Pohx's Poison Trapper. 1 Shots Bossses 6k+ HP HC/SC/Atziri/Vinktar Map Viable

Would this be a good build for a beginner's first HC char? I just started a shadow and I was planning on following one of the HC bladefall guides listed but this seems interesting as well. I am not exactly sure how the Trap/Bladefall mechanic works though.
Since you're not building crit, would controlled destruction be a worthwhile alternative to void manipulation? (only in Bladefall 6L)
whats stronger now? pohx with physical damage which makes you able to use beartrap or https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1541692/page/1

i mean i like it cause its far more defensive than the other build
Last edited by Topper_Harley on Jan 31, 2016, 3:30:16 AM
Wondering if another gem would be better than voidless manipulation, I know some people were using either controlled destruction or rapid decay. Anyone tested these out? I'm not very familiar with double dipping mechanics and whatnot though.
i would just like to post my atziri experience with the build.

first of all it was my third try ever at apex, and the first with this build.
the first 2 times were with other builds with which i managed to get to atziri, but failed to kill her.
i'm saying that to make clear that i'm not an expert of the fights.

in spite of that with this build i managed to kill her without a single death (using a tabula rasa).
this was (and actually still is) my gear:
"

i was lvl 89 with 5100hp and my gems were 18/19 (bladefall and bear trap 19).
didn't had a vaal lighting trap.

as for how the fights went
vaals: the first one died in place, the second managed to get away, but died soon after he re-emerged

trio: titty one died easily, then i trapped randomly and started to wb for the arena (cause panic) and the second one died too. cycloner was sketchy. missed him several times with the trap so started to wb around again (i like to panic). half of the arena was full of black goo that caused degen (by the way what the fuck was that?), so i potted (first ever health pot in the run actually).
did some laps around the arena while i placed traps in front of him and failed miserably to guide him on top of most of them, but in the end he fell.
the cycloner was by far the dangerous thing for me in the entire istance.

atziri: easy. the only thing i did (for all the phases) was unleash my 4 trap on her feet, drop a wither toetem and then start to whirl around to dodge her shit.
phases were very quick. the worst one was the heal phase cause (again) i panic-trapped everything and got without traps left so i had to wait for the cooldown to refresh.

on a side note: i used controlled destruction instead of void manipulation (tryng to decide which one is better) and a flame golem
Last edited by tufferugli on Feb 3, 2016, 6:22:24 AM
rapid decay does not work with skills that don't have a duration tag such as bladefall, besides even if it worked it's the same multiplier as void manip for DOT and also buffs your initial hit if you're using atziri's promise and the 5% extra added as chaos from the tree

controlled destruction is meh, it only buffs the inital hit, i'm also not a math wiz like pohx but your initial hit amounts for like 20% of your total DPS, so i'd rather buff something that affects the DOT, buffing the DOT is also much better if you're a fan of hit and run tactics which are imo superior for every high tier boss in the game
IGN JustifiedF
"
Justifi3d wrote:
controlled destruction is meh, it only buffs the inital hit, i'm also not a math wiz like pohx but your initial hit amounts for like 20% of your total DPS

your initial hit it's what your dot is based on, so if your scale up that, you also scale up the dot.
after doing some very rapid and very stupidly conducted tests, cd gave me more total damage than vm, so i swapped the two.

to be honest the damage difference isn't that much and probably (when i'll get some time) i will test them again
it depends on how much %increased damage you have for your initial hit and how much you have for your dot

i took pohx tree as an example and well exclude all the chaos damage from the hit because im too lazy(and probably too stupid) to bring that up in an equation

ill also ommit all the increases from gem quality and gear

he has 476% increased damage with poison in total + 120% from poison gem = 596%

he has 373% increased damage with inital hit

trap + trap dmg + conc effect affect both

bladefall does 694 average dmg at lvl 21

that means it does

694 * 4,73 * (1,39+1,39*1,59) ~10k average damage per hit and therefore 1k poison damage

if we were to link controlled destruction to it it would do ~14400 per hit and therefore 1,44k poison damage

1440 * (1+5.96) * (1,39 * 1,39 * 1,59) ~ 30.8k damage per poison stack with controlled destruction

1000 * (1+5.96) * (1,39 * 1,39 * 1,59 * 1,39) ~ 29.7k damage with void manipulation

but lets say as an example you have extra 100% increased damage over time but no more increased spell damage than used in equation

1000 * (1*6.96) * (1,39*1,39*1,59*1,39) ~34k damage

so void manipulation becomes better the more increased damage over time vs inital bladefall damage you have, you'd have to experiment to find the exact breaking point and will vary from person to person depending on tree and gear

if someone notices a flaw in my math please point it out, i studied sociology and history so my math side is not the strongest

i'm also too lazy to bring in "extra damage added as chaos into equation" but you can do it if you so desire, i omitted it because it's irrelevant to people out there who aren't using the atziri flask
IGN JustifiedF
Last edited by Justifi3d on Feb 3, 2016, 8:16:54 AM
Thanks for the explanation on CD! I also managed to finally get a midnight to complete 1 of the like 6 sets I have waiting lol (won't buy them because on sct their not very profitable) anyway. This was probably the easiest I have ever done atziri lol... I have hyrri's plus slink and even the once or twice I would have messed up I ended up spell dodging. Definitely going trapper next season when I switch back to HC. (I quit before awakening and wanted to eAse back in to learn the new fights and stuff)
"
Justifi3d wrote:
it depends on how much %increased damage

it not depend cause multiplier.
Last edited by treshsocket on Feb 3, 2016, 10:44:24 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info