CwDT Auto Castig - Theorycrafting

Inspired by this build and this reddit thread.

!!!UPDATED BUILD IDEA!!!

I think I have found a pretty interting interaction. Let me summerize a few things here.

- In order to sustain (best case) 2200 Damage per second we wan't a rediculously high absolute life pool. It's therefore a nearby concluesion to play CI as we can easily get 10k+ ES.

- It appears that we have to make the choice between a level 1 CwDT setup with high damage effectiveness spells (and cast 4 times a second) or a level 20 CwDT setup with any spell (and cast once every 3 seconds). A lvl 1 CwDT will also have 70% less damage.

Here's my idea: We use The Whispering Ice. Why?

Spoiler

First off all Icestorm does not have a level restriction. So we can use a potentially high damage spell with a level 1 CwDT. I know, the less damage modifier is still in place, but let me continue.
The high amount of int will not only push our Icestorm damage, but also our ES pool. So we got this covered. We also gain 1% increased Spell Damage per 10 int. And this counts for other spells aswell. We also get a pretty easy 7 link. Now this is what I have in mind:

For Icestorm we use a level 1 CwDT and try to push the damage to a point where it's able to properly clear trash. Links would possibly be CwDT - Controlled Destrucion - Inc AoE - Conc AoE - Hypothermia - Cold Pen. If trash doesn't die now we still can start leveling CwDT step by step. We could get the modifier down to 46% and still cast twice per second.

Now for our second 6L you gonna use a level 20 CwDT - Controlled Destruction and 4 Spells that suits our needs. These spells will be boosted by spell damage from your tree, from Whispering Ice and multiplied by Controlled Distruction. We'd proc those every three seconds. This should melt single target pretty easy.

We can also work Vaal Molten Shell as a ultra single target in there as we would proc it four times per second. There's definetly potential.

Working on a passive tree right now. Will keep you posted :)

So yeah, I've thought about it a while now and did some testing. The reason for this thread is that the possibilities and interactions, which are enabled due to CwDT, are massiv. I can't really make up my mind which approach would be best and I certainly didn't discover every usable mechanic yet.
The variety of builds ranges from Life to ES, Iron Will to Crit Based, High Damage Effectiveness Spells at level 1 or fewer casts with level 20 Spells.

Passive Tree would look like this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here some facts and outlines:

1) The shortest perpetual cycle duration is 0.24 seconds. This can be achieved with a level 1 Less Duration Gem, 4x Army of Bones 20%, 1x Army of Bones 18%. You can lower the frequency of these cycles by swtichting to a lower % Army of Bones (15% results in a 0.60 cycle).

2) In order to auto cast you need to take 528 Damage per cycle.

3) Each cycle will hit you for 700 Physical Damage (2x Skeletons). This damage can be mitigated with Armor. However, you don't want to take less then 528 Damage.

4) MoM should help substantially. I can't really confirm this since it doesn't seem to work on my test character right now. I can't tell why.

5) Without MoM you would need to regenerate (1/Frequency)*(700*(1-PhysReduction)). With a Frequency of 0.24 and optimally 528 Damage per cycle this would result in 2200 Life per second. (1540 Life/Sec and 660 Mana/Sec with MoM).

As it seems 0.24 Cycle Duration is simply not sustainable with a life based character (you'd need MoM, 7700 Life and 20% Life Regen / Sec). I can be done with an ES based Character.
Last edited by kahzin on Jan 22, 2016, 1:36:57 PM
I guess this is a misunderstanding, but the shortest cycle mustnt be shorter than 0.25 seconds. CWDT has a 0.25 second cd for both: activation AND damage tracking.
1. Shortest Cycle is 0.25 sec
2. i read that u can put multiple "summon Skeletons" at one cwdt, when this works u need only 180 dmg per cycle. Because every gem have its own damage Counter
for example:
1. ss - 180 dmg
2. ss - 360 dmg
3. ss - 528 dmg -> next cast

3. it´s possible to cast 3 Skeletons (with a jewel) this allows u to increase youre armour (more tankness)

4. i read at a older post MOM works, i hope it´s true ^^

Because of the needed high Regeneration, i want too build it with immortal call.
This skills stops the cycle (because i got 100% phys red)
So i can cast it only, when i need it and use warlords mark for life leech to sustain the dmg.
"
Goldarm5 wrote:
I guess this is a misunderstanding, but the shortest cycle mustnt be shorter than 0.25 seconds. CWDT has a 0.25 second cd for both: activation AND damage tracking.

