[2.1 Video Guide] Dual Elemental Siege Ballista Build 2x 40k+ DPS [HC/SC & Atziri Viable]

"
Orcusorc wrote:
Would taking Kraityn in merciless for 8% attack speed be a bad idea? And if I'm playing on talisman-standard, could I get away with taking some points off life nodes and maybe spreading them to the ranger start nodes for increased attack speed and projectile damage? Something like this

Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAOygIZ_KXA5aTOptdbj29J6iaYEO-gBg8GFZ7w4MJ-ehvnkGHykrxs7c-X7BLV4PM_gqbtcDjPC3YvcM6hMXGroNfNZIZiiSLEMzE9pcG-wkPq_6HcqnEovbaFr97IPcyrKqVyLvj35gajyaV-JN82VnzJyH-umJaYeIaOHIP_gl9dVVLkFWUb3GFZp4B0dN-jDYnL2ZUVyn60ljlAF5URzrYRtcXLxZvwxMqExmOpr4yiWTnJKrjalor7YOexHflVdY26aPyCC5d8lfigKTtILaGgpvhc5Z0ogDwHwSz8kU64aZX

Edit: Also, is it definitive that Rain Of Splinters > GMP/LMP? Being reduced damage and not less seems like it would help DPS a lot, and it seems like the gem slot you would gain would outweigh the loss of a jewel.

Edit2: Also what about taking the 4 life nodes from scion start instead of the mana nodes, and the sanctity notable, then using the additional regeneration to run blood rage? Would that be stupid?

1. The kraityn 8% can be replaced by a jewel socket that can grant you up to 12% + various other stats.

2. Rain of splinters by itself is not better than GMP, however Rain of Spliters + LMP is in most cases superior for damage.

3. Blood Rage does not work when using totems unfortunately :)
Weekly build guides: Youtube.com/LiftingNerdBro
Daily live streams: Twitch.tv/LiftingNerdBro
Friendly PoE community: Discord.gg/Lifting
Ok, thanks for the response LiftingNerdBro. I'll stick to the build instead of adding my ridiculous ideas.
Here are some thoughts I have regarding your 4 link for bosses only. In your build, you use a 4 link siege ballista for boss fights. This 4 link consists of..

Siege Ballista - Faster attacks - weapon elemental damage - Slower projectiles.

If I were to use this 4 link for bosses, it only does a little bit more damage than my 6 link, even with GMP. It is such a small damage increase compared to my 6 link, that I don't even bother using it.

Now, your guide recommends to use mainly a 5 link consisting of

Curse on hit - Frenzy - GMP - Chain - elemental weakness. (and blink arrow if you get a 6 socket)

While this is very nice for cursing everything while farming, I'd say its more of a luxury and that the 5 link or 6 link could be used for something so much better!

I'm running Curse on hit - Frenzy - GMP - and Elemental Weakness in a 4 link. Sure, I don't have chain but it goes the job done.

Since I'm using a 6 link chest, this gives me the option of a 5 or 6 link bow!! Just think, for bosses I could have something like

Siege ballista, Faster attacks, weapon elemental damage, Slower projectiles and Added Lightning damage.

This makes my damage for bosses so, so much higher compared to the 4 link. And if I were to get a 6 link it would just be amazing.

What do you think LiftingNerdBro?
Last edited by DiabloBlew on Jan 19, 2016, 5:20:48 AM
Thanks for taking the time to share this build and answer questions!

I've played this build to level 66 in THC and have some feedback:
- This seems more like an exercise in making SB viable than it is saying it is a strong skill. At 66 and with frenzy charges, night's hold flame totem can be 2x more damage than 4 socketed siege ballista. I'm looking for a new bow but it really takes a lot of gear and support gems to make SB viable.
- The tree is short on dexterity for being a bow build. Higher level bows can be close to 210 dex and this build only has 160 dex in the tree (though you do recommend a 180 dex thicket)

Overall, leveling was easy but the transition to mapping is going to take a good bit of gear shopping. Flame totem is still better IMO. Where with other builds I've been able to play self found but this build requires a lot of specifics that aren't easily found (WED, elemental bow, elemental/attack speed gloves, etc).

Maybe I need to shift my perspective so I've posted here :-)
Last edited by MegaGrubby on Jan 19, 2016, 5:58:56 PM
"
MegaGrubby wrote:

- This seems more like an exercise in making SB viable than it is saying it is a strong skill. At 66 and with frenzy charges, night's hold flame totem can be 3x more damage than 4 socketed siege ballista. I'm looking for a new bow but it really takes a lot of gear and support gems to make SB viable.
- The tree is short on dexterity for being a bow build. Higher level bows can be close to 210 dex and this build only has 160 dex in the tree (though you do recommend a 180 dex thicket)

Overall, leveling was easy but the transition to mapping is going to take a good bit of gear shopping. Flame totem is still better IMO. Where with other builds I've been able to play self found but this build requires a lot of specifics that aren't easily found (WED, elemental bow, elemental/attack speed gloves, etc).

