Standard is a trash!

I play temp leagues because it is much easier for me to acquire items than in standard.

My classic example. Back in Torment League before 4x0=0 Soul Takers sould for 7 exalt in standard. They sold for 3 exalt in Torment. Elron gives 20 Jews a day. In at most three days you get 20 fuse. On doing dalies alone I farmmed a Soul Taker in three weeks playing 10-20 min a day. It would have taken twice that long in standard.

Decent jewelry is cheaper in temp league, weapons are cheaper in temp league, linked items are cheaper in temp league....

...Do you how much time and money you have wasted not playing temp leagues?
"ran out of high teir maps to leave on the ground - people kept taking the higher teirs" - Da Pagionator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31clJn_oNQ
WHen will people finally realize that the 4x Unique buff introduced the decay of Standard? You can't compare the player trend from the last two years with what is going to follow in the future after this detrimental patch which has destroyed the whole economy in Standard. I really don't know whether it's the blatant fanboyism or people are really that blind. Anyway, if there isn't going to be any change, this game will slowly lose the majority of Standard players, which is a pretty big part of the player base.
Pick an opinion. Any opinion at all... doesn't matter. Open a public forum related to that issue. SOMEONE will post that opinion eventually, and everyone else will jump on the chance to pick on him.

Let this one go. The kid isn't even out of grade school yet.
"
eXecut1on wrote:
WHen will people finally realize that the 4x Unique buff introduced the decay of Standard? You can't compare the player trend from the last two years with what is going to follow in the future after this detrimental patch which has destroyed the whole economy in Standard. I really don't know whether it's the blatant fanboyism or people are really that blind. Anyway, if there isn't going to be any change, this game will slowly lose the majority of Standard players, which is a pretty big part of the player base.

Yeah I realized it too. My friend who started POE about a year ago in standard has pretty much all good uniques, especially he found or bought them cheap after the 4x unique buff. He is getting bored of this game unfortunately.

The 4x buff was excellent for temp leagues, but I think it was too much for standard.

GGG should have balanced game and economy for permanent leagues and temp leagues separately.
"
eXecut1on wrote:

Somebody gets it at least. The problem for me is that I actually have a life outside of this game, play legitimately (don't rely on rmt), and don't have a party to carry me through end game maps, therefore I play in Standard league where I have managed to acquire enough "wealth" to be able to afford to play some end game characters. I focus on making progress over the long term, which is really what Standard league should be for, but the economy is complete and utter trash now (legacies, mirrored items that have skyrocketed in price due to the eternal orb change, the change to unique drop rates making all future drops next to worthless, etc etc etc). It baffles me to no end that people don't understand this and only rant on about how easy it is to acquire wealth in temporary leagues...so what do these same people do with this "wealth" once it transfers over to Standard league? Vendor it all and start "fresh" because it's the "cool and edgy" thing to do?
Still in the alpha stage, but at least build diversity isn't an issue: https://wolcengame.com/home/
"
Pokopensuke wrote:
GGG should have balanced game and economy for permanent leagues and temp leagues separately.

Exactly.

It wouldn't have stopped the whole issue but at least it would've been a slow downfall so GGG would've had time to add new uniques, new end game content, higher tier maps, ilvls, roll tiers etc. before they lost a decent amount of Std players. That feeling of success, that kept people motivated to play, when a 10-30ex unique dropped is completely nonexistent now because there are none...
At this point the only solution is to add new stuff that has some value and doesn't drop that often. Anyway, it's important not to handle it like WoW or Diablo where the previous items just become completely useless. That's not a solution. It may work for Blizzard but that's only because they are Blizzard. This means adding higher level content while leaving the old content as it is without increasing the difficulty (which would make old builds just useless, like in Diablo. That's the reason I switched to PoE btw). It's really not that big of a disaster. The fact that GGG does nothing to fix this is the problem.

"
JNF wrote:
I focus on making progress over the long term, which is really what Standard league should be for, but the economy is complete and utter trash now (legacies, mirrored items that have skyrocketed in price due to the eternal orb change, the change to unique drop rates making all future drops next to worthless, etc etc etc). It baffles me to no end that people don't understand this and only rant on about how easy it is to acquire wealth in temporary leagues...so what do these same people do with this "wealth" once it transfers over to Standard league? Vendor it all and start "fresh" because it's the "cool and edgy" thing to do?

I've been saying all this for a while now but I either get ignored or shit on by kids who have no idea what this whole situation means for the future of a trading oriented game. I'm glad there are other people who understand the situation.

I enjoy playing both Standard and temp leagues but Std will always be my main league because I like making long term progress. Adding new content (as I wrote above) but leaving the old as it is would make progressing in temp leagues not that hard as it was before the 4x patch but would also leave room for expensive end game items and builds. In my vision, having those expensive builds would mean being able to clear maps that are only a few levels above the old ones that can be cleared with not so expensive meta builds so the difference is not so big that you could say old items became useless. They would somehow be the cherry on the cake.