I had read that reddit thread yesterday, and someone mentioned the same thing but upon testing they found that they could still get away with a 0.24 second cycle. Not sure if its a bug or a rounding error or something, but everyone was very surprised that it worked in game even though the math said it shouldn't.
Legacy SC IGN: Octora
Standard SC IGN: Octyte
98% reduced duration, no Less Duration = 0.4s
98% reduced duration + level 1 Less Duration = 0.24s (bugged if it works)
97% reduced duration + level 21 less duration = 0.3s (best if bug is fixed)

Probably best to aim for a 21/20 LD and 87% total over five Army of Bones jewels.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jan 21, 2016, 1:11:27 PM
@Nick42
it´s a game. I´m sure there are enough Options why it´s possible.
For example, because cwdt have a delay. Or Heartbound Loop have a small delay.
I´m sure a normal Computer can´t calculate so many informations in 0,01 sek without Errors.
So they put calculations in ticks, it´s impossible to calculate 3 Steps,who build on each other,at the same time.
An alternate combo engine idea. Might not work.

Heartbound Loop + Blood Magic + Skyforth + Cast when Stunned

So can Heartbound Loop damage stun, or not?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
An alternate combo engine idea. Might not work.

Heartbound Loop + Blood Magic + Skyforth + Cast when Stunned

So can Heartbound Loop damage stun, or not?

Dont know for sure, but that would probably be handled like with CI it would count the Max mana without Blood Magic.

you will need to level CWDT if you want to do any damage past lv 20, fragile bloom can help you reach and sustain the threshold of higher levels COWDT up to certain point

i am guessing here but build wise i think your best bet is full life regen with the rest divided between str and life nodes, you need to get as much life as you can.

death oath could olso work but only for 3 secs after each kill.

self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

Last edited by caboom on Jan 21, 2016, 2:06:10 PM
Thanks for the replys so far. The shortest cycle is indeed 0.24 seconds. Someone in the reddit thread suggests that this is because of the cast animation which gets added to the 0.24 secs.
Anyways, I've tested it and it does work with a skeleton duration of 0.24 seconds.

"

2. i read that u can put multiple "summon Skeletons" at one cwdt, when this works u need only 180 dmg per cycle. Because every gem have its own damage Counter
for example:
1. ss - 180 dmg
2. ss - 360 dmg
3. ss - 528 dmg -> next cast

Doesn't really matter imho. You still need to regenerate these 528 damage (~2200 damage per sec)

"
caboom wrote:

you will need to level CWDT if you want to do any damage past lv 20, fragile bloom can help you reach and sustain the threshold of higher levels COWDT up to certain point

i am guessing here but build wise i think your best bet is full life regen with the rest divided between str and life nodes, you need to get as much life as you can.

death oath could olso work but only for 3 secs after each kill.

wonder if the spells casted with CWDT count towards lifespring regen on cast.

Fragile Bloom is what StrangeCloud used to sustain his CwDT Caster. But if you stack those up the increased damage taken gets to heavy. Keep in mind that this counts for Elemental Damage taken as well, which will most likly result in one shots in higher maps.

The other problem that you mentioned is quite a struggle indeed. At level 1 CwDT has a less damage modifier of 70%. Level 1 CwDT + 2x Apep's + Added Chaos + High Damage Effectiveness ist a nice idea, but will the damage be enough to deal with CwDT's 70% less damage?
Last edited by kahzin on Jan 21, 2016, 2:10:54 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info