Controlled Destruction

Post your feedback for this support here.

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a support.
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Last bumped on May 17, 2022, 10:58:06 AM
I feel like this gem misses the mark a bit. It seems like the intent was for non-crit spell builds to get a gem that benefits not being crit. The problem is, even with the downside of this gem, it's still easy to get very high crit with decent gear and power charges, so this gem fails in its purpose a bit.

Maybe consider upping the spell damage bonus a bit, and making supported spells unable to crit. The added damage does seem a little bit low to justify not going crit right now, in my opinion.

Otherwise, solid gem. More spell damage, can't complain about that.
I've been using it with my flame totems, and the damage boost is huge, the gem says "more" instead of "increased", wich multiplies the total damage by a raw 44% at level 20.
Venezolano o latino, únete: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pathofexilelatino/
Something is indeed inherently wrong with this gem. It should say supported skills never deal critical strikes or 50/60% less critical strike chance. Think about it arbitrarily. Drop from 65% crit chance to 60% and gain 40% more damage...Not very balanced for crit builds. Thats like Marlene's fallacy unique having 60% reduced crit chance and gaining 150 crit multi. yea broken.
Currently leveling a RF variant with SB and Flame Totems. This support doesnt seem to work with SB which is a shame because I was really looking forward to that more multiplier on my laser beams! Hope it works with RF or my whole build idea will need a rework.
A Skill needs to suffer from the downside in order to benefit from the bonus. That's why Rapid Decay doesn't work with Righteous Fire unless you link Spell Totem.
Great boost to casters, terrible downside (that is, almost none at all). Needs a Multiplicative reduction in Crit, or at least one that gets a LOT higher with levels (think Slower Projectiles).
[3.22] 💀The Grim Reaper💀 - Hexblast Poison Mines Assassin
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3347191

[3.22] ❄️⚡CantripN's Hadoken! - Lightning Conduit / Crackling Lance / Arc Permafreeze⚡❄️
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3229590
I love the idea behind this gem as im really tired of any spell based build to be crit mandatory however i think its just not enough if thats its purpose to make non crit based builds viable again.

Please consider making the downside with 'less' instead of 'reduced' and making the bonus spell damage lot bigger, not sure how much would be enough? maybe double.
In its current form non crit builds are still really underpar and its only a nice damage boost with some downside for already existing crit builds.

Edit: I completely understand the 'high risk, high reward' approach and dont expect non-crit builds to match crit builds on damage while having higher survivability, that wouldnt be balanced.
However if a crit spell build now for example can reach something like 150-200k dps with great gear while rolling 4-5k hp and lightning coil so good but no great defense, a non crit build should, in my eyes at least, to be able to go at least 100k dps with a pledge of hands 6L and having higher defenses. Currently non crit builds go like what 40-50k max dps, hence not really viable compared to crit. Would be nice to open up viability on a whole range of spell builds and i believe this support gem alone has the potential to do that if changed accordingly
IGN: Wolfshen
Last edited by Sherkkan on Jan 7, 2016, 2:05:46 AM
Rumors are that Controlled Destruction is actually mathematically better than Critical Multiplier for crit builds.
If true, it needs a harsher penalty.
"If they actually showed gameplay with it zoomed out and then zoomed it in for the real one I think there would be actual riots in the street. I think that people would burn the building down."
Great support gem. Straight damage bonus for any low crit build, 'damage equalizer' for mediocre crit builds and still good for minority 'full dps' capped crit builds.
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info