POE for casual gamers

Play Hardcore leagues.

"
"
HighTime wrote:

Keep making updates for casual gamers who don't give a damn (and by the way don't give you dime) while your real supporters stop buying supporter packs.

You really stepped in it with that one, youngun.

Logic. You're about to get a faceful of it. Get the tissues ready -- whether for said logic or the tears, I don't really care.

Casual gamers don't play as much or as intensely as hardcore gamers. Why? USUALLY because they have other things going on in their life. Let's assume one of those things is this little thing we call 'work'. When people 'work', they make 'money'. They then use this 'money' to support themselves and their loved ones if need be. This can come in the form of necessities, like food and domicile upkeep, but it can also come in the form of entertainment and pleasure. People who 'work' are very happy to put 'money' into things they enjoy. They know it's going to a good cause for them and it makes them feel like their money is not being wasted. The caual gamer supports Path of Exile not because the game does this or that, but simply because they enjoy what it does, what it is, and how it's done.

Hardcore gamers play a lot more than casual gamers. We can assume that this PROBABLY means they don't 'work' as much and, by law of averages, probably don't have as much 'money'. There are, of course, spikes, such as myself, but everyone knows I'm the exception to just about every rule, even the smart ones. So hardcore gamers who care about things like drop rates and trading for hours on end, who take this shit very seriously because let's face it, they don't have much else in their lives to take seriously, especially not 'work', are definitely harder to please and have less 'money'. This means that they're far less apt to support because, well, they have to eat too. On the other hand, they're also far more likely to threaten not to support UNLESS the developers do this or that because, being hardcore gamers with less 'money' because they don't 'work', they have an inflated sense of their own financial clout. What might be a pittance to a casual gamer who 'works' could be a week's food money to a hardcore gamer who doesn't.

Simply put, casual gamers are far more likely to support for superficial/moral reasons and to support more because they HAVE MORE MONEY TO CONTRIBUTE BECAUSE THEY HAVE LIVES THAT INCLUDE WORK WHICH GIVES THEM MONEY. Hardcore gamers, on the other hand, are usually fucking pennypinchers because it's typically impossible to be a hardcore gamer *and* make good money on a regular basis. They're the ones who think their fucking ten or twenty dollars is somehow going to sway GGG into doing what they want. L O fucking L.

Now I'm not saying you don't have a job or a life. Hell, I'm not even saying you're a hardcore gamer. That's all on you. I am saying, however, that to be a 'hardcore gamer' of this game, given the game is already way fucking hardcore from the get-go, you really do need to be in a position where full-time employment isn't very likely...unless all you do is work an 8 hour stint then come home and play PoE for 8 hours a day, in which case I'd think you'd support anyway simply because you'd realise you're getting a pretty sweet deal as far as hours of entertainment vs financial commitment.

I refuse to believe anyone with a job, ongoing financial commitments, family, something resembling a social life and a penchant for oldschool ARPGs would look at PoE and see anything but good value worth supporting. And that right there is your 'casual gamer'.

That's your Diaternals.

This. I have about 315 hours into this game stating from this feburary, I'm not able to sit and no-life it because I work to support by brother and father and I play more than just PoE when I get home. I dont have much to support but I do what I can.

Hell what even consitutes a harcore gamer? I play almost exclusively hardcore self-found because I find the challenge fun. I havent been able to beat A4 yet because it takes me about 10-14 hours of play to get there per character and I normally play like 2-3 characters through the game at a time. I can even tell you all 3 of my A4 deaths
1. Flame dash was cancelled by a crit-charge which nearly one-shot me because I didn't have enough tank. That delayed my escape so I died.
2. Accidentally alt-tabbed while fighting. ded
3. Forgot burning man explodes. remembered to late. Boom 800/900 hp and ignite burned the last 100 in like 1/3 of a second.
Current character now has 1.2k hp, about 1.1kdps and 100% in each res. so hopefully this will be the guy :)
Not my real account anymore, use it for forums while I work
You might also know me as "Thisisnotmyrealaccount" to which I forgot the E-mail for.
My real account is Einkil1, it's my steam account which is why I can't access it at work >.>
"
AttackDingo wrote:

