Map Changes in 2.0.4

I already posted my initial thoughts last night, but I thought I'd sleep on it and give the proposed changes in this manifesto more consideration and another chance at impressing me... and sweet baby RNGesus, it looks even worse with a fresh set of eyes. You have real issues with what end-game content you currently have, so your solution is to put a bunch of band-aids on it and call it a day. Except you're using duct tape in place of band-aids; I can tell you it will make your players even more sore when you have to remove it. Objectively speaking, not much is actually changing and probably won't have a significant long-term impact, but subjectively, it looks like the beginning of the end for PoE. The nerf to 79+ maps won't affect most players in a huge way, but it will worsen the experience of more casual players who want to make the grind to 100, at least with your current, horribly repetitive end-game. And as for the tier system, it really is a tier 1 failure... or would that be tier 15 now? I'm still laughing about how bad that idea is. Many things over the years have made me suspect that GGG is composed of more alchemists than real, pensive game developers, but now I think that it's confirmed that the GGG way (tm) is to try the first idea that pops into a developer's head and see what happens. Sure, this is much easier than really thinking about the effects a change could have on existing content and the player experience, but seriously determining and discussing the pros and cons of changes that are more that tiny number tweaks could go a long way toward improving your image (you could even run some proposed changes by a selection of highly experienced and active community members before unveiling them to everyone so as not to look so amateurish).

In short, these map "changes" change very little, but will force all existing players to adapt to some really pointless convolutions of the current map system and make the grind to level 100 (it's not called a "grind" because it's the most exciting thing in the world, mind you) even more of a grind. Honestly, even though GGG seems extremely proud of their "end-game," it will truly end the game if it remains so awfully limited and repetitive. I've made a few fake patch notes of my own below, both to provide an example of actual changes to the end-game that developers can use for inspiration and to give some of the other players devastated by this disappointing manifesto some better reading material:

Map Changes and Additional End-Game Content in 2.qq
Map Levels and Variety
Previously, our end-game map system was based on a pyramidal structure, where players had a larger number of map options at lower levels and were forced into a smaller selection of more challenging maps if they wanted increased experience gain and potentially better drops. While this system was intended to provide an opportunity to weigh the risk/reward of doing a high level map versus one of the many easier ones, in practice it ultimately made mapping feel too repetitive for a large number of players. For those wishing to grind for experience as they climbed toward level 100, the number of map tile sets that were viable for sufficiently rewarding and efficient leveling was severely limited, and even in lower maps, players often wished to only run a small subset of their favorite maps while avoiding the "bad" ones, effectively limiting the variety they saw as well.

In order to remedy the monotony players sometimes felt due to the aforementioned issues, we have decided to make specific map types not limited to a single map level, meaning players will see a greater variety of content and tile sets at all map levels, but especially at higher ones. This is akin to how Zana missions would often provide a map at a different level than was "standard" for that specific map. The content in some maps is intentionally designed to be more challenging, so individual maps will have a set range of map levels they can roll when dropped. We also wanted the content of the three original level 82 maps to be some of the most challenging in the game, so these specific maps will not be able to roll a level below 82. This means that while you won't be doing a level 70 Core Map, you might enjoy fighting the Flame of Truth in a level 78 Pier Map.

It is still possible that some players will try to mostly run a few specific map types, but we expect the vast majority of players will take this change as an opportunity to do a larger variety of maps and ultimately have a more diverse and exciting mapping experience. Maps will now drop with random levels within their individual ranges, and a trio of maps of the same type and same level can still be traded at vendors for a map one level higher, with the map type being based on the old progression.

Maps with Zana
We have received a fair amount of player feedback suggesting that Zana's missions, particularly her daily missions, often do not feel rewarding for high level characters since the map levels of the areas she provides are often lower than those of content these players would typically run. Based on the available data we've examined, we see where these players are coming from, as many of her missions provide a monster level lower than the other masters' dailies provide once they reach level 8. Since Zana's content focuses on the end-game map system, we feel that her missions should be geared more toward characters whose builds are completed to a greater extent, so the minimum,maximum, and average levels for Zana missions have all been increased slightly. For example, a level 8 Zana will tend to offer level 77 maps in her daily missions and never provide one below level 76, and can even provide a level 79 map for a daily mission, though this will be an uncommon occurrence. After this change is implemented on live servers, we will continue to examine player-generated data to determine if these values need to be tweaked.

While we are not quite yet ready to reveal our plans for future changes to Zana's signature mod, as well as the extent to which certain Zana mods can feel "mandatory" for high level maps, we would like to acknowledge that we have taken community feedback on these issues into consideration and are actively working on these issues. We hope we will be able to update the community on our progress soon.

