Nobody Cares That I'm Leaving. But They Might Care Why.

Great thread, OP.

GGG needs to read it.

The simple TLDR answer to why I’m leaving is that PoE took way too much of my time for very little fun or payoff, and instead began to feel like a tedious job.
Just gonna say, 'leaving' isn't necessarily a bad thing, everyone needs breaks. Are you leaving permanently however with no plans on ever playing again?

I go through cycles, sometimes I play if I am enjoying it, when I get bored of playing it I just stop. I suppose that's why I've never reached the part the OP said of feeling that its a tedious job, because if it gets there I am already off playing whatever has caught my attention elsewhere.

In the same cycle though, I know I will probably come back to PoE at some point. Not when theres new content being added, though that can entice me it wasn't what brought me back. I was here playing before awakening was known about because I felt the urge to play again. What brings me back is I enjoy the core gameplay, the feel of levelling up a character, and its the same reason I dislike maps. I'll continue enjoying this in future as long as what I am doing is a new character, a new build style, something I haven't done before. I don't think I've ever repeated a character more than once, with one exception: My first build of LMP+freezing pulse which I have always enjoyed, so have built a few times.

Go where you need to, games are for enjoyment and sometimes relaxing, when a game is not enjoyable it is not the correct game. Find something more suited to your mood, be it minecraft, CoD, starcraft, dota, or some indie little release like sails, lovers in a dangerous spacetime, not-tetris, etc.
I play in HC only and i agree when it comes to builds diversity. Balance is so bad, GGG is weakest her. Cyclone, incinerate, PA, totems and few others are just so easy to play, broken, OP, if you want let's say to aim high in ladder with rest skills/specs are so much harder. I understand that it cant be perfect, but few skills are so much better than the rest, what the hell? Is is hard to buff non used skills atleast 10% or something to see how it will be. After last challenge leagues, in this 1month there was no balance. GGG type to step it up, and nerf few skills or buff least used at higher level, to sum it up, let me explain bigest problems:

-Balance skills faster, buff atleast 10% worst ones, nerf 5% best ones.
-Why summoners still dont have their spectres after they DC or log off?

-I am a bit worried that game is going faster and faster, people quit faster after each new league, question is it really better to still speed up gameplay, maybe time to stop buffing drops and buffing skills? Can get easily with new char level 70 in 10hours with most chars, not saying it's bad, but dont speed up more please.

Other than what i like the game, i liked Invasion when everyone whined, liked Tempest. Everything else is just great, love GGG, but im pissed only at balance team, i like to aim in ladder not in top20, can play much only when have vocation, but top100 is realistic, so would like to have more options to choose from, meaning buff some skils, nerf-fix others, perhaps items in some cases. Please GGG.
3.15 was a joke. 3.19 was a disaster. Archnemesis/Ruthless/Crucible(Archnemesis 4.0?) - worst ideas. Ruthless is a joke, a waste of resources. PoE2(exilecon version) was super disappointing.
Thanks! Very good feedback.
Thank you for a well-written post, and good luck in your future endeavours.
I agree with alot of your points here. Great Feedback thread. I honestly wish there were more thread written like this instead of most of the useless rant/rage filled threads we get.

One of the major themes to this I have brought up quite a bit and you hit the nail right on the head, they seem to have taken away from those who want a long standing character. There is a good part of the community that it takes them months to gear a character, some even a year or so. Yes that might not be the top 1%, the top 10% or maybe even the top 25%, but I would dare to say that it is actually the majority of the player base. It has actually brought me to the point I am in the game right now. Until I see the crazy nerf's & balancing changes actually level out I have actually pulled out of a big part of the community. I don't care for farming, trading & striving to get the perfect end game setup anymore. I'm not going to invest the time & currency into items that will be worthless in 3 months. So the way I play now? I find the cheapest, self found/light trading toon I can make to complete the challenges and move on. Until these changes settle down and I feel I can safely invest into a character again to try to make the push to 100 I doubt I will get that invested into the game again.

When I started playing I slowly raised the goals for myself. Get a character into maps, Get a level 80 character, get another character to 80 and I kept raising the bar for myself. One of my later goals was 2 of each class to 90. Once I hit that my plan was to finally make the push with a character to 100. It was around this time that I found myself constantly having to fix, put back together or completely scrap build ideas due to changes. Some character builds that I have had since Beta completely useless after years of play. So much time and currency invested into what is now almost average priced gear. Ohh the days of 80ex Voltaxic, Shav's...great expensive uniques like MJ, Soul Taker, Bringer of Rain, Aegis, Bino's, Legacy Cloak of Defiance, 6L Searing Touch god I can go on and on. So many builds just ripped to shreds and tabs full of gear that isn't even worth selling now. Stash tab full of 20/20 gems that used to be good that are just almost useless now. That satisfaction of being able to sit back and be done with gearing a toon is just gone. As soon as you finish the build gets wrecked and you have to start over.

There is a clear difference between builds evolving and being forced to change or just going away. I think if they would make more subtle changes and in smaller increments it would make builds seem like they are evolving and would be alot easier for most of the community to swallow and make it easier to adjust to. When we are hit with these huge lists of patch notes that have a ton of major changes all at once it just flat out destroys build. I personally prefer the way they used to handle these things. Small updates along the way by the week, some even every few days. This gives people the chance to adapt. Even if you deemed a skill needed to have it's damage reduced by 30%. If you do that all at once along with also nerfing the support gems that it is used with you end up with a build that most people won't even try to remake. Now lets say just because you were waiting for the next major patch that is in 6 months. Why not through weekly patches start by cutting the damage by 5% and see what happens? Okay it wasn't enough? Cut it by another 10% a month later. Now is it okay? maybe it is and you are actually happy with it and you didn't need to completely neuter it. It's still too strong you say? then get another 5% nerf after another month. By this time people have already forgotten the small change you made 2 months ago and they are looking at a small change in their minds, not something build breaking. It gives the players the feeling that they are the ones evolving their builds by looking for ways to gain the dps back rather than feeling like GGG forced them to abandon their build.

Anyways I got a little long winded. Great Feedback again
I'm pretty much the complete opposite. I have a growing addiction to rogue-likes and hardcore, so "permanency" is nice but not really something I look for.

To the contrary, the builds I tend to play get buffed repeatedly and I have little to no trouble updating builds. Maybe if you build around gimmicks, you should expect them to break.
"
"
I'm pretty much the complete opposite. I have a growing addiction to rogue-likes and hardcore, so "permanency" is nice but not really something I look for.

To the contrary, the builds I tend to play get buffed repeatedly and I have little to no trouble ]updating builds. Maybe if you build around gimmicks, you should expect them to break.

Don't even begin to pretend that it's only the sheep that get slaughtered when GGG perform a metashift.

I really can't think of a time I got shafted. Granted, I mostly build around rares, but I have pretty much enough currency to build whatever I want in HC if I wanted to.

That's also just completely irrelevant to me in temp leagues. Yes, yes, Incinerator/Flame Totem/Cyclone master race and all that, but I did Arc and EK last league. They were pretty effective for all that.
Last edited by DeviantLightning on Oct 10, 2015, 1:54:58 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info