Lets Talk About CI.

This thread is comedy gold.

In it there is complaints that CI is not viable (besides viable being a loaded term this is wrong), and then people saying CI is perfectly fine.

First you need to decide on viable.

I have built two CI characters in WB, both went CI from a VERY early level (like 40ish, most 'snob' hardcore players would cringe at me saying that). Both had no survivability issues and actually did well.

One of them was using ZO as an ES tank, so ZO definitely makes it viable (had 500 es/s at malachai cruel and was facetanking most of his stuff). Admittedly this one had very low DPS because it was being a dyness tank at early levels (to test if possible). It worked just was very slow clear speed.

The other was a regular CI spellcaster stacking es recharge delay reduction, not quite an ES tank but still ended up with plenty of ES enough to finish malachai merc which means "endgame viable", because that's the end of the game. Postgame? I don't care about that. This worked amazingly, get hit, back off for half a second (even against bosses is mostly possible), pop anti-burn/bleed flask if necessary, regen to full in seconds, go back in.

I don't play maps so not gonna comment on how good CI is in maps, but it works perfectly fine in the main game.

What I find people seem to miss when they look at CI is WHY it is powerful. What makes it strong.

It is not like life. Leech is not its strength. I am sure you can make leech work, but the benefit of CI is that:
It has a higher pool (comparing flat ES values with flat Life is stupid when you get so much more % es inc than you do % life inc).
It has a 'regen to full' mechanic that requires no investment to work, but can be invested in to make it more powerful

Those are its strengths, those are what you should focus on. Keeping the pool high, getting the regen mechanic down so you can recover lost ES in a good way. Since leech is nerfed, leeching it probably isn't the best mechanic to get the ES back.

But so many people seem to completely ignore the ES regen delay reduction which you can get on jewels (get on every jewel), and for ~4 nodes usually can get another 30% on tree. It seems like its not much because it doesn't show immediately. But it makes a huge difference, for my non ZO CI facing off against those granite rocks/giant bears, I actually regen more damage than I take in between their attacks (unless they have FA in some way)
"
Real_Wolf wrote:
This thread is comedy gold.

In it there is complaints that CI is not viable (besides viable being a loaded term this is wrong), and then people saying CI is perfectly fine.

First you need to decide on viable.

I have built two CI characters in WB, both went CI from a VERY early level (like 40ish, most 'snob' hardcore players would cringe at me saying that). Both had no survivability issues and actually did well.

One of them was using ZO as an ES tank, so ZO definitely makes it viable (had 500 es/s at malachai cruel and was facetanking most of his stuff). Admittedly this one had very low DPS because it was being a dyness tank at early levels (to test if possible). It worked just was very slow clear speed.

The other was a regular CI spellcaster stacking es recharge delay reduction, not quite an ES tank but still ended up with plenty of ES enough to finish malachai merc which means "endgame viable", because that's the end of the game. Postgame? I don't care about that. This worked amazingly, get hit, back off for half a second (even against bosses is mostly possible), pop anti-burn/bleed flask if necessary, regen to full in seconds, go back in.

I don't play maps so not gonna comment on how good CI is in maps, but it works perfectly fine in the main game.

What I find people seem to miss when they look at CI is WHY it is powerful. What makes it strong.

It is not like life. Leech is not its strength. I am sure you can make leech work, but the benefit of CI is that:
It has a higher pool (comparing flat ES values with flat Life is stupid when you get so much more % es inc than you do % life inc).
It has a 'regen to full' mechanic that requires no investment to work, but can be invested in to make it more powerful

Those are its strengths, those are what you should focus on. Keeping the pool high, getting the regen mechanic down so you can recover lost ES in a good way. Since leech is nerfed, leeching it probably isn't the best mechanic to get the ES back.

