if other people happen to enjoy it, good; if not, not our problem" stance (my words, not theirs). We are apparently now in the era where marketability is of the essence, possibly more so than previous, inflexible dogmas, and to me, that indicates a fundamental shift in philosophy. They have yielded in many areas already, increasingly appealing to a broader audience (the power creep being part of that).

The last bastion of resistance is the map area, and I feel it needs to fall, too. More than I feel that we needed the other stuff that already happened, because maps are content.

The issue is not that you can't get to 100 without T10+ maps. You can. Whether it's Dried Lake or T5 maps (which give you about the same XP at 90), you can grind your way to 100. But that isn't the point. The point is that it's boring and completely void of any challenge. It's mindless to a degree where it rivals and beats a lot of the Facebook drivel.

It's supposedly a hardcore game. I should be able to consistently expose myself to challenging content on my way to 100, to face dangers, to experience thrilling gameplay. But that is missing because even if you do trade, you play a ton of banal, toothless maps for the most part, broken up by the occasional high level map that is interesting. This is about like watching 15 hours of Loveboat and one hour of A-Team in between. That's PoE end game.

What's really the advantage of that? How does that make for a better experience? Why can't people run T12+ maps constantly and have a good time? They are more likely to die and eat 10% XP loss that way, so they may not even get to 100 faster than they do by grinding T9 or whatever low level maps, because you won't die in those unless you're unlucky.

So who is benefiting from the current map situation?
Last edited by Mivo on Jan 21, 2016, 10:48:06 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info