Is this the end of POE?

"
Are we witnessing the end of POE?

I's certainly not the end for many, even if it may be the end for you.

I just arrived, a total PoE noob here. What has may be taken you a while to fully enjoy and eventually get bored with is all new to me. So for those leaving and moving on to new things -- which of course is perfectly fine in our world of somewhat saturated PC gaming -- others will join and try out PoE for the first time.

What kept me away for so long? D3, TL2, and many others. I'm finally interested in PoE after news of fixing the strict server sync issues. News of that lag (or rather de-sync) kept me away for a long time. Now I can enjoy PoE, may be contribute to the community, and have fun here.

New life into a not-so-new game. After all, exiles are always arriving. ;-)

"
-Trade is a long way off.

I'd rather not see an auction house in the future of PoE. It keeps every item legitly obtained through gameplay of the character who found it.

"
Next generation games are already coming out that will run on this machine sitting in front of me, it barely runs 3 people parties in POE.

PoE is VERY smooth on my PC, and my PC is from 2009. Even in parties. Seriously. High end for that era, true, but at 2560x1600 (2011) and maxed settings, PoE is buttery smooth on just an old Core i7 920 and an NVIDIA GTX 680 (2012). Perhaps you had issues with network latency when in parties, and not system performance?
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Nov 10, 2015, 1:46:18 PM
Yeah, I played back when PoE first came out, but quit for a looooong time. Just recently started again and brought my wife into it. Shes enjoying it very much.

And on the performance front. Both my wife and I have decent machines. i5s, SSDs, 16gb of memory, decent graphic cards....but far from "high end", we have no issues at all. The only time Ive had some lag is both of us on screen with lots of spells and a ton of mobs...but not enough to impede play. Just some studdering.
"
Yeah, I played back when PoE first came out, but quit for a looooong time. Just recently started again and brought my wife into it. Shes enjoying it very much.

And on the performance front. Both my wife and I have decent machines. i5s, SSDs, 16gb of memory, decent graphic cards....but far from "high end", we have no issues at all. The only time Ive had some lag is both of us on screen with lots of spells and a ton of mobs...but not enough to impede play. Just some studdering.

Welcome back. Hopefully it will be as new to you again as it is to me right now. :-)

The only stuttering I've seen is when I get pushed a notice about a new league or a league starting soon. And may be a couple minutes into my gameplay for each session. Then it's all smooth otherwise.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
I'm still relatively new to the game so I can't compare my experiences to many of yours (started in mid july)...but the game is very fun to me. I played from July( a week or so before Awakening dropped) through the end of September. Stopped for a month or so and picked it up again this week and having fun just like I did.

The things that I would like addressed, sooner rather than later:

Trading: Make it easier for people to list items and trade with folks. I refuse to go to poetrade find an item I like and message someone that probably won't respond to me. Its archaic. Its not fun. Its not hip or rad. Its not edgey. Its not compelling or interesting. I feel like I am back in 1995 playing online games again. Just give us a GUI, doesn't have to be an auction house, where people can list items and it'll show whether or not they are online/offline, in a map, or whatever...make it easier! Until then, Im 99.99999% self found. Will I reach 100? I don't know. Doubt it.

Balance skills: Especially early ones. Right now, the common thought for many builds is to level up using flame totem/dual flame totem or incinerate. I don't want to. For example: Id love to level up using SRS but the lack of AOE damage is appalling early on.

Portaling out: I would love to see the alt+f4 / portal out mechanic removed. I know that the game is tuned in a way to give large swings of spike damage so they allow instant dropping. I get it. And Im starting to accept it. And now, because I am embracing portaling out (I still won't alt+f4 or macro or whatever), I am lasting longer in HC. Im having a much easier time in HC. Am I more hardcore because of it? No, contrary I am less. I do think it takes a bit of thought and skill to open inventory, click on a portal scroll and portal out before your HP drops to zero. Definitely. But I am having an easier time surviving not because I am getting better, but because I am portaling out to save my skin and to refresh my potions. If at all possible, tune down mechanics so that instant dropping or portaling mid fight is not allowed. Don't dumb it down, just tune it down. It wont happen. But I can dream. In the mean time, I'll continue to use portals liberally in a boss fight cheasing everything that I used to have problems with. I still won't Alt+f4 ...thats taking it too far.

These are the three big issues for me. Is the game dead? I dont know why people are even considering it. Chat is always a bustle of idiotic comments, I always see a lot of people in town. The game is fine. Still needs work like any live game.
^
"The Talisman Challenge Leagues are going extremely well! They have the highest player retention we've seen so far compared to past Path of Exile challenge leagues."

Sounds dead to me.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
"The Talisman Challenge Leagues are going extremely well! They have the highest player retention we've seen so far compared to past Path of Exile challenge leagues."

Sounds dead to me.

Please realize that if five people played the challenge league and one quit, there would be an 80% retention and that would blow all the records for retention to this day. It's a worthless statistic without releasing the number that they started with.
Lol?

I can't see PoE dying out any time in the near future.

You wanna see a dead game? Look at what Blizzard did to Starcraft.
Every Saturday = National Booze n Poe Day
For you maybe it is but for everyone else no.
I took a break for over a year, and after coming back I actually enjoy the game quite a bit more. Sure there's a few things I miss, but I think the doomsayers are being a little melodramatic. Maybe you just need a break for a while?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info