Warframe

I put about 1000 hours into Warframe a couple of years ago. So much about the game is fantastic. My huge, gamebreaking issue is that the grinding, which I don't mind doing, isn't balanced at all. Certain kinds of grinding are insanely efficient, while others are terrible. This makes the game incredibly restrictive if you want to be efficient. Unlike POE, where the difference between farming Cells and farming Dunes isn't that big, in Warframe it can be the difference between gaining either 2-3 levels on your primary weapon or 30 levels on all your gear in one mission. You really want to be efficient in Warframe.

I hated playing in groups due to the mission mechanics. The fact that you can't leave a mission until enough people wanted to leave made the game hellish when you got a shitty squad, which is common if you're not playing with friends. For solo, there was only one mission type that gave somewhat decent XP. That sucked. I keep checking back occasionally to see if they've fixed this problem. They haven't.

I still recommend playing the game. Just keep in mind that its flaws get major when you reach late game. The amount of grinding's not that bad as long as you poach whales for their platinum, though. After that 1000 hours, I had all the weapons, all the frames, a fully unlocked solo dojo with all the gardens and other useless, pretty stuff (which takes fucking ages due to ridiculous building times), and every key mod upgraded to optimal levels (with extras of ones with multiple optimal levels). That was just from playing the game and using a a bad Warframe poe.trade to sell extra parts and mods.
Last edited by Jennik on Nov 1, 2017, 7:16:48 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Fair enough. For casual play with a mate in Japan who works *stupid* hours, giving us a few hours each week, I think this will be fine.

The 'stash tab' equivalent looks like warframe storage slots, and we both get 150 plat for free through a PSplus promotion right now. That's 7 warframe slots apparently, which should be sufficient.

We probably won't reach late game. This has never been a problem. Hell, we finished D3 normal and stopped there after a few months of said weekly sessions. I quite enjoyed that. We're both very thorough, patient players so Borderlands 2 took us a while as well. Looks like there's plenty of reasons to not rush Warframe now.

I'm stunned at how polished it is for a f2p pve game. It really does put PoE to shame in that department.

Well, I dont know how much you care about trading, but making plat is pretty easy. I've made close to 2k already and I only trade off duplicates of mods and sets of stuff I dont want to build. I don't waste time trading parts or anythign like that, or trying to play the market. You end up with a lot of stuff you just dont need extras of, and since nothing is random you just slap it up for lowest price possible and trade it in 5 minutes, and since your trades are limited by your mastery rank, it doesnt take long to burn those up and be done with it.

Again, I dunno how much you care about it, but when you get around to doing vaults for corrupted mods(which you gotta do), you might as well trade off those at least. I got lots of extras of stuff like Fleeting Expertise/Overextended/etc which sold for 20-35 plat apiece and I only needed 1. They have a site just like PoE.Trade, called Warframe.Market.

I personally kept waiting on the 75% coupon and was dead-set on purchasing some Plat but I've somehow amassed around 1.5k just trading off unwanted mods and sets I no longer need. Which is more than enough to do whatever with. All I purchase are slots, catalysts/reactors, and even then I got a bunch of those build up now from missions I dont even need those. I dunno what I'm gonna spend this plat on besides just more slots to hold everything. I don't get into skins or cosmetics. I thought about buying some vaulted primes, but doesn't seem worth it.

It is super-polished. Its also crazy to go back and see vids of when it was first out and look at how far it came. I, too, skipped it forever. A guy at work has played it for a long time and always told me to try it, and I always seen it highly played on Steam but never cared to give it a try. I had some downtime game-wise when I burnt out of Harbinger league, and figured what the hell for free. I'm glad I tried it. It has given me a hell of a lot of fun for the 1.5 months I've played it. Will it last forever? Eh, probably not but I like killing hordes of stuff and I like FPS games. Its what I grew up playing, being an older gamer, so it sort of scratches that itch and gives me loot to get.

I actually don't mind grouping in Warframe. I always hate grouping in PoE or D3. You just spam stuff into the mob ball, you got people one-shotting the screen, you got people rushing and you cant loot or anything. It actually puts me to sleep. But in Warframe, I guess because of the FPS nature of it, you always feel like you are contributing in some fashion in your own neck of the woods. And the maps are big and not so centered on a single screen of it for everyone.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
You whisper the same poisons in my ear as my old friend, who seems dedicated to converting me to the hardcore Warframe cause. For now, we (myself and another friend with only a few hours a week to spare for gaming) are content to just muddle about. He's not even mastery 2 yet so that's the priority, so I can throw some of these mods I found while playing with him his way. Allocated loot can be problematic when your party members are 100% friendly.

