and so it starts - net neutrality

"
vio wrote:

sorry, it's in german

click english button on the link for english version :)
The problem with charging for different amounts of service is that ISPs are generally local monopolies that are funded by the government due to the large cost of infrastructure required to get internet to places.

So wherever you live you probably only have one option for internet. Maybe two if you're lucky and live in a place where they overlap a bit. Prices have to be standardized because there's no competition, and there can't be competition because it's just not feasible.

I don't know EU infrastructure that well but I can tell you that it would be completely unreasonable to remove net neutrality in the US for this reason alone. There would be very little in place to stop ISPs from price gouging consumers because they download a little more, or like to play video games. I imagine the base download numbers would be set absurdly low to encourage anyone who uses the internet for more than reading text to upgrade as well... really stupid. Hope this doesn't spread.
Every Saturday = National Booze n Poe Day
If this is what concerns you about goverment then you deserve the chains you beg for.
"
CyberCrow wrote:
Who gives a shit, if you like the game then it shouldn't make any difference if it becomes a sub to raise cash.
Most people would be ok with a subscription if the game developer actually got that money. In this case your subscription would go to some internet provider and not to GGG. You don't see an issue with this? If suddenly your grocery store started charging you a fee to be able to shop in their store because your government started charging tolls on the roads to your city, you'd just say "oh well, a subscription to use the grocery store is not a big deal"?
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
maxor wrote:
"
Legatus1982 wrote:
It's a lot bigger than poe folks.

For some people this won't matter much. For others you will find the outcome of this DRAMATICALLY changing your lifestyle.

There are already E.U laws that safe guard off shore internet traffic against local price fixing for services like the inter-net.If this company where to ignore them and try and charge extra for "handling"part of an established route they would find them selves in E.U court with an auto win to the wronged party.

Worse case scenario traffic would have to go through Holland where access to the inter-net is considered a basic human right with all that brings.

You are assuming net neutrality ends up winning the day here which is not the only outcome. I hope your assumption is correct though, as do all gamers I'd expect.
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
It's terrifying how so many people do not realize how the erasion of net-neutrality will affect the future of the internet world-wide.

And do not be fooled, this will eventually reach everyone once it is being successfully implemented anywhere in the world.

Money does rule the world, and very soon the internet we grew up with may very well change so dramatically that it might become unusable for many.

The ONLY hope we have now is having people wake up and realizing the threats this change brings. And the only solution, as it is in many cases, is boycot. Don't support it, dont pay for it and it will dissappear on its own. Reality is different though, as history shows.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
''True'' 'Freedom' is something humanity will never be able to aquire again.
Atleast we had it within the safe harbour of the internet for a decade or two...
Meta-game holds no value - Play with what you like!
Last edited by Ycan on Dec 1, 2015, 5:26:55 PM
Defiantly a sad thing.

I am use to this since dew to living in the country i have only 1 ISP that can reach me and they rape me for every penny they can. They get away with it since they have a legal monopoly ( thx Steven Harper corporate government )

If you are wondering how bad it can get ? let me give you a nice eg.

I am lucky to get 250 kb DL speed

I have bandwidth cap of 15 gigs per mounth ( the max the company will alow )

If i go over my cap i am charged PER MEG ( it works out to 50 $ per gig after 15 gigs )

Just went and garbed my most recent internet bill :

Total usage for last mounth 21,697.405 MB ( 21.6 gigs )

total usage charge $ 317.94

After admin fees ( this is just more bullshit i can't argue with them about , iv tryed many times )
$ 337.94

After GST tax 16.90 =

$ 354.84 1 mounth

last year my internet connection was attacked by angry Russians from EvE online, total bill for the mount was over $ 1400. I was able to prove that my internet connection was attacked ( barly was i abel to prove this ) my ISP did me a " friendly favor " and only held me accountable for $ 800 of the bill. I was also told at this time that this " favor " would not be bestowed on me again and if this ever happened again i was on my own and would be held to the full bill . Also i had to threaten legal action before this so called "favor" was even offered .

Welcome to the new internet, get out your wallets or fuck off .

Edit : forgot im leapfroging some of my internet onto my cell phone , i use my cell phone for calls only ( other than the internet i leach off it to my computer ) including that my 1 mount bill is :

$569.72

this gives me a cellphone and a totaly garbage internet conection ( most people would not beabel to play PoE with the connection i have im just use to it so i strugle through , constant disconects , random lag spike .

Since i barly use my cell phone and rarley text you can basicaly call my 1 mounth bill this mount $569.72

Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
Last edited by SirSid on Dec 1, 2015, 6:51:48 PM
"
mark1030 wrote:
"
CyberCrow wrote:
Who gives a shit, if you like the game then it shouldn't make any difference if it becomes a sub to raise cash.
your government started charging tolls on the roads to your city, you'd just say "oh well, a subscription to use the grocery store is not a big deal"?

Are government does charge with road tolls we also pay road tax (UK), so it would be no different.

As they say nothing in life is for free ;)
"
Argwain wrote:
How does it personally affect you?

this is literally a change that can potentially increase the cost of everything, once one company raises it prices to 'pass the charge along to the consumer' pretty much everything across the board potentially is going to get more expensive due to basing their product price against what others are selling their product for
Hey...is this thing on?
The internet isn't free. We pay these ISPs and local telecom monopolies. The original neutrality debate involves ISPs charging more for certain kinds of data like Voip or streaming video. These ISPs and local telecom monopolies want people who use more bandwidth to pay more. Road tolls on the internet folks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info