Enhancing Poison

The only way i see the poison changes being anywhere close to viable is there is some way to proliferate stacked poisons (perhaps the duration of the stacked poisons is half the original duration)

from how viper strike was mentioned, why would anyone use viper strike when u can use reave with the poison support gem which boosts the poison dmg(significantly better than longer duration), has built in aoe to equal out vipers need for melee splash(would be superiour in this regard), duration is useless except for single target on incredibily strong bosses.

the core problem with poison of any sort, is it requires time to work, PA works around this by being a set and forget sort of thing from range, and not scaling off hit dmg but melees will not have this option given how poison is scaled off hit dmg, for example, at the moment, if you hit something for half its hp, and poison it, it wont die from the poison, so u have to hit it againm then it is dead and the poison is pointless, and it just gets worse the less dmg you actually do, as poison scales linearly with hit dmg. thus the only way poison would be useful is, for a melee to kill like a few mobs, and the poison to proliferate like a plague and kill the whole pack, and then for bosses, to stack up a large amount of poison on the boss which is just assisted dps(BUT this will only work for phys builds, since poison apparently wont be calculated off elemental dmg. believe me, i have tried to use viper strike, but in the end its aways reave cause the pack clear is so much better, and reave outshines viper evne in boss dps, cause u can just whack on a conc effect and do abillion dmg that way, i tested, against a palace dominus, beat him down to 10% with viper, then ran off, he didnt die..... wat point is it.
"
maoster wrote:
The only way i see the poison changes being anywhere close to viable is there is some way to proliferate stacked poisons (perhaps the duration of the stacked poisons is half the original duration)

from how viper strike was mentioned, why would anyone use viper strike when u can use reave with the poison support gem which boosts the poison dmg(significantly better than longer duration), has built in aoe to equal out vipers need for melee splash(would be superiour in this regard), duration is useless except for single target on incredibily strong bosses.

the core problem with poison of any sort, is it requires time to work, PA works around this by being a set and forget sort of thing from range, and not scaling off hit dmg but melees will not have this option given how poison is scaled off hit dmg, for example, at the moment, if you hit something for half its hp, and poison it, it wont die from the poison, so u have to hit it againm then it is dead and the poison is pointless, and it just gets worse the less dmg you actually do, as poison scales linearly with hit dmg. thus the only way poison would be useful is, for a melee to kill like a few mobs, and the poison to proliferate like a plague and kill the whole pack, and then for bosses, to stack up a large amount of poison on the boss which is just assisted dps(BUT this will only work for phys builds, since poison apparently wont be calculated off elemental dmg. believe me, i have tried to use viper strike, but in the end its aways reave cause the pack clear is so much better, and reave outshines viper evne in boss dps, cause u can just whack on a conc effect and do abillion dmg that way, i tested, against a palace dominus, beat him down to 10% with viper, then ran off, he didnt die..... wat point is it.

about splash, they are changing it.

for poison prolif, bino's.

but the point still stands, if you can't scale it like you can with burn damage ; *blast for 35% of mob life, it burns the rest*, it will feel shit, and you will just switch to something else.
It feels to me as another optional 'helper' to those of us not concerned with clear speed. It will be interesting to explore the inefficient possibilities :D
Hmmm. You raise some good points, sir. I was thinking of using the system as a way to indirectly 'buff up' the damage of skills other than Viper Strike. I don't want to be spilling all of the *Top Secret* beans I've been cooking up!

I'd be really disappointed if it DID end up being a one-skill-for-all. However, we both know that once Brutus is down on the beach, it's all AOE all the time.

If the streamers begin using Viper Strike, it's over. Feels like being back in my early 20's watching buddy after buddy getting swindled into marriage. I'd keep saying "another one bites the dust." -Queen

:D
Hmm this could be the change that allows single targets to be utilized on heavy targets though.

DoT does have an inherent "more" multiplier in it when you get the ball going, so pretty hyped to see it in action.

Though obviously the "efficient ubber alles" folks will not be temped in my opinion, then again, there is no need for that. If i am happy with it, i am happy and that's basically all that maters to me when playing a game.

Ooh top secret beans :) i got some of those grant :p.

In fact i was mildly disappointed when i read this is going in the next major expansion, somehow i assumed it would be implemented in the next filler league. :(

Already had my build planned and all.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Same, Boem! I have a couple of goofy things I want to try. Ah, well.
If poison inflicts all nearby enemys with amount of stacks the just killed target had before death, aka, i hit 1 mob in a pack of 20 with a poisoning attack, it dies, and then 5mobs are poisoned, and i hit one of them, which poisons another 5 mobs each with 2 stacks, but if they were already poisoned it would be 3 and so on, aka almost like a plague, poison would be useful, as this woild be a good way to buff the aoe potential of melee poison, and does something ranged poison cant do,

Could be like a keystone, virulent poisons, poisons triggered by melee attacks spread to nearby enemys when it kills.

This is different to binos which from my interpretation only applys 1 stack of poison regardless of stacks the killed target has
As long as the Poison support is not melee only I intend to try this new mechanic with Spectral Throw, a Fair amount but not incredible amount of Proj Speed, and using the double hit nature of Spectral throw coupled with Frenzy/Attack speed to put up to 12 stacks on a mob every second. I think that as mentioned before, if you cant scale the poison damage to do more damage then the initial hit then it will not be very useful. Considering u could just as easily go elemental damage and kill things with 2 hits.

That being said, if the poison cuts through all resist even chaos resist then maybe it would still be worth it. Either way I love chaos builds and hope to make a build around it. Currently working on a high life/Armour block character template. Should sit around 65% block without much investment in gear just passives and a good block shield. We shall see how it goes.

Also, I would like to see abyssal cry or a similar chaos exploding mechanic be available for ranged cast. Since you currently cannot link war cries to CWDT or Totems it makes it hard for a range character to really utilize those effectively.. sure I could Whirling blades into them, pop Abyssal Cry, whirling blades out then allow my Spectral throw to trail throw, but it seems like a lot of set up for effective DPS compared to other builds.
Last edited by Hallagenic on Oct 29, 2015, 8:50:04 PM
Am I crazy or would this poison change make a 100% chaos converted incinerate build OP as fuck? 10% of damage dealt every second for 2 seconds and incinerate hits more than 10 times per second, with stacking poison wouldn't over 50% of damage come from the poison?
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
Pretty excited for this change, honestly. I may have to post a few build guides/vidoes using these mechanics once i test how they work. Keep up the great changes!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info