POE for casual gamers

"
_kerber_ wrote:
"
AttackDingo wrote:
Seems like most of the people on this thread are missing the main point of the original post. This has degenerated into an assault on economically depressed hard core gamers and as you can see from the lack of shiny supporter accolades next to this post, I am obviously one of them. :D

Here is the point for all the people that missed it, and thought this thread was about which gamer sub-group contributes the most money to this game:

The faster you progress players from a state of "wow this game is complicated and difficult" to "wow I am just steamrolling content" the shorter the longevity of the community.

Increasing drop rates contributes to this obviously.

Many recent enemy nerfs also contribute to this. Specifically, devourer nerf, reflect nerf,enemy shotgunning nerf, etc.

The broader issue here though is an issue every online gaming community I have ever been a part of faces sooner or later. Will the game remain true to roots or will it become bland in flavor as it seeks to encompass a wider and wider audience.

After 2.0 patch game became even harder in my opinion:
Increased monster damage
Nerfed reduced mana gem (less aura)
Nerfed life leech
Some build nerfed to the ground
No shotgun mechanic
New bosses are skippable for most not high end builds.
Uber is doable only for top 1% now

Overall balance of content is fine, but whole game diversity is blocked by huge wall of required wealth. Casual gamer will never be able to craft gear for end game and try all potential of certain builds.

Sorry that is a fallacy. Despite many uniques have been referred to as "build enabling" anyone with a fair amount of experience in this game will have no problem creating any build they imagine by bargain shopping for decent rare items. I'm 95 pushing to 100 and wore cheap rares all the way into the early 90s when (because of basic currency accumulation - no GG drops) I afforded a few higher end luxury uniques that are in no way "build enabling" or even "build defining" they are simply luxury.

Shavs is not build enabling. In the case of low life builds it helps a great deal, however, you could have just capped your chaos res and bought a high es chest for a fraction of the cost of purchasing a shavs. Having a tougher build with potentially about double the es and chaos res capped seems better to me :D

Mjollnir is not build enabling - it's the opposite in fact. It's build requiring. It requires you have a massive amount of stats that you need to accommodate in gear or on tree in places where you could have other useful things. Not to say it's not awesome to have and allows you to avoid having to use cast on crit or cast on melee kill or some other trigger gem to achieve the desired effect, but its not needed.

Don't kid yourself - if you are not advancing in this game it's not because of your drops, it's because of your build and your ability.

Play temp leagues so you don't have to use an established wealth gated economy as an excuse.

Better yet - how about you describe just one build that you want to try that you cannot try because of the tier 1 uniques and/or "end game crafting" you speak of. Then we can explain how to achieve it with efficient low budget solutions.
"
AttackDingo wrote:

Sorry that is a fallacy. Despite many uniques have been referred to as "build enabling" anyone with a fair amount of experience in this game will have no problem creating any build they imagine by bargain shopping for decent rare items. I'm 95 pushing to 100 and wore cheap rares all the way into the early 90s when (because of basic currency accumulation - no GG drops) I afforded a few higher end luxury uniques that are in no way "build enabling" or even "build defining" they are simply luxury.

Shavs is not build enabling. In the case of low life builds it helps a great deal, however, you could have just capped your chaos res and bought a high es chest for a fraction of the cost of purchasing a shavs. Having a tougher build with potentially about double the es and chaos res capped seems better to me :D

Mjollnir is not build enabling - it's the opposite in fact. It's build requiring. It requires you have a massive amount of stats that you need to accommodate in gear or on tree in places where you could have other useful things. Not to say it's not awesome to have and allows you to avoid having to use cast on crit or cast on melee kill or some other trigger gem to achieve the desired effect, but its not needed.

Don't kid yourself - if you are not advancing in this game it's not because of your drops, it's because of your build and your ability.

Play temp leagues so you don't have to use an established wealth gated economy as an excuse.

Better yet - how about you describe just one build that you want to try that you cannot try because of the tier 1 uniques and/or "end game crafting" you speak of. Then we can explain how to achieve it with efficient low budget solutions.

Well spoken, sir - have my +1 and a virtual pint *clink*
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"

You spend more points and can't reserve all your life like with shavs. It is luxury, because low life is still not the same as with a shavs.
Last edited by chromafunk on Sep 3, 2015, 10:15:28 AM
Yes OP we get it. Your a big boy and you only play games for big boys. Just make sure you come down for dinner when your called.
or you could wait and see how it turns out before QQ'ing over things you don't about yet.

And even if you're right and it makes it easy to get t1 gear... so the fuck what? What difference is it to you what gear people get?

By the way.. what is a casual gamer? How many hours a day or week is the breaking point between casual and.. whatever it is that you seem to think deserves better treatment?

I never get far but I keep coming back. Been around since beta and if I was rich I'd throw all my money at GGG.

boop
"
ElChivoDiablo wrote:

A coworker of mine started the new D3 season and in ONE WEEKEND had a 96 paragon level with full set of legendaries and face tanks everything with no challenge (while helping about 10 other people hit level cap). Show me one example of someone starting a new league in PoE where in the same timeframe they have the most GG rares/uniques, hit level 100 and facetank everything in the game.

POE and D3 aren't comparable in any of the situations you mention,level cap,build/item acquisition/requirements,distribution of those items and lastly challenge,particularly how a player accesses that challenge.

Chalk and cheese mate.

Facerolling T10 in diablo 3 is only comparable to facerolling merciless act 4,neither being a huge accomplishment in one weekend.

=)

"
Temper wrote:
"
ElChivoDiablo wrote:

A coworker of mine started the new D3 season and in ONE WEEKEND had a 96 paragon level with full set of legendaries and face tanks everything with no challenge (while helping about 10 other people hit level cap). Show me one example of someone starting a new league in PoE where in the same timeframe they have the most GG rares/uniques, hit level 100 and facetank everything in the game.

POE and D3 aren't comparable in any of the situations you mention,level cap,build/item acquisition/requirements,distribution of those items and lastly challenge,particularly how a player accesses that challenge.

Chalk and cheese mate.

Facerolling T10 in diablo 3 is only comparable to facerolling merciless act 4,neither being a huge accomplishment in one weekend.

=)

I don't know as much about D3 since I don't play it, but I would probably agree that they are not similar as you said. But people are saying "PoE for casuals hurr durr, D3ification hurr durr".

Not the same game. PoE is not D3 and is not turning into it.
"
ElChivoDiablo wrote:

Not the same game. PoE is not D3 and is not turning into it.

That I most certainly agree with.
"
respwnd wrote:
or you could wait and see how it turns out before QQ'ing over things you don't about yet.

And even if you're right and it makes it easy to get t1 gear... so the fuck what? What difference is it to you what gear people get?

By the way.. what is a casual gamer? How many hours a day or week is the breaking point between casual and.. whatever it is that you seem to think deserves better treatment?

It's not an amount of time - it's a state of mind. You can be hc gamer and play 2 hours a week. If you complain about the game's difficulty and think you deserve a prize just because you tried - you are a casual. If you like the idea of conquering seemingly insurmountable odds and are determined to succeed despite any challenges the game can throw at you - and welcome harder challenges - you are hc.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info