[2.3.0] Detonate Dead Elemental Proliferation Trap, Massive damage 2mil+

Detonate Dead Burn Proliferation version 2.0! Opie Opie once again

You thought elemental proliferation is dead! You thought burn damage is dead! You were wrong!

News:
- 2.3.0 new chest to deal with curse immunity

My thoughts about 2.3.0:
- except for the chest nothing changes (sadly)
- AOE loss from carcas will compensate the increase in prolif aoe (2.3.0 prolif radius 12->16)
- traps haven't changed at all (ascendancies we used also haven't changed much)
- 2 more ascendancy points you can use on shadow start (scion safes about 3nodes), dmg increase elementalist or blind shiet saboteur

- the problem is that everything else received insane boost in powerlevel, means that this builds purpose of one shot melting everything (exiles/rares/blues/whites) on any tier with 6man party is now meaningless since even the worst geared meta build can do that just fine

Pros:
Solid survivability
Massive damage & AOE
Only Decent clear speed while solo (overkill damage)
Reflect Immune
Party friendly (3 curses, instakilling everything on any tier, very good clear speed)
No lag
Atziri Killer
Curse immunity is no longer a problem

Cons:
No leech or regen, life sustained only by flasks, unless you choosed necromancer
Elemental status immunity
Not budget friendly - 5ex min

Map mods to avoid

Every build has mods which should avoid. Those mods might be deadly or just slow down your progress.

Following mod i would avoid for this build:
Elemental status immunity or avoidance - this one is especially annoying, but it's doable if you swap one of doryani's for The consuming dark, run will still be significantly slower tho (IMO this mod should be remove from the game or they should introduce poison immunity aswell)

And these will slow you down:
No regen - you'll have to wait from time to time for es to regen since ZO doesn't work
Curse immunity - unless you have the new chest
Blood magic - makes EB/blasphemy useless, it's the same as curse immunity only you can't use those 3 auras (very rare and nobody really run it)
Combination of at least 3 of these (2 of them are just fine): Enfeeble, monster life, Elemental equilibrium, fire resistance

Every other mod is like a walk in a park. Even combination of the hardest mods like vulnerability, -res, monster damage, add elemental damage isn't as bad for my build as they are bad for other builds. I can even say that if i'm in party and we run a map like that i'm the one who always survives. Also 100% reflect proof.

Videos

Note: I've been asked to record a party gameplay t14 videos, but my potato simply can't handle it. So I made t12 village ruin with hard mods and twinned ambrius (t15) instead to demonstrate survivability of this build.

Newer:

Village ruin, hard mods

Twinned Ambrius - Colosseum (t15) Boss fight 7:00

Old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upkWpg2Smto - Gorge run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eqAgklOdsw - Wasteland t13

Detonate dead Mechanics

In order to do any damage you need to cast two skills: desecrate (corpses) and DD.

In Ascendancy expansion we get new keystone "Elemental Overload" which gives 40% more elemental dmg on crit for 8s while removing all crit multiplier. This keystone works perfectly with new skill called Orb of Storms which has high chance of crit (thx to multiple hits where crit is rolled for each of them). Use it whenever you need high burst of damage: bosses, tough rares.

Double dipping
Ignite dot is main source of dmg and is composed of initial hit and dot debuff afterwards, where both parts are affected by certain modifiers:

- Negative resist from curses - initial hit and burn

- All Damage nodes (except spell damage) and doryani catalyst ^^

- Concentrated effect + frenzy charges + trap and mine more damage + Elemental Overload multipliers

Few words about Elemental proliferation

Elemental proliferation was nerfed to ground no doubt but is it that bad? Most of the time elemental proliferation (burn builds) is replaced with chance to ignite since you can easily reach 100% ignite without loosing any dmg. But for this build i found proliferation better since it proliferate instantly to all monsters and even keep proliferating after monster is dead.

EP vs binos:
As i said before EP proliferates instantly in radius while binos proliferate on death to next, next and next monster. This means that poison is much more flashy while solo where monsters dying almost instatly while in party binos doesn't stand a chance to EP.
After 2.2. nerf to poison and bino's regen there is no reason to go poison instead of burn.

Leveling

First choose which ascendancy you want to follow. You can change class but you can't change character in middle of a game then you can start leveling. Once you finish act 1 in normal you have several options for skills that will carry you to merciless difficulty (end game). Don't use detonate dead until lvl 60.