First of all, thanks for all the attention you gave me - people rarely pay so much attention to the things that I post on here. Secondly, thank you for pointing out - at each quote - that these items are not needed for any of these builds they are just convenient in that their effects are contained in one item and that their effects may be more potent. The word enabling comes from the word enable: (found this on google for you)

verb

1. give (someone or something) the authority or means to do something "the evidence would enable us to arrive at firm conclusions" synonyms: allow, permit, let, give the means, equip, ... more antonyms: prevent
2. make (a device or system) operational; activate

Without an enabling item you would not be able to do something. To call any of those items you mentioned enabling is false. What you are really saying apparently is "I don't want to go through the trouble of figuring out how to achieve my build with what I can afford - instead I want to drop an item that does all that for me".

When you say things like I wanna weild two void battery wands I say - work toward it, cool story, but two void batteries are not required to enable any build. That's pure luxury - damage upon damage that should be sufficient already if your build is decent. If you can't steamroll content with arc go back to the drawing board.

As far as what makes a casual a casual - you opinion here is null. Casual is what WE call players like YOU. You don't get to define it, sorry. If you feel like you fit both of those categories then you should probably have an honest moment with yourself and remember how you just mentioned "theory crafting gear I will probably never own". That kind of defeatist attitude is exactly what separates people like you from people like me.

Holy shit this is gold. Please keep talking you are making my work day very fun. Keep on stroking your E-Peen. My voyeurism is kicking in something feirce right now
Not my real account anymore, use it for forums while I work
You might also know me as "Thisisnotmyrealaccount" to which I forgot the E-mail for.
My real account is Einkil1, it's my steam account which is why I can't access it at work >.>
"
"
HighTime wrote:

BTW, to those who said I was lacking credibility because I was saying that D3 is a casual game while I'm not playing it obviously can't read between the lines. The fact that I'm not playing the game doesn't imply that I've never played it before.

To help you figure it out I'll give you an example :

I don't play football because it's too violent

The fact that I don't play football because it happens to be too violent for my taste doesn't mean I've never played football before.

:)

A similar argument runs 'I don't need to wade through a sewer to know it's filthy.'

It's true, but you still exaggerated far too greatly (this one change does NOT make PoE as casual as D3 and I think you know it) not to be pulled up on it.

Technically this game actually makes it worth less to be hardcore.

After finally grinding it out and everything coming together and all of my drops coming true and getting loot drops.

I can now sell my T1 item to next to nothing compared to the effort took to get there, my e-peen means nothing since everything is too cheap for a hardcore player but just pricey for a casual.

Why even bother going all the way to the end if hardcore isn't even "hardcore" anymore. Any last bastion and reason why a player continue to keep grinding and playing after beating merc act 4 or past 78 maps dries up when all the reward for going that far is like 1/100th of a mirror item (shavs 30 exalts before, now like less then 10).

If we where to make top end game items accessible to nearly anyone with some farm might as well balance the game around level 100 for seasons and remove mapping resources while your at it.

I'm surprised there are no post about the increasingly "lack" of hardcore end games to do theses days, azitri is a joke now to farm, maps eventually wouldn't be a map system, and now items will be brought down to such accessible levels that there's really no point in continue farming them for more profits. It's not like you can use the much lower funds to buy any other item anyway.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Sep 3, 2015, 9:24:43 PM
Casual here.

Paid for a supporter pack because this game is fun as heck and I don't even feel the increased drop rate. Earning currency is fun as well as self-found rares/stuff I'm using. Heck even Mal knows I need my gear upgraded at this point though since I'm about to hit level 50 soon...