We'll see how it goes. The only trouble we've had so far is the mechanics for the 'excavation' mission type was poorly explained in-game, so we found ourselves fending off Grineer many, many times stronger than us. I asked my expert friend wtf went wrong, he explained you have to fully excavate with the first extraction point or the enemies ramp up, and ramp up quickly.

Other than that, it's been pretty intuitive and self-explanatory so far. Certainly more so than PoE.

Oh, you know everyone gets the same loot right? He just has to pick it up off the ground. If thats what you mean, not for sure. Same mods that drop for you drop for him. You can mark them with G if you want but they will show up on the minimap once you get a sentinel with a radar mod, and itll go pick them up ala diablo 2 pets sucking up gold. So get Taxon's built as fast as possible for a QoL feature.

Yea, lol. When I was new my first excavation I didnt know what the hell was going on. I just ran around shooting things. My worst mistake I made as a new player was not understanding extractions. I got into a really long survival where they were in there like 40 minutes. Something crazy. Well, I got tired of doing it and wanted out and couldn't figure out how to get out and no one else was leaving so I just went to Abort mission. All those mods and mats gone. It wouldnt matter nowadays, but early on that hurt pretty bad. Lots of early mods and mats I needed just down the drain. Was pretty demoralizing.

The boss fights can be pretty uninformative. Lots of them are basically immune until some mechanic lets you damage them. Can be pretty annoying early on if you dont google them.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Ah, we were...split up at the time. Neither of us are particularly savvy when it comes to area exploration. We also almost failed a survival mission last night because we were so split up he ran out of oxygen while I waited at the extraction point. It was the sort of shit that would have made strangers life-long enemies, but since we're old friends, I just couldn't stop laughing.

We play on PS4 (the dude never owned a PC, believe it or not) so I'm not sure how to mark things but I'll figure it out.

And yeah, I know there's a Hoover in our future. Just not yet. :)

Oh, you kinda want to stay within 50m of each other so you share XP. Its pretty far; the way you can tell is up beside his name in the party there is a triangle shape thing, like a biohazard sign. If thats there, it means you are within 50m of each other and share XP. If its not, you are too far away from each other. I didn't know that for almost the entire game until I was trying to farm Focus, lol. And even then it was just a random post I read on the net. I had no idea what that symbol was for, but its for XP sharing within 50m.

Yea, I was playing with my buddy and its kinda gotten drab since he had to quit. Same person I play all these games with: PoE/D3/Warframe/WoW/etc. He sells stuff on Amazon and does 90% of his business at Xmas time reselling toys. Its hilarious that he turned his passion for making currency in D2/D3/PoE/WoW into a real life job doing it on Amazon. Just travels all over buying up toys, tools, etc and reselling on Amazon. But yea, he had to quit last week to get started, and I been just going solo and its kinda took some of the fun out of it. Guy at work plays some but we have different goals so its not the same. This is my gaming down-time till after Xmas I guess. Gets boring, lol.
Last edited by Destructodave on Nov 5, 2017, 7:53:18 PM
I did try out Warframe back in the days (around 2013) and I did like some of things in the game, but I just could not stick around with it and that was that.

I do have friends in real life that still do play Warframe occasionally (they played the game throughout the years, so there is plenty of time investments) and try to bring me back, but I just do not have interest coming back to it. I know the game has changed a whole lot since I last played it since I seen my friends play it from time to time.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Did look at this game and must say it looks interesting, may give it try just for change;)
"There is only one true god in PoE and that is Greed... "

I don’t need anger management, I need people to stop pissing me off!
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Up to four frames now. I threw 50 bucks at the game, got a bunch of colours unlocked and had enough leftover to get the other two starting frames. They play significantly differently to Excalibur.

I particularly enjoy the dickery of Mag's abilities. Knockdown, damage and drag is fun, but literally crushing the bones of one's enemies with magnetic force...hahahah yeah.

Well crap I would have told you both of the other frames you can purchase through dojo recipes. But it sounds like you are making your own guild so those are probably far off from research.

If you are looking for fun frames Mesa is universally liked by just about everyone. I play mostly Rhino; I got Valkyr building. I'm kinda taking a break to play the start of the D3 season but I keep logging on to keep my daily rewards ticking up and build formas and stuff.