Firestorm + trap + trap & mine dmg in +1fire sceptre/wand. (clarity)
Flame totem + faster casting + fire penetration +1fire wand/sceptre (clarity/heralds)
Bladefall + faster casting + added fire + controlled destruction (was nerfed haven't tested, hatred+herald of ash)

Early leveling uniques: Goldrim, Lifesprig or the new Night's Hold talisman

Once you get to merciless docks you should start farming sacrifices. I usually farm from 60 to 73 and get like +-8sets (1ex) use that to buy enhance lvl 3 (much more important than catalysts).
After you get enhance 3 you should aim for starting Life/es/res gear: 800ES total, 3k Life, 75% all elemental no need for any chaos res

Item Upgrade Order:
- Enhance Lvl 3 (1ex)
- Doedre's damning (1c - 10c)
- Basic rare gear and 5link (total 10 - 15c)
- Double doryani (depend on current the state of market 0.5ex - 3ex)
- Better rare gear (total 1ex-3ex)
- 5l Carcass (2ex)
- Good +1 curse amulet
- 6l Carcass (depend on the market 11ex)

Stats

DD Proliferation + Frenzy charges

DD Boss setup + Frenzy charges

Defense

Ascendancy classes

There are 4 options to choose from where each class has a different gameplay.
Classes strengths and weaknesses:

Necromancer (rating 6/10):
  • 50/50 block and 75/75 with rumi's thx to bone offering which lasts 18s and on each block you get 600 life - immortal
  • least damage

Elementalist (6/10):
  • free prolif radius 12 (2.3.0)
  • Conflux can be triggered by burn and will make your traps to shock stack with 100% chance

Scion (10/10):
  • Chieftain + saboteur with shadow start
  • Well balanced
  • best start
  • chance to ignite & trap cooldown & 6 skill tree nodes!

Saboteur (8/10):
  • trap throwing speed & Cooldown & aoe

Links:
Some links depends on your class and personal preference. What i list here below is a base that works, you can upgrade it to suit you best. It's a same dilemma as ascendancy classes there is no best option only your option.

6 Link:
Base for Mapping:

Substitute Fire pen or prolif with Trap Cooldown for classes without CD in tree.

Base for Bosses:

4links:

Necromancer:
4links: increase duration + vaal lightning trap + Bone offering
- you won't need immortal call since the spike on death monsters covers block with life regen

3links:

Unset ring:

Gems you might find usefull in some situations:

Trap CD: BIS if you are not saboteur or ascendant,
Vaal DD combined with cluster mines desecrate -> lot of corpses vaal DD blast radius overlaps so it's perfect for bosses in small parties
Stone golem: lvl20 Golem alone solve all ES regen issues -> you can drop 1% life regen nodes and Blood dance boots for ES/Life/Movement speed rare
Orb of Storms: reliably proc elemental overload in any situation

Jewels
Most important mods in this order: Life, Fire dmg/Trap dmg, Area Dmg, Damage, resists/atributes
Example:

Passive Trees 2.2 & Bandits

My Gear - old

Gear in depth

Head and chest

Two options: high ES rare helm + Cospri's will - more es for MoM
Or Heretic's Veil + Cospri's will - saves gem slots and skill nodes

Weapon

DORYANI CATALYST ==> best in slot

Gloves

Rare ES base - high ES, Life, Resist, strength or dexterity

Boots

The blood dance - great if you want more dmg from Frenzy charges
Rare ES/Life/Movement speed - use stone golem - solves all ES regen issues

Jewelry

If you are not a scion then Mokou's embrace with 10% chance to ignite
otherwise rare with life>ES>resist>attributes

MATH! & Damage calculation

Math calculation bellow is for maximum dmg, you can do vs non resistant boss. You won't to use weakness over enfeeble and you won't always be able to shock with lightning trap. So if you don't shock and you use enfeeble instead of weakness you still do 1,5m burn dps vs BOSS and if on top of all that boss has 50% fire resist you do 900k burn/s

An interesting fact: base dmg of lvl20 DD is only 1/3 of actual base dmg in lvl80 zone
Another thing lvl 21 DD will increase overall dps by only 3% and lvl 4 empower by 10%.

Changelog

4.3. Ascendancy support
14.1. v1.0 - build added

My other build

FNM 3curse/lots of damage
almost same skill tree so when you get bored of DD you can transition to FNM
Last edited by Proximi on May 27, 2016, 5:40:04 AM
Last bumped on Apr 16, 2017, 1:26:03 AM
reserved
I understand "cap" meaning that some max/min value can't be exceeded/undercut. Dealing no damage seems to be a bug, not some cap mechanic imo.
(Yeah, saw you bug report; would be nice if GGG could respond)
"
Bada_Bing wrote:
I understand "cap" meaning that some max/min value can't be exceeded/undercut. Dealing no damage seems to be a bug, not some cap mechanic imo.
(Yeah, saw you bug report; would be nice if GGG could respond)

It is kind of damage cap for my build in the current state. I'm forced to drop dmg multiplier supports in order to do dmg.
gonna try this ty
Last edited by momopt on Jan 15, 2016, 3:42:24 PM
Amazing damage there!