But so many people seem to completely ignore the ES regen delay reduction which you can get on jewels (get on every jewel), and for ~4 nodes usually can get another 30% on tree. It seems like its not much because it doesn't show immediately. But it makes a huge difference, for my non ZO CI facing off against those granite rocks/giant bears, I actually regen more damage than I take in between their attacks (unless they have FA in some way)

You seem like you are not much into late game content.
"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
Last edited by Rupenus on Oct 9, 2015, 2:10:04 AM
"

this is good in pvp, actually very good; but almost worthless in pve. My first über kill was with faster recharge CI melee. Then i realized leech is much much better. You cant rely on sneaking and waiting your ES to get full. Rooms are crowdy. Boss rooms are small. We talked about this also.
"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
I think CI could use a bit of a buff to Infused Shield (the "more" bonus to ES) but that's it. CI was getting out of hand and needed to be reined-in.

SR/Leech is still worthwhile IMO, if not as godly as it was before.
Last edited by DeviantLightning on Oct 9, 2015, 4:02:59 AM
- Sadly I'm not even sure I agree with the part that CI has better damage, CI almost always requires a shield to survive (at least below mirror-gear levels), while life can fake-DW for massive damage bonuses and wear insanely effective glass cannon items like Abyssus.

- If you feel like you can't leech enough to survive, you can technically trade some of your overbloated pseudo-hp pool for mitigation. I'd say an armor or eva shield + shield defence nodes is probably pretty effective, and Incandescent Heart offers good elemental mitigation and some armor on top of helping you with leech. The problem here is CI is mostly blocked from the best mitigation tools in the game (Acro obviously, and the shield nodes in the bottom-left part of the tree).

- I really dislike that CI/hybrid is now so heavily penalized for using Blood Rage. Frezny Charges are easily within reach of CI builds but there's no other way to efficiently generate them for most builds.

- ES recharge is a cool concept, but completely unreliable as a core mechanic of one of the 3 main defense types, and practically impossible to utilize effectively in a melee build.

Recharge is perfectly viable when built and PLAYED around. CI is different than life and requirez different playstyle. Bullrush into the crowd is not how it is done. Recharge delay reduction (jewels!!) is effective enough that my dumpster-level EK witch has no problem doing reflect maps. It surely isnt the fastest possible method but is competetive with life caster builds and the buffer it has makes life/es regen really strong.

CI melee not being strongest? Duh.. 2h mace rangers also arent the greatest. CI is workable but it requires different mindset and playstyle. If you cannot adapt to it - and want to play it the life way (leech uber ales) go play life builds. Adapt to the games rules.

Btw what is the point of these 200 500 or 145980k dps builds when all that does is overkill damage with no real value? I know that dps warmongering is strong but just.. why?

CI and leech changes were two greates 2.0 changes. Most people adapted and moved on. Some are still in the 1.3 and try to move back in time..
"
sidtherat wrote:
Recharge is perfectly viable when built and PLAYED around. CI is different than life and requirez different playstyle. Bullrush into the crowd is not how it is done. Recharge delay reduction (jewels!!) is effective enough that my dumpster-level EK witch has no problem doing reflect maps. It surely isnt the fastest possible method but is competetive with life caster builds and the buffer it has makes life/es regen really strong.

CI melee not being strongest? Duh.. 2h mace rangers also arent the greatest. CI is workable but it requires different mindset and playstyle. If you cannot adapt to it - and want to play it the life way (leech uber ales) go play life builds. Adapt to the games rules.

Btw what is the point of these 200 500 or 145980k dps builds when all that does is overkill damage with no real value? I know that dps warmongering is strong but just.. why?

CI and leech changes were two greates 2.0 changes. Most people adapted and moved on. Some are still in the 1.3 and try to move back in time..

DPS -> leech

So obvious. DPS is a tool to survive. You kill things faster than they create a problem. Also, meh, your arguments are too ignorant.

'

"
CI and leech changes were two greates 2.0 changes. Most people adapted and moved on. Some are still in the 1.3 and try to move back in time..''

yeah you are amazing... great... you are powerful im just stupid. Teach me master. Teach meee. How can you be so amazing man?
Last edited by Rupenus on Oct 9, 2015, 10:49:06 AM
Not gonna argue that much about if CI and leech changes were good. However i am gonna say that thematically and lore wise, Shadow IS supposed to be the leech class. So it makes zero sense that the most and best leech passives are in the Duelist and marauder areas. That was a fail.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info