Better than Diablo 3

I have bought Diablo 3. I have multiple characters. Yes the animations in Diablo 3 are better, but the skill set in D3 is so basic, only having what 16 moves altogether, can't remember haven't played it 3 weeks after its release, a story that's meh. They changed so many things that people liked from D2, and as a matter of fact most people would rather play D2 than D3, because there was a lot more to character development in skills and story. In D3 all you really do is make a build that will make you unbeatable, without even using strat. Such as Witch doctors bears in the beginning, and now the Summon Dogs skill set. The pvp in D3 is basically if i don't one shot you, your the one getting one shot. In all reality when the xpac does come out, i won't buy it, because after playing D3, it just put me off from dungeon crawlers, until PoE came out. Yes, this game does have a few problems, but in the end i had more fun playing this game, than i did with diablo 3. Every game has it's good points and bad points, but if the game is just there to make you sigh in boredom, and repeat the same acts 3 times over, they need to re-evaluate their way of making games and not ignore what the fan base wants. I'm not bashing D3 because i hate Blizzard. I love blizzard for creating great games, but there comes a time, when the gaming companies choose to satisfy their bosses, than to actually take the time to read what the people want from their game.
What it boils down to is D3 is a triumph in terms of the actual combat engine. It is the tightest fastest most visceral feeling combat engine I have ever plated in any isometric RPG. It chose to go with a minimal streamlined freespec character system and implemented it well. They took a risk with visual style and made it work great from a design pov if not an aesthetic one. The downside is they focused so much on technical polish, stramlining and presentation they forgot to make a game. What you have is a pretty good user interface for tackling stupid challenges and really boring content for no real reward at all.

POE combat is very old school and does not "feel" good until you get your build going and unleash some better attacks and skills. Even then it is not the experience D3 is. The mini map is a mess and it lacks certain visual Polish like monsters you target don't get that subtle halo you see in D3. The overall style aesthetic is consistent and good though. Its graphics are highly effective in conveying that you are in a rotten reeking miserable wasteland of an island filled with haggard wind worn people shoddy shanties ancient ruins and disgusting monsters. Its character mechanics stress possibilities uniqueness and tough decisions. The reward system is much better and the game does a lot more to create immersion with relatively little. You grow to hate Piety very much. I believe this developer was mostly worried about making the game fun than technically sound.

Both have downsides. I choose the second however.
Last edited by LunacyPolish on Feb 27, 2013, 10:57:01 AM
D2 is my fav game of all time. Played it, even 10 years after its release.

PoE is like D2, but I even have to say. Better! :O

It takes what is good in D2, and just adds so much more depth, variety and gameplay mechanics, it is a bit overwhelming in the beginning, but once you get into it, well it deosnt seem there is no coming back. It surely is the REAL succesor to D2 in my oppinion, building upon a great legacy, and being even greater!

D3. Well... All characters are the same, everyone uses the same. Very little of build diversity, and end game is a joke. :( . Dont get me wrong, I like D3. BUT its just good, nowhere near great!
What!

A Diablo 3 thread!

Can't wait to feel obliged to drop 50 or 60 bucks on the expansion the day it comes out only to feel self loathing, disappointment, and buyers regret 45 minutes later when I log into PoE.

Until that day, I'll just play PoE
The Russell Wilson Era
"
MGTopgun wrote:
"
neortic wrote:
My greetings to the whole Grinding Gear Team,

I've been Playing PoE since open beta started. This is by far the best RPG of our days. Great ideas, novelties, strategy depth. We will support you continuously to enhance this Great Game.

Let Blizzard fall the mountain. You are at the top now !

Keep up surprising and entertaining us.

GGG is not even close to be to the top lol. The idea of the game is pretty good but the budget just makes it crap. Yea it is beta and probably they will fix everything but as long as the character doesn't move like in D3 or has the potential, customers, and people playing it like D3, this game is far from being good at all.

Since new generation games are the most played right now, and this looks like it had to be released 5 years ago, but still, i can't imagine how someone will beat Blizzard.

PS: You know why there is no new MMO by blizzard (like ''titan'')? Because nobody puts on the market a new game having alrdy an MMO and winning money from that game(means WoW is far from dying), compete in the market of gaming is what matters, i see a bright future for Blizzard.
Wonder HOW GGG is gonna compete. I rather understand their game like a... how's the word like ''let's try to create a game''.
PoE is amazing, far for being good, hopefully on release it changes (really doubt, see the mechanics of the game and movement, poor poor poor, i don't see how they will make the character move like it suppose to be, and desync as well.)

So yea. That's my opinion.

So basically what you are saying is diablo 3 is produced for the masses with flashy graphics and dumbed down easy gameplay (mainstream) so " the family " can play together whilst poe is more designed for gamers that know graphics do not make a game, core gameplay does.

its been beat to death, 1 more wont hurt.
D3 = mcdonalds
Poe = rib fillet steak topped with garlic prawns and mushrooms.

Everyone can see the street blizzard is taking, easy street.
They butchered wow after BC, they did the same to d3. I personally dont have very high hopes for titan, if its another EASYLAND:MY FIRST MMO type of game, then they can kiss my money goodbye forever.

They burned me on d3, i WONT be buying the xpack ,because lets face it, are they going to add a skill tree or any customisation? NO

They have 1 more chance to make it right with their new mmo. Thye either want to keep their casuals or ween some of their more dedicated player base back. I think i know which path they will take....

SAD really, ive been with them since starcraft and warcraft 1
I agree in many ways POE is better.
Better itemization, choosing a different item is meaningful
Better character build system, allows for more permutations. In Diablo III, a demon hunter is a demon hunter, in POE, one ranger build could play radically different from another.
More interesting art style and world/lore. I know this is subjective, but Diablo III doesn't feel like Diablo. Instead it feels like a Saturday morning cartoon version of what Diablo was.
More interesting skills, more interesting concepts (discharge, CI, etc).
Better events, better devs, etc. I could go on.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info