My point is: you need to give Std players a goal, something to play for. Before the 4x patch, I was an active player. When the patch hit, I farmed like mad for a couple of days and stopped as soon as prices hit rock bottom. Since then all I do is idle in town and check for trade messages. I have absolutely no incentive to play any more.
Last edited by eXecut1on on Nov 30, 2015, 10:49:01 PM
only way to fix standard is to have the shop system implemented ingame not just for cosmetic effects by ggg. call it auction house or shop or what ever the heck you want to call it. Having this on the dumpster league will give a chance to all those average temp league players to make something of a progression on standard once the league ends. It will re-distribute wealth and let the average player get some currency in the trash / dumpster economy i.e the standard through ingame means rather than RMT. said currency will help the average player make some meaningful progression with their characters.

The only real people doing the trades are currency flippers/scammers RMT trading people/ organizations to mint their exalts.

Any average player with half a brain will agree on how horrendous and shitty the economy on the dumpster league is.
Domine Non Es Dignus
Well, this matter of the drop rates I actually understand. As a "casual" who doesn't play a lot I personally appreciate the drop rates. Of course, I'm just working on my first character to really push for end game after rerolling about a hundred times, and the novelty may wear off too quickly if I get what I want - I get it.

Having been a "hardcore" player for a lot of years (as in gaming was my life, 25,000 hours to DAoC!) - I do get it.

I wonder who GGG is catering to? Is one group more profitable than the other? Is it possible to strike a balance to satisfy both since their interests might be in complete conflict? I imagine, well no, I saw the numerous complaints, that the change was made to satisfy what they believed was best for the majority of players - perhaps they went too far though?

I guess you might call this the conflict of the traders and the self-found more so than hardcore/casual. I've come to appreciate the system of trading as it is and would rather lament its passing, but perhaps a more user friendly in-game one should be implemented a long with reduced rarity?

Eh... food for thought, not something I'm passionate about one way or another, gonna get back to finishing that first build. :)

"
I'm not sure if you actually identified a problem with the standard league - what exactly is your gripe? The only thing I can really identify is, you want them to force others to play Standard - that doesn't really seem right at all.

"To developers, why is there no break between leagues? What is your purpose? What does standard mean to you? Should not be new leagues shorter and with breaks?"

After feeling compelled to participate in temp leagues and making very little progress I decided to start playing Standard for much the same reasons as yourself. It has been a very good experience. There have been plenty of people playing, and I don't mind trading off whatever wackiness is happening in the temp league for the stability of actually making some consistent progress on my characters with the little bit of time I have.

I expect that once I get my feet wet with a fully developed end-game character I'll probably want to move between league and standard on a whim.

I think you are missing the point. Standard is a trash because it is treated like trash. Why does everything get dumped into standard if it is important? It doesn't make sense that items you earn in another league can be move to another league. Let's dump everything from standard to hardcore. Do that make sense? It is OK because hey it is standard. You earn items in another Temp league that you get to keep in standard. It is OK because it is standard. Other league get cool races, ladders, events and stuff, standard just don't. It is OK because it is standard. GGG don't care much about standard. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
"
deathflower wrote:
"
I'm not sure if you actually identified a problem with the standard league - what exactly is your gripe? The only thing I can really identify is, you want them to force others to play Standard - that doesn't really seem right at all.

"To developers, why is there no break between leagues? What is your purpose? What does standard mean to you? Should not be new leagues shorter and with breaks?"

After feeling compelled to participate in temp leagues and making very little progress I decided to start playing Standard for much the same reasons as yourself. It has been a very good experience. There have been plenty of people playing, and I don't mind trading off whatever wackiness is happening in the temp league for the stability of actually making some consistent progress on my characters with the little bit of time I have.

I expect that once I get my feet wet with a fully developed end-game character I'll probably want to move between league and standard on a whim.

I think you are missing the point. Standard is a trash because it is treated like trash. Why does everything get dumped into standard if it is important? It doesn't make sense that items you earn in another league can be move to another league. Let's dump everything from standard to hardcore. Do that make sense? It is OK because hey it is standard. You earn items in another Temp league that you get to keep in standard. It is OK because it is standard. Other league get cool races, ladders, events and stuff, standard just don't. It is OK because it is standard. GGG don't care much about standard. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

Okay, one more for the road (I seem to read forums more than play :P). I think you're putting way too much emotion in to this. Not that you shouldn't be passionate, but rationally. I don't think you're being treated like trash because characters go to Standard - so I definitely don't get that point, but I hear what you're saying.

The temp league is in part a beta test for features with the intent to be added to standard, for the benefit of the standard playing experience. If this often unpopular testing phase was foisted upon the established players I think you may have a lot of unhappy campers.

I hear that you want events and a ranking system. I would counter that you can get that in the temp league and that it is problematic in an established league because in part the "fresh start" is really a necessary prerequisite for any sense of competition. The races are always available to all. And the upcoming Labyrinth available in all leagues will have daily ladders.

That said, maybe there is something more that can be done for the Standard league experience beyond that which is implemented following each temp league - what did you have in mind?

Last edited by Shaihalud222 on Dec 1, 2015, 12:07:52 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info