Enhancing Poison

"
Thejunior wrote:
Still waiting for a Poison Nova type of skill, to relive my Poison Necromancer of the past :). Please GGG It's Christmas and all!!

You can already do this in a few ways ;)

Ice Nova, Pyre, Consuming Dark + Infernal Mantle for example
Pretty sure Chaos and Poison are two different damage types.

Poison now has its own cluster of nodes near Acrobatics.

Chaos nodes should not be boosting poison damage, but DOT nodes are likely to boost poison.

Viper strike still gives 25% Chaos conversion i believe which is a hefty amount along with their starting nodes it will be a good base skill.
Dear GGG, ^^

I could really use some clarification for Void Manipulation.

Will Void Manip directly affect the dmg of Poison?
For example Viper Strike's DoT.

Will it double dip, once for the direct hit of Viper Strike's 25% chaos damage and then further multiplicative enhance the poison DoT damage?

Does it work this way:

Damage of Viper Strike linked to Void Manipulation:

Viper Str. hit dmg = Phys dmg + (Chaos dmg * Void Manipulation)
Viper Str. DoT dmg = (total phys + chaos dmg) * Void Manipulation

On one side it I think it should, but on the other it shouldn't.
Due to the recent changes of the poison mechanic and that it is a status ailment makes it hard to wrap my head around it..

I would like to compare it with a crit Infernal Blow hit linked to Fire Penetration.
Fire Penetration should double dip (tripple dip). Once for the hit and once for the ignite through the hit (and once more for the explosion).

Best regards
TheVoid
Last edited by TheVoid on Dec 10, 2015, 9:58:49 AM
Likely yes, since Poison damage is a subset of Chaos damage; like the relation between Burning and Fire damage.
For thy actions, thou shall be cursed, and thy stash tabs shall be forever tangled and
beyond comprehension
So as I understand chaos damage contributes to the poison damage, however, I need some clarification from GGG if with the new mechanics added chaos damage gem buff is added to poison DOT damage or not. As per the current wiki page it doesn't contribute.
So I decided to try a poison toon and was looking at the wiki and it says poisons damage is 10% of total physical and chaos damage from the hit. Then it goes on to say that it gains no increased damage from attack damage which doesn't make since to me. If it's based off the damage of your hit how does increasing the damage of the hit not work say with a "increase damage with X weapon" passive?
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Poison

What am I missing here?
"
derbefrier wrote:
So I decided to try a poison toon and was looking at the wiki and it says poisons damage is 10% of total physical and chaos damage from the hit. Then it goes on to say that it gains no increased damage from attack damage which doesn't make since to me. If it's based off the damage of your hit how does increasing the damage of the hit not work say with a "increase damage with X weapon" passive?
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Poison

What am I missing here?

Poison damage (and all DoTs really) can do what is called double dipping. For example if you have 100% increased chaos damage and you poison with a hit that only does chaos damage, the original hit will be increased by 100% and then the poison damage will be increased again by the same amount, since poison is chaos damage.

Some damage types do not double dip, for example spell damage and any damage from attacks (like 50% increased physical attack damage with daggers as an example), while others, like projectile, area and chaos damage, does.
It doesn't apply to poison damage directly, but it is applied to it indirectly via increasing attack damage (on which poison is calculated). This may look redundant, but consider that some modifiers are applied twice(so-called "double-dipping"), like area damage.
So, for example:
I. Single-target phys attack with base 100 dmg and 20%inc.phys dmg. We'll have 100*(100%+20%)=120 phys damage and 120*10%=12 chaos damage.
II. Area phys attack with the same base 100dmg but 20%inc.area damage. The resulting dmg is 100*(100%+20%)=120 phys and 120*10%*(100%+20%)=14.4 chaos damage.
It looks insignificant here but try changing 20% to 50% and think about the fact that you can have more that one such modifier.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Last edited by silumit on Mar 10, 2016, 11:39:28 PM
Fatal poison still 50%....
/1625088 - my Perandus shop
/746510 - PoE tiny service
/901183 - new contract system (Support it!!)
/1183686 - My map is MAD!
/1145686 - my Gear /899106 - my Shop

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info