The Sarn Arena
When we designed the Sarn Arena, we were hoping that it would provide another way for players to enjoy PvP content. However, rather than being a place for excitingly chaotic battles as a large number of players all tried to emerge as the mightiest in an epic bloodbath, our data suggest that it is actually empty most of the time. In fact, even when Leo missions involve the Sarn Arena and lead to peak occupancy of the Sarn Arena, not only is it often still relatively devoid of occupants, but players tend to cooperate to complete these missions as quickly as possible rather than engaging in actual PvP.

The Sarn Arena will therefore be re-purposed, at least for now, for an entirely new end-game activity. The new Arena mode will allow players to challenge themselves with increasingly difficult waves of monsters, providing a refreshingly different experience when a player wished to take a break from end-game maps. Players will be able to select a variety of mods at a central console in their instance of the Sarn Arena (where a shrine used to placed), with these mods affecting anything from monster type and number per wave to active effects in the Arena, such as causing specific Tempests to be active each wave. Many of these mods will also come with an additional implicit reward, such as increased item quantity or rarity, and mods may be stacked for many exciting opportunities for greater challenge and risk/reward evaluation.

While we want the Sarn Arena to feel rewarding to players, it is still our intention that end-game maps be the most viable option for experience gain and item farming. The costs of different mods will therefore be chosen so as not to be outrageous, yet still discourage players from only playing in the Arena and ignoring end-game maps altogether. Initially, the highest monster level that players will be able to face in Arena mode will be capped at 75 so as not to draw top players with endless currency away from maps when trying to achieve high character levels. We will evaluate data concerning player use of the Sarn Arena to determine which mod costs should be tweaked so that the Arena does not become problematic when we increase the experience gain it can provide in the future. We want to make sure the content we add is actually good, as players tend to view removal of even broken content as negative nerfs and are happier when it is instead improved over time in a responsible manner.

Leo dailies will, for now, only focus on different 1v1 matches. For players concerned about a reduction in PvP opportunities, we are working on a free-for-all replacement to the old Sarn Arena and will provide an update when we are further along in developing a new and improved venue.
Drawn by a haunting voice, you come to the PoE forums. It is an odd place, filled with a motley assortment of feedback... and shameless trolling. There, the whining posts are all around you, and the gamers are silent, as the grind takes ahold of them. One by one, their lives seem lost to its call.
And what about random map crashes? Has that been fixed? :P
It is because of YOU, ggg, that I don't know what the sky looks like!

Spoiler

The forum seems pretty happy with the planned changes...

Spoiler

It certainly sounds very interesting and exciting!

Spoiler

I think you missed something though...

Spoiler

Anyways, I am super pumped for 1mhcsolosf event.

Spoiler
As always I'm impressed by the balance you guy manage between polishing the game and introducing new content. Keep up the good work!
Make max lvl 99 => problem solved for those nolifers.
Higher map drops...yes!

Taking longer to level at high levels. NO!!! I honestly cannot understand the logic behind this. People tha't dont care about getting to 100 or whatever high level won't care about this change. People that do care about higher levelling (at least most I assume) would HATE this change. So WHY DO IT??? Your manifesto DID NOT given a proper explanation for the reasoning...lets look at the reason:

" Watching the intense challenge as players complete to reach this amazing accomplishment would be more fun for the community if it lasted longer."

Who the heck 'WATCHES' someone level??? Is someone watching me as I laboriously progress from 94 to 95 right now? Who is watching me? You GGG? Oh, some watch the elite players do it...ok so if noone is watching me, why should I BE AFFECTED by the 0.000001%.

Further you say its an amazing accomplishment....that suggests to me PAST tense. So its currently already amazing...why then are you changing it?

Finally, what 'intense challenge'. Its not intense at all, it's just a boring grind. Why am I personally levelling a high level char then you ask? Because I've got nothing better to do I answer. I do not like levelling new chars thru 4 acts of story over and over so that is what I'm left with.

Seriously, I'm a recently returned player, but this could well cause me to quit altogether.

nice on the maps and map drops but don't agree with most people getting to 100. from level 90 up is a pain in the azz very tough im not rich like some are and can't buy high level maps so my level 90 runs 75 maps if im lucky ill get a 76. so no the exp change is gonna suck
Talking about changing the colour of maps, if there's one thing I'd like to see changed it's the colour for divination cards - the lettering is too close to the colour for gems, and especially if you're moving really quickly it's easy to miss the difference. How about orange, or something like that?
Are you trying to appease me? ...
Spoiler
... Because it's working ;)

Drawn by a haunting voice, you come to the PoE forums. It is an odd place, filled with a motley assortment of feedback... and shameless trolling. There, the whining posts are all around you, and the gamers are silent, as the grind takes ahold of them. One by one, their lives seem lost to its call.
¬¬9

...ranks on maps... bad idea GGG.
youtube.com/c/elgamerviejuno [] twitch.tv/elgamerviejuno [] trovo.live/elgamerviejuno [] twitter.com/elgamerviejuno [] steamcommunity.com/id/elgamerviejuno

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info