I left D3 for this game and felt it to be a wise decision.
"
HighTime wrote:
"
Rjakh wrote:
At first I was laughing to "4x0=0". But math is not simple like that in this situation.
4x drop rate means low prices up to 1/4 of old ones. Getting high-end items easier just kills the purpose of game. Where's the fun when random casual player can have the same build without too much effort?
You can see the effect of your "4x0" already. Everyone tries to sells something because it's probably gonna lose it's value but no one buys them. And because of no one buys them, prices are already destroyed. Even a poor man like me can buy a mjölner and shav's...

Who plays this game because of graphics or soundtracks or combat or story?
Where all the fun is, the complex economy/loot/craft system which gives players a purpose.

I am quite new on PoE. But this game gave me "the ambition" to be a high-end player. A feeling I didn't have for years, even on real life. Now it's all gone.

Also the casuals who say "we have a life!!!11". If you have a social life, partner and children what are you even doing here? Why would you care about a damn orange texted virtual hammer? You say you don't have time for farming but you can write wall-of-texts which no1 cares about?
The thing you are lacking is not the "time", it is "patience". Most of you just keep checking your emails and forums while sitting in office. Doesn't sound like hardworking or social life to me. Stop lying to yourself. You will be a lot happier that way, I guarantee it.

This

This isn't about us having a life, this is about the aberretion that are games requiring players to not have one. As much as I can understand some games being a lot harder than others, or offering different amounts of playtime to completion, exaggerated time requirements is clearly unhealthy game design.
"

All I get from you is you don't want casuals in your HC game. That we should go be with our social lives, partners and kids 24/7 and never have any of this fun. I bet you're probably thinking, 'well, this HC stuff is for us poor no-lifers, those people with social lives, partners and kids need to stop rubbing it in our faces and appreciate what they got' or some such bullshit.

Oh, but they do want casuals. If there were no casuals, who would they complain about and feel superior to?

This "casual - hardcore" distinction is very funny. When I was younger, I was completely obsessed with DotA, played tens of thousands of hours of it and was pretty good at some point. Including winning tournaments and stuff. And I would always feel annoyed when someone said I was a "pro" or "hardcore". Stupid, empty words. You either enjoy what you do or you don't. Everything else is nonsense.

And using them for a sandbox-type game, not a strictly competitive PvP one, is beyind ridiculous.

Food for thought: Let us look at two people. We have guy A, let's call him Etvoc, who is a PoE playing machine. He rapes the game in each new league. Top of the ladder, bestest new builds, a fucking deity among plebes. It is, of course, a bit unhealthy to do so. It also requires a lot of work, concentration, effort... We can safely assume Etvoc is not actually enjoying the process that much most of the time. He certainly feels a sense of accomplishment when he hits 100 first, but the actual process went by in a daze of fanatical grinding.

Then we have gal B, say, Casual_Bunny_98. She logs in for a few hours every day to play with her cyclone cast on crit lightning warp witch who also uses flameblast and bear trap cause it's really funny to catch a boss in the trap and flameblast him.

She dies often in Act 3 Merciless, but he managed to get there. She is tremendously happy about her progress. She squeals in delight when she sees a vendor unique drop. She might have sold her Mjolner drop for 3 chaos because she didn't like it, but she certainly enjoyed the many thanks she received from the buyer. She is nice and friendly with everyone ingame and they are generally nice in return. She really enjoys playing PoE. It's a blast.

Who's the better player?

I know who I'd prefer to be.

The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Sep 4, 2015, 5:48:02 AM
"
RagnarokChu wrote:
"
"
HighTime wrote:

BTW, to those who said I was lacking credibility because I was saying that D3 is a casual game while I'm not playing it obviously can't read between the lines. The fact that I'm not playing the game doesn't imply that I've never played it before.

To help you figure it out I'll give you an example :

I don't play football because it's too violent

The fact that I don't play football because it happens to be too violent for my taste doesn't mean I've never played football before.

:)

A similar argument runs 'I don't need to wade through a sewer to know it's filthy.'

It's true, but you still exaggerated far too greatly (this one change does NOT make PoE as casual as D3 and I think you know it) not to be pulled up on it.

Technically this game actually makes it worth less to be hardcore.