I'm level 87 doing this build. A few things to answer your questions

The build won't really shine at level 66, especially with only a 4 link siege ballista. 5 Link cant definitely do maps, but its much smoother with a 6 link using that added lightning damage.

As for being short on dexterity and Intelligence.. his guide video DOES NOT say to get the +30 int and +30 dex nodes, but on his character sheet he gets them. I had to get the +30 int node as of now just for my curses but I'm seriously considering lowering the level of ele weakness and curse on hit just to free up a point in my tree.

You need a lot of knowledge on what a good ele dmg bow is in order for this build to work. they are hard to come by
"
DiabloBlew wrote:
"
MegaGrubby wrote:

- This seems more like an exercise in making SB viable than it is saying it is a strong skill. At 66 and with frenzy charges, night's hold flame totem can be 3x more damage than 4 socketed siege ballista. I'm looking for a new bow but it really takes a lot of gear and support gems to make SB viable.

I'm level 87 doing this build. A few things to answer your questions

The build won't really shine at level 66, especially with only a 4 link siege ballista. 5 Link cant definitely do maps, but its much smoother with a 6 link using that added lightning damage.

As for being short on dexterity and Intelligence.. his guide video DOES NOT say to get the +30 int and +30 dex nodes, but on his character sheet he gets them. I had to get the +30 int node as of now just for my curses but I'm seriously considering lowering the level of ele weakness and curse on hit just to free up a point in my tree.

You need a lot of knowledge on what a good ele dmg bow is in order for this build to work. they are hard to come by

A 6-link should in no way be necessary for 66+ content. I am currently using a 5-link in tier 10 maps and kill stuff easily =)

It is however as you say all about knowing about how to get a good elemental bow.
Good evening. I think i'll give this build a try, because its like a Blink/Mirror Summoner with Totems, which i play at the moment. And i like this playstyle. I was lucky and found a Drillneck and some other nice stuff i can use for it.

I have one question, i found this bow. Is it worth it to put some currency on it (5 link, attack speed ...) I never played a elemental based build...

Well...you are both agreeing with me while seeming to say I'm not on point.

First off, low dexterity high elemental dps bows are about 1/10th (or less) of available bows. So you are limited in gear.

I bought a 230 elemental dps bow for 5c and my damage got to within about 100 dps of the night's hold flame totem. Then I leveled and the gap widened to about 300 dps. So the build scales better with flame totem than siege ballista.

To further compare, I bought a decent spell/fire damage staff for 2 chance orbs. I created a 4 link with flame totem, controlled destruction, faster casting and fire penetration. The gems supporting flame totem are level 1 and the siege ballista gems are levels 62-65. Tooltip dps is 2700 for flame totem versus 1600 dps for 4 socketed siege ballista.

So...once again...supported by facts...this build is more about making siege ballista viable than it is about showing it as a strong skill.
Last edited by MegaGrubby on Jan 20, 2016, 4:00:52 PM
Ballista is viable just not on elemental. For ele dmg you need high spd to scale it and Ballista has 50% less speed so it's a fail from the start. Second - ele attack builds usually dont have build in penetration because they are using all 3 elements so slotting just one pen is not effective. That means without using curse your dmg can be mitigated by 75% by enemy resistances
"
MegaGrubby wrote:
Well...you are both agreeing with me while seeming to say I'm not on point.

First off, low dexterity high elemental dps bows are about 1/10th (or less) of available bows. So you are limited in gear.

I bought a 230 elemental dps bow for 5c and my damage got to within about 100 dps of the night's hold flame totem. Then I leveled and the gap widened to about 300 dps. So the build scales better with flame totem than siege ballista.

To further compare, I bought a decent spell/fire damage staff for 2 chance orbs. I created a 4 link with flame totem, controlled destruction, faster casting and fire penetration. The gems supporting flame totem are level 1 and the siege ballista gems are levels 62-65. Tooltip dps is 2700 for flame totem versus 1600 dps for 4 socketed siege ballista.

So...once again...supported by facts...this build is more about making siege ballista viable than it is about showing it as a strong skill.

No offence mate, but you are comparing tool tip DPS numbers with two VERY different skills. I don't know how new you are to the game, but this is not how things work in Path of Exile. A skill with low tool-tip dps can easily outperform a mechanically weaker skill with a higher dps number.

There is also plenty of skillnodes in the skill-tree that would be inefficient choices for flame totem (I should know, as I have played that build a ton).

I am not sure what to tell you, but your "facts" are wrong.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info