Content Update 2.1.0: Talisman Challenge Leagues, New Skills and more!

"
"

Since you've never shipped any games it is understandable you're ignorant about UI and don't have a clue about (good) user experience.

Funny you say that since I'm a front-end developer who makes games for a living. There is a lot more to consider than just adding a 'right click to add note' feature to specific nodes in the tree. What happens when that node is removed? What happens when A LOT of nodes are removed, and you had notes for each of them? Displaying that information in a useful and intuitive way isn't easy. And at that point, why stop by adding notes to just the tree? Why not add notes to the character page, to items, etc. Not unsolvable problems, but again, its a much easier solution to just use a personal text file. This game already relies heavily on third party tools - relying on a text file isn't really a stretch. And honestly, if you have a remotely decent memory, relying on a text file isn't necessary either.

I won't bring myself to condescension to make my point (which seems to be your primary method of argument), but if you've been 'shipping games since 1995', you should know that it really isn't that easy. Sure, you could poorly implement notes to the tree in a day, but to do it correctly would take far more development time. As I said before, this is a problem for such a minuscule part of the population that it is not worthy of aforementioned time.

/rekt

This is my favorite kind of humor. When someone arrogantly sticks there neck out but then can't put there money were there mouth is.
"ran out of high teir maps to leave on the ground - people kept taking the higher teirs" - Da Pagionator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31clJn_oNQ
Give us Auction!!!
We need it so bad!
1.) Price check take too much time. Go to page Poe.Trade, type name of item, type name of item correctly, realize you are doing it wrong, do it correctly, find your item and item cost nothing. FU!
2.) Newbies trying to sold items for 5 hours - no sexsess! Only time lost.
3.) Others use Bots in to the chat, but normal player have no time for this sheet.
4.) Wow have it, LineAge have it, Diablo have it <= You Can Do Better!
5.) BARTER in now a days ISN'T an OPTION
"

. What happens when that node is removed? What happens when A LOT of nodes are removed, and you had notes for each of them? Displaying that information in a useful and intuitive way isn't easy. And at that point, why stop by adding notes to just the tree? Why not add notes to the character page, to items, etc. Not unsolvable problems, but again, its a much easier solution to just use a personal text file. This game already relies heavily on third party tools - relying on a text file isn't really a stretch. And honestly, if you have a remotely decent memory, relying on a text file isn't necessary either.

My day job is UI + Graphics + Optimizations. This isn't rocket science. If a node is tagged and an update removes that node then when the user displays the skill tree, all nodes need to be checked if they are still valid.

"

As I said before, this is a problem for such a minuscule part of the population that it is not worthy of aforementioned time.

As a UI expert I completely disagree. (Great) UI empowers users -- all the way from the inexperienced users to including advanced users. Forcing them to rely on third-party programs is stupid UI, aka lazy (game) dev.

But this isn't the space to argue about GGG's poor UI understanding.
Last edited by Michaelangel007 on Dec 20, 2015, 5:40:34 PM
"

/rekt

This is my favorite kind of humor. When someone arrogantly sticks there neck out but then can't put there money were there mouth is.

And you've shipped _how_ many games again?

What you are _completely_ oblivious to is that when GGG changes the skill tree and leaves users completely high and dry with no migration path it tells users one thing:

That GGG doesn't respect gamer's time.

THAT is the underlying fundamental principal that I'm pointing out.

The only thing "rekt" is gamers. When you have friends quit playing the game because they get tired of GGG's shenanigans of being too lazy to help users transition over to the new (skill) system it is a real problem. A minor problem that most people just grumble and put up with but still a problem regardless. Alienating your customer base is a UI fail. You're still young so you don't (yet) understand the principal that it is just as important to not demotivate as it is to motivate your customers.

UI is always an investment into users. I see many studios (indie and professionals) completely fail to understand how to treat the gamer with respect over and over again because they can't "justify" the (dev) costs.

GGG already does a _fantastic_ job with customer support. Top-notch that puts many professional studios to shame.

However, their UI is (still) piss poor. In the past Chris has made excuses that UI customization doesn't belong in an action game but he's not thinking about the problem from a user's perspective. Example: When you have a row of buffs and debuffs/curses that are so long that they are hidden behind the selected monster's title at the top of the screen either splitting this 1 row into 2 rows (buffs on one line and debuffs on a second line) or *gasp* allowing users to *gasp* _move_ where buffs and debuffs are shown on screen allows users to solve the problem that is convenient for them.

I'd be more then willing to help PoE's UI problems for free but Chris doesn't seem interested in that side of the business. C'est la vie.

In the mean time I'll keep pointing out poor UI choices to educate people _what_ and _why_ there is a problem.

Last edited by Michaelangel007 on Dec 21, 2015, 10:19:57 AM
Late but I love you GGG!!! To chime in, GGG isn't even close to being done with PoE extensions of content so why even bring up a PoE 2? This isn't Diablo.
Hello from July 2021! Didn't play Talisman but seems like it was hype!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info