After finally grinding it out and everything coming together and all of my drops coming true and getting loot drops.

I can now sell my T1 item to next to nothing compared to the effort took to get there, my e-peen means nothing since everything is too cheap for a hardcore player but just pricey for a casual.

Why even bother going all the way to the end if hardcore isn't even "hardcore" anymore. Any last bastion and reason why a player continue to keep grinding and playing after beating merc act 4 or past 78 maps dries up when all the reward for going that far is like 1/100th of a mirror item (shavs 30 exalts before, now like less then 10).

If we where to make top end game items accessible to nearly anyone with some farm might as well balance the game around level 100 for seasons and remove mapping resources while your at it.

I'm surprised there are no post about the increasingly "lack" of hardcore end games to do theses days, azitri is a joke now to farm, maps eventually wouldn't be a map system, and now items will be brought down to such accessible levels that there's really no point in continue farming them for more profits. It's not like you can use the much lower funds to buy any other item anyway.

Why should someone farm shavs in 78+ maps? The rewards for doing so are already fucking low. There are better ways ;)

@the guy with the football-argument: When you played football in the 70s and 80s and you quit because it was too violent, you were right to say so. But if you say it now, with your "gained wisdom" of the 70s and 80s, you are looking like a jester. Just because in 2015, football is a totally different game.

But go on. This discussion is golden. And charan clearly is in Pentakill-Mode ....
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
funny how all those ''hardcore'' players in this thread have less then half of the challenges completed. Such ''casuals'' :D
I find the hardcore verses casuals debate to be the old Goldilocks conundrum of the "not too hard, not to soft, but just right" level of play and drops in PoE. There is no way ever that any game developer can satisfy everyones checklist for the ideal arpg. Impossible and we all know it. That being true then GGG has to walk the tightrope and try to make PoE as appealing and fun to play for the majority of players. If original PoE 2.0 was perfect for a few percent of the total players and the rest were dieing right and left to Merciless Act 4 bosses then in was only correct for GGG to lower their damage. If playing PoE for 1000s of hours and not getting any high value rewards (no great gear drops) then we are likely to quit out of frustration and be left with a feeling of "what's the point to all this time playing, I don't get squat for rewards". So GGG has to take the mountain of feedback and other stats and try to balance PoE for the greater majority of players (or at least they should be doing this). That doesn't mean that GGG has to go to the extreme that Blizzard did with D3. It only means that if playing PoE is unrewarding to the max for a majority of players and we quit then GGG has lost us and needs to ease off on their hard right course they have taken PoE and move more toward the middle. It doesn't mean that GGG is going way left of center the way D3 is into the very casual end of the spectrum. Only that a course correction was warranted from all the intel they learned from The Awakening statistics and feedback.

I play PoE and D3 and right now I'm playing season 4 in D3 with my 2 BFF and I can easily state that no one should ever fear or claim that PoE is going the way of D3. Our trio is on the hardest setting allowed (not into Inferno yet) and we're mowing though all content and bosses are dying in under 10 seconds and we all wish that the difficulty slider could go higher. Contrast that with PoE and our trio summer play of 2013 stopped after 4 months because my 2 casual arpg friends were not getting the rewards for time played that was necessary to keep them interested in playing PoE plus desync was too much for them to handle (thank god it's finally gone). At this time I find it ironic that for the same reason they stopped play PoE (not enough rewards for time played) the exact opposite happened in Torchlight II with boredom burnout from too much high quality loot (set items dropped too often). I had to solo to the end of TL2 and have many PoE builds beyond the end of Merciless. My 2 friends didn't finish TL2 or PoE main game.

Hightime is one of the few PoE players that I can place in the no-lifer or masochist catagory of PoE players (no disrespect intended). He is in the minority of total players and thus can complain all he wants that GGG is watering down PoE to please casuals. But the truth is that for a long time now PoE has gone too far to cater to the hardcore extremists and a course correction was necessary. Patch 2.0.3 is that course correction. I applaud GGG for steering the PoE ship back toward the center (every little bit helps).

"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info