My Experience Trawling Through Wraeclast (Jun 30, 2017)

What do we know about fishing from the prophecy league?

Well, there is the new unique fishing rod Reefbane

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Reefbane

It has the property "Glows when in an area with a Unique Fish".

Assume fishing is no joke. How does the he new unique help us?

A unique fish is a fish. Meaning in an area with a glowing Reefbane fishing is possible.
For me it was glowing for example in the "Mud Flats". I looked for something special there, but I found nothing.

So this Forum Post
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/795247/page/1#p6911154
Shows strange exclamation marks in the ocean.

This official Post

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/778705

has a picture with the filename "trust_me_fish_here.jpg". The player is the post is it pointing to the ocean. Both together shows very obviously, that the ocean is a place where fishing is possible.

So the question is not "where to fish" AND "how to fish" anymore. Only the "how to fish" remains.

And for the "how to fish" we have some hints:
Assume that a special combination of items is required. We know:

1. Fishing rod (weappon)
2. Slitherpinch (gloves)
3. Fairgraves' Tricorne (helm) (Here I am not sure if it is required for the fishing itself. Perhaps assuming that is is required for the fishing process is the mistake?)
4. Rot Head Talisman (amulet)

If only a special item combination is required for fishing, what else do we know?
Assume fishing was possible from the moment on, the fishing rod in it's current version was released. But when was it? Here is an official post about fishing:

This official Video (first post) shows a fishing rod

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/745469/page/1.

So we know a fishing rod existed for sure in version 1.0.5. (perhaps earlier)
What about the items connected to fishing?

Look here:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Timeline_of_unique_items

The Fairgraves helm is from Version 0.9.6 February 7, 2012, the Slitherpinch is from Version 0.9.6February 7, 2012 too.

I think the combination will be created with items released before Version 1.0.5

What about the "Rot Head Talisman". Well it is of course from the talisman league. But if it is the only one amulet which enables fishing only player which have one can fish. But why should GGG drop so many Reefbane in the current league? I think they want to give more player the chance to find out how to fish. It would make no sense if a Rot Head Talisman is required. I think the talisman was just placed in the game to help us. Without it you need to find the combination of missing:

- Amulet
- belt
- chest
- ring 1
- ring 2
- boots

With Rot Head Talisman you "just" need to find the combination of

- belt
- chest
- ring 1
- ring 2
- boots

So the talisman just reduces the possible amount of item combinations. But there should be an other unique amulet which works too.

It is still a very huge amount of combinations possible if you select belt, chest, ring 1, ring 2 and boots from items released before 1.0.5. (Only unique items from 0.9.6 does not work, because you don't get a full unique items set for all item slots with it)

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Timeline_of_unique_items

If you find out more, based on my post, please be fair and tell me and the original inventor of this forum thread about it.

Greetings
Bananajoe122

Last edited by Bananajoe122 on Aug 27, 2016, 9:49:06 AM
Very nice compilation. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread
lol ppl still talkin s***t about fishing. u dont need to use a fairgraves tricorne to drop anything. I cant remenber where did i drop mine reefbane, but it's level 82 so, i was NOT using fairgraves tric. I dont even have it in my stash or w any char really so, that makes me wonder what other lies ppl post in those troll forums about fishng. If u intend to fish in this game, prepare urself to be trolled. A LOT.

ps: would link my rod (reefbane) but i dont remenber how
Last edited by Thiagon856 on Oct 29, 2016, 4:24:36 PM
"
Drahnier123 wrote:
Very nice compilation.
But all false. If it were true, he'd be muted for disclosing fishing secrets.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
That Tricorne, though.

Interesting read. Commenting to come back and give it a more thorough examination later.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
"
Thiagon856 wrote:
lol ppl still talkin s***t about fishing. u dont need to use a fairgraves tricorne to drop anything. I cant remenber where did i drop mine reefbane, but it's level 82 so, i was NOT using fairgraves tric. I dont even have it in my stash or w any char really so, that makes me wonder what other lies ppl post in those troll forums about fishng. If u intend to fish in this game, prepare urself to be trolled. A LOT.

Thanks for pointing this out, I had forgotten to update after the Prophecy Leagues had ended. You are completely correct, Reefbane has no requirements to drop. This is why it is so common. Ziz found one out of a chest, Mathil found one from a magic pack, and TheHorus found one from an exile during the Deadly Rivalrly chain. All three were without the Tricorne. If you do manage to find the base item while not wearing the Tricorne please let me know, it is something I have yet to see happen.

"
silumit wrote:
"
Drahnier123 wrote:
Very nice compilation.
But all false. If it were true, he'd be muted for disclosing fishing secrets.

I do not want any fishing secrets, I simply want to track the history of the fishing Easter Egg in the game, and try to find as many of these items as possible. Besides with the number of Reefbane rods out there, I'm not sure the actual effect this thread will have.

"
Serleth wrote:
That Tricorne, though.

Interesting read. Commenting to come back and give it a more thorough examination later.

Welcome to the crazy that is this thread/theory. Picked a good time too, as I just finished the updates for Prophecy and Essence.
"
Thiagon856 wrote:

You DO need to be wearing Fairgraves tricorne if you want a fishing rod other than the surprisingly common Reefbane to drop. You want a Song of the Sirens to drop? Start wearing Farigraves.
U MAD?
"
Docbp87 wrote:
"
Thiagon856 wrote:

You DO need to be wearing Fairgraves tricorne if you want a fishing rod other than the surprisingly common Reefbane to drop. You want a Song of the Sirens to drop? Start wearing Farigraves.

That would be as rare as a mirror.

@ChronoExile

MonstaMunch said at the time, that The Coward's Trial doesn't have drop restrictions and said, that a SotS could drop in there. If that is true I'd say trying such cheap unique maps would be worth to figure out if rods also drop there, especially such a rare drop like

Spoiler
https://www.twitch.tv/ston3cold3
Many thanks ChronoExile for this thread. I find it very interesting, and it will be in my favourite tab to continue returning for updates, and/or contribute if I have anything related. Cheers. (◕‿◕)♡
The Gemling Queen favours 'NotACuckRoach'.

Ethaereal │ Exaltreal │ Cherrubim │ Erremes │ Khainne │ Kaelous │ Balzael