Standard is a trash!

I am sure this have been told many times so far, but I'd like to express my opinion.

I have played this game since closed beta with some breaks. I don't know why but after a time I say "this is the end.", I find myself downloading this game again and begin playing.

I think it is madness to level up characters from zero over and over again! It is extremely boring. I don't understand people doing this with beginning of every league, some of them just wait for new leagues, they do not care about standard league.

If you will not care about standard, that is what you did on previous league, why do you play? What are you planning to gain? What is your purpose?

To developers, why is there no break between leagues? What is your purpose? What does standard mean to you? Should not be new leagues shorter and with breaks?

We will always play new leagues, you will present us higher drops and new contents and then so what? Until what and where this will go on? Aren't you ruin the game slowly?

I love this game and grieve about progression. Please think of something that save the game!
Different stokes.

Some of us enjoy the fresh economy and the challenge of leveling new characters at the start of a Temp League, combined with the extra challenge (and sometimes potential reward) of the mods that are added in - it makes for an almost unique experience each time a league is created.

Some people like the stability and permanence of the perm leagues. The option to invest heavily into one or more characters without concern of "short" durations, and the relative stability of the economy plus the huge availability of a massive array of different gear types (including legacy items) means that min/maxing is a lot more achievable.

Others like to combine the best of both worlds. Level and farm for gear and currency in new leagues, then use that to finish or min/max a build at the merger of the leagues.

GGG has not shown a lot of desire to balance the game around the standard experience, because the players have traditionally done this by themselves by controlling and shifting the economy to reflect new metas and changes. They add in elements from the Temp leagues that may be fun and interesting additions, or provide extra challenge, but use the feedback from the temp leagues to adjust and balance it before adding it in.

It is a kind of elegant way of trying to cater to both markets. It is not always going to be perfect, though.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Nov 30, 2015, 6:36:51 PM
"
I think it is madness to level up characters from zero over and over again! It is extremely boring. I don't understand people doing this with beginning of every league, some of them just wait for new leagues, they do not care about standard league.

If you will not care about standard, that is what you did on previous league, why do you play? What are you planning to gain? What is your purpose?

Let me present a counterpoint to this. I'm not saying my opinion is any more valid than yours, or that everyone playing the temp leagues feels the same as I do. Just giving you an idea of one possible reason.

For me, Standard is boring and pointless (except to test stuff), because there is no progression. Levelling characters is trivial because I have an infinite supply of twinking uniques. Respeccing existing characters feels hollow because I haven't stuck with the build and grown it from scratch. Farming holds no satisfaction because I have nothing to buy that doesn't cost triple-digit exalts. Mapping is empty too because I already have a supply of high level maps to pick from rather than having to work my way up the tiers and fight for them.

In a fresh league, all this is different. I get to play a new build from scratch. Levelling is actually fun and vaguely challenging to optimise. I start my character from absolutely nothing and build it up to a killing machine. When a valuable item drops, my feeling is not "Oh boy, maybe with another couple of hundred of those I can afford the mirror service for this dagger", it's "Sweet! Now I can buy that unique I needed/get 50% more DPS on my weapon/save up for my 6L!" And I love mapping because slowly working my way up the tiers brings new levels of challenge and reward.

I don't really have interest in slowly accumulating permanent wealth at this point. I did that for a while, and it was fun, but now I have enough gear and currency on standard that getting more is simply barely noticeable. Temp leagues may be repeating the same thing over and over again, but I want to try out lots of different builds, and they provide a way to do that while progressing meaningfully.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
''Please think of something that will save the game????''

Is OP serious right now?
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
I'm not sure if you actually identified a problem with the standard league - what exactly is your gripe? The only thing I can really identify is, you want them to force others to play Standard - that doesn't really seem right at all.

"To developers, why is there no break between leagues? What is your purpose? What does standard mean to you? Should not be new leagues shorter and with breaks?"

After feeling compelled to participate in temp leagues and making very little progress I decided to start playing Standard for much the same reasons as yourself. It has been a very good experience. There have been plenty of people playing, and I don't mind trading off whatever wackiness is happening in the temp league for the stability of actually making some consistent progress on my characters with the little bit of time I have.

I expect that once I get my feet wet with a fully developed end-game character I'll probably want to move between league and standard on a whim.

"

Is OP serious right now?

Look at this chart.

http://steamcharts.com/app/238960
Just a heads up, the Steamcharts are very much cyclical in response to content launch, and not strictly representative of the overall playerbase trends.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Are you sure it is a trash and not just trash?

With your kind of attitude, I would like to appoint you as chief street sweeper up Standard league, cleaning out the trash on a daily basis. Great job in your efforts kind sir. You look down from high upon the lowly standard plebeians and think lofty thoughts of how to clean up the wasteland that you see and gentrify it into a cosmopolitan and hip hangout.
"Come along fool, a direct hit to the senses will leave you disconnected."
"
uzzman wrote:
"

Is OP serious right now?

Look at this chart.

I don't know if you realize that those numbers are not total unique players each day. That could be reasonably 10 times higher. And then the last poll I saw taken had less than half of the players using steam. So conservatively, 20 times as many as a guess, gives 100,000-300,000 unique players on any given day in the slow part of the cycle. Multiply that by another number to consider those who don't play every day and you have a pretty healthy player base.

And I think that's being very conservative.

(I am pulling numbers out of my ass, but they're educated numbers)

Also of note, since I just went to look at that chart again for the whole life of PoE, upon release of ACT 4 the game peaked at just below its release numbers in 2013. That's pretty impressive, and we have another, arguably more exciting expansion just around the corner.
"
"
uzzman wrote:
"

Is OP serious right now?

Look at this chart.

[Removed by support]

This made my day.
This is a buff.

Report Forum Post