Controlled Destruction

Heralds of thunder does not deal spell damage. Though the applying of the buff is done through casting a spell, herald of thunder does secondary damage.
"
biyte wrote:
Heralds of thunder does not deal spell damage. Though the applying of the buff is done through casting a spell, herald of thunder does secondary damage.

What's secondary damage?

Does it have crit chance?
Secondary Damage is "not attack damage, spell damage, or damage over time".
Just like Attacks/Spells, it deals damage in Hits.
Just like Attacks/Spells, there is no clear-cut definition of "can Crit" or "can not Crit". Herald of Thunder does not have a base Crit Chance (but you can give it Crit), but for example Infernal Blow's explosion does (also secondary Damage).
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jan 10, 2018, 5:54:01 AM
Thanks.

ALSO. I noticed today that CD is modifying the damage. Now that I have put a few levels into Controlled Destruction, Herald of Thunder, and my character, it does modify Herald of Thunder's damage. The damage increase isn't marginal, from 10 - 470 ... up to 13 - 630. Now understand why Herald of Thunder doesn't crit. My friend told me that so I put C D on it but didn't see any damage increase. Maybe I just had a tool tip error yesterday. Not sure.
Care to revisit this support gem before holiday please?
keynote texts say:Support and Spell
But green text says it can also support attack skills that deal damage.
This is working as I can link the support to my attacks, so the skill gem support currently affects both attacks and spells.

Now, on the SPELL SIDE, it's worth using in some builds, but ATTACKS do not get a gain in MORE/INCREASED(via quality) damage at all. Only a loss in crit chance. Could the attack side receive similar gains as well or just have the gem support be legitimately for spells only?
With the changes to Elemental Overload, the Controlled Destruction change in 3.15 with 80% less critical strike chance is effectively unusable in conjunction, as you'd need an absurdly high cast rate (without Spell Echo, too, as it only rolls crits once) to get it to activate without having so much crit chance you may as well actually be using critical strikes - even Ungil's Harmony makes it barely feasible.

I'd like to suggest a modification that helps with this:

"
Supported Skills deal (25-44)% more Spell Damage
Supported Skills cannot deal Critical Strikes if they've dealt a Critical Strike Recently

This approach improves the odds that you'll crit at all, but continues to make the support effectively unusable in builds intending to deal frequent critical strikes.
Since you guys are working on improving self-cast I really think it would be a good time to look into improving usability of controlled destruction for non-crit self cast builds that aren't dots.

I don't understand the design of this support gem. Is it meant to be a dot-only support gem? or maybe for builds that can't path to Elemental Overload? or chaos builds only?

Maybe I'm missing something but if you can grab EO then there seems to be never a reason to use this support gem. There are so many good support gems out there even and it's surprising to me that a non-crit build would not use this support gem but a dot build would. It should be the other way around completely, dot builds don't crit anyway so it should be invalid to use with the dot tag as the downside of the support gem makes no sense, and it should synergize better with builds that use EO. Currently even if you have a great amount of crit for a non-crit build, for example getting Conviction of Power for 160% crit chance and the lightning mastery for 80% crit on shocked target, you would still not use this gem alongside EO. And even if you had 0 crit scaling, you would still not use this gem over EO.

On top of this self-cast builds are hurt even more as using supports like Spell echo and/or Greater Spell Echo would reduce the amount of crits you get because of how repeats work. having 4% crit chance with 240% increased crit and combined with these repeats makes it

So it seems like this is only good for builds that do no elemental damage, or dot spells that don't hit.

Why would a non-crit support not synergize with non-crit builds?

Edit: This is even worse for self-casters as triggering EO with low crit chance is harder with spell echo and/or greater spell echo. On a 6% crit chance spell with 240% increased crit chance and controlled destruction you have 4% crit chance... and the difference between this and other support gems are too small to take it over EO.
Last edited by Ardziv on Feb 1, 2022, 10:37:55 PM
My suggestion to make this support work properly with non-critical build is to cap the critical chance or make critical damage do dot deal extra damage, like:

1º New: Your critical strike damage do not deal extra damage
before: Supported Skills have 80% less Critical Strike Chance)

Or

2º New: Your critical strike chance is capped at 15%
before: Supported Skills have 80% less Critical Strike Chance

This is the only way to give sinergy with non-critical builds as Elemental Overlord.

And this is the main problem, doesnt make sense to have 2 mechanic that work with non-critical builds that nullify each other.

We are forced to choose one of them, but never both. Its really sad that they nerfed so hard this support in the patch 3.15 and now its almost useless or a waste of socket slot that could be occupying with another support that allow to interact with EO.
Last edited by frigo1 on May 17, 2022, 11:00:16 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info