Do you have Amazon Prime? If you link it to your account you get a free Prime Soma and Prime Frost(Hes cool too). Its because its also linked to Twitch Prime and you get drops in the mail from watching Warframe Streamers, lol. Honestly every frame I've played and built has some cool stuff about them I like, which is pretty neat. Keeps it fresh. I think I have like 8 or 9. I mostly just level them for mastery right now. Inaros is cool too but don't spend money on him; Baro Kateer is coming soon and you can buy the quest to unlock him for 100 ducats. Ducats is basically the game's item sink. You turn in prime parts for ducats to trade to Baro for limited time only items.

Do you know what Reactors and Catalysts are? You eventually build them up because of Dev streams and such but they double the capacity on your frames and weapons. Unfortunately they are 20 plat in the store if you miss the alerts that give them. The good thing about buying frames is they come with a catalyst and a slot, so its really not that bad. Thats 40p less than what the price says, really.
Last edited by Destructodave on Nov 14, 2017, 1:36:19 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Yeah, like I said, an old min-max friend of mine has literally dumped page after page of advice and high-end gearing information in a hangouts chat. I'm aware that pretty much everything can be crafted, but as you noted, our little dojo is...well, it's a room. I am very impressed with the robust architecture system and look forward to really delving into it.

I figure Rhino will be our first built frame, given we're getting much better at running Jackal. That first time was a shocker though. As it turns out, Paris Mk-1 against him is not the best idea in the world.

I did the Prime trick, and am very much impressed with Soma Prime's murderous speed, but it's sort of not fun to use with other friends who are toting starter rifles, so I save Soma Prime for leveling up the other frames. Frost is okay but not really my style.

I am aware of the dev stream/potato game too. :) I actually want two orokin cells to make akvasto right now. Gunslingers are fun.

Rhino is a good all around frame. I guess thats why I like him so much. I've built a few, but I still have the most fun on him. Frost is the best when you start running more excavations. Defense he is good too, but those things have so much life its not really a big deal. Those excavators fall over if a gnat flies by and farts in its direction, so thats the main time I play him.

Ah yea on the soma. I dont have it; I dropped Amazon Prime awhile back so I have a cheap ole Braton Prime to do Rifle Only Sorties with. You guys running fissures yet? You can maybe piece together some starter prime weapons and your buds not feel so out of place with their Mk-1s.

Yea the mat thing kinda sucks early on. I was really struggling to make stuff because they were so many planets away. I read that the planets used to have a different path, so a lot of those mats were easy to obtain early on, like cells and stuff. But then they added and changed the Star Chart and never rebalanced the resource drops. So you got resources you need 4 planets away for what amounts to starter weapons. Kind of annoying. The work-around is getting Taxied to those places to farm them, if you care to do that.
Last edited by Destructodave on Nov 14, 2017, 5:18:44 AM
Oh shit Warframe, huh. Steam tells me that's been running for just over a thousand hours by now, so time for some unsubtle bragging and scattershot thoughts. Been playing on and off from back when they had 'supporter packs'; still rocking that Excalibur Prime every now and then, Arcane helmet 'n everything <3

Historical note: back in the days, you couldn't use a given mod in multiple weapons/frames simultaneously, you either had a Redirection for each Frame or swapped it manually. Just one of those little things that DE changed and that made Warframe exponentially better. Thinking back on what Warframe was back then, man they've come far. What a great game, if you have a couple hundred hours to spare every now and then.

There've been a few new 'frames since we last played - the collection is no longer complete! Maybe I'll make that my december goal... Plus, I'm actually really curious about open-world Warframe. That sounds wild. Always so much to do, so much to farm. 2016 wasn't a great year for games but we made hella progress in Warframe because of that, haha.

"Defense he is good too, but those things have so much life its not really a big deal."
Weeelll that really depends on what you're facing and what level they are :) Corpus can be defended against with a couple different frames (ex. Zephyr is essentially another form of Snow Globe), but hitscan Grineer tear that pod apart no problem and its regen is abysmal. My advice? Find someone who enjoys Snowglobe/Avalanche if you want to play higher-level Defence :p (or keep a Frost leveled and ready, even if not super optimized)

And yeah, Excavators plain (heh) don't exist in the face of bullets. They get one-shot in Sorties, lol.

EDIT about lategame stuff: ah, DE removed the 4 energy/s passive from the Zenurik Focus with PoE, and the new Energy generation would make Chroma so much more tedious. Hrm. Oh well, it was supremely the One Good Choice so it makes sense.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Nov 14, 2017, 6:57:10 AM
At least that makes two of us then.

The not being liked part that is, not the Excal Prime.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info