I am just wondering if it feels clunky that you need to throw a desecrate trap every time you proceed to clear another pack? Or the trap throwing animation is so short that you wouldn't worry about it? From what I saw in your wasteland run video it seems you needed to stop to throw the traps and the pause was quite noticeable.

Do you think if there's any way to get around that other than stacking trap throwing speed on jewels?
"
Amazing damage there!

I am just wondering if it feels clunky that you need to throw a desecrate trap every time you proceed to clear another pack? Or the trap throwing animation is so short that you wouldn't worry about it? From what I saw in your wasteland run video it seems you needed to stop to throw the traps and the pause was quite noticeable.

Do you think if there's any way to get around that other than stacking trap throwing speed on jewels?

DD has always been that kind of spell that requires 2 separate casts to do damage. It's the main reason why there are so few DD builds.
I personally don't mind two casts. Sometimes you don't even need double cast cause you kill few monsters from the next pack with one blast (or party member kills something). In the video you can even see that i was throwing desecrate while there already were some corpses. It just take some time to get used to it.

With jewels and throwing speed the problem is that the people who are responsible for jewels screw it up: Trap throwing speed is prefix (cast speed, att. speed, crit, acc all suffixes). And as prefix i found much more important to get life and trap/fire damage. Also there are no really usefull jewel suffixes for trapper.

Here is an example why i like DD: I play a lot in party with friends or in public with random people. And the clearing process always follow these steps:
- we run to pack of monsters they start attacking and i throw desecrate
- they keep attacking, i throw DD
- everything is dead
- step 1^^
Can you please enable your character tab? go to your profile on this website and privacy tab
context
"
Proximi wrote:
"
Amazing damage there!

DD has always been that kind of spell that requires 2 separate casts to do damage. It's the main reason why there are so few DD builds.
I personally don't mind two casts. Sometimes you don't even need double cast cause you kill few monsters from the next pack with one blast (or party member kills something). In the video you can even see that i was throwing desecrate while there already were some corpses. It just take some time to get used to it.

With jewels and throwing speed the problem is that the people who are responsible for jewels screw it up: Trap throwing speed is prefix (cast speed, att. speed, crit, acc all suffixes). And as prefix i found much more important to get life and trap/fire damage. Also there are no really usefull jewel suffixes for trapper.

Here is an example why i like DD: I play a lot in party with friends or in public with random people. And the clearing process always follow these steps:
- we run to pack of monsters they start attacking and i throw desecrate
- they keep attacking, i throw DD
- everything is dead
- step 1^^

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I realized that this is going to be super strong in party plays as the damage scales off the 8% mainly (nor the base damage of DD that comes with level) which means you will always do enough damage in any map with a high level desecrate gem!

I am currently using a +3 fire staff + fire trap and proliferation and it does enough damage solo, but I am sure that I won't be doing enough damage in parties.

Now that I mainly focused on fire/trap damage but barely any spell damage, I can simply run an alternative 5L DD setup + 2 × Doryani's offhand (secondary weapon slots) just for bosses.

But then I will have a problem: will I be doing enough damage without the two offensive curses? I am going CI and have to invest into ES and run discipline, as well as a defensive curse like temp chains or enfeeble. Without the ~80% -res I doubt if it will be as effective.

Could you please try it out without running flammability and ele weakness?

Yes I read that curse immune maps should be avoided because it will slow down clear speed but could you describe a bit how slower it will be? If I am using DD trap then basically I am in your case without curses 100% of the time.

I think an effective way to test it is to run normal atziri twice, once with curses and once without. Would you please try it out and post the results? I can provide the sets.
Last edited by joeshinつ on Jan 18, 2016, 4:09:19 PM
I use curses cause they provide defense and offense at the same time (so curse nodes, kind of triple dipping, burn+initial+defense :-)). The curse nodes are very spread on the tree so i probably don't have as much damage nodes as you do.
So i guess that if you focus your build only on scaling fire/trap damage then you also shouldn't have problem. It's just a way how you made your build. Altho i have no idea how you sustain mana, cause my 6l DD eats 150mana per cast. I mean since you are CI and don't have the luxury of EB.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info