GGG forums suck.

Anyone been to the GGG website recently? It specifically lists looking for a web developer to update and maintain the website (which I'm sure includes the forums).

Problem with being based in NZ is finding people with rights/work visas to work for a NZ company. Talented web developers with an eye for pleasing the extremely critical userbase that is online gamers? Not that huge of a career demand here in kiwiland.
You believe that to defeat an enemy who will stop at nothing, you must stop at nothing. How is that different than "blood must have blood"?
Last edited by ohaither on Sep 2, 2015, 6:53:13 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
You know what never is said to suck? Things virtually no one cares about.
Pretty much everything else receives criticism.

imho there never was a problem with criticism towards the game, it's just the tone which matters. and too often got out of hand.

too many players seem to come to the forum just to vent their frustration without any argument.
deleting or altering this crap is not good because of free speech or creating alot of misunderstandings as well as leaving a bad taste of "shown forum moderation power".

if i were to design this forum i would create a "whining corner" section and resolutely move all these posts/threads there unaltered, so feedback and general discussion actually contain posts with arguments to make the game better.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
ohaither wrote:
Problem with being based in NZ is finding people with rights/work visas to work for a NZ company. Talented web developers with an eye for pleasing the extremely critical userbase that is online gamers? Not that huge of a career demand here in kiwiland.

i still remember the story of a british couple wanting to move from britain to nz because the bloke got a job as marine diver but she was refused to immigrate because she was considered "too fat". was in the newspapers and made up for a good laugh.

even if the nz government would heavily invest in better it-infrastructure and job opportunities in the it-sector, who wants to go there when it's mandatory to open your and your families medical records towards authorities which has it's head in the back side of the american (we want to know it all) government?

building a nation of only strong and healthy humans, we had that thinking in germany not so long ago, was considered un-human.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
LOL, I certainly wasn't trying to start a debate on questionable NZ immigration practices. I was just pointing out that wanting and needing to improve something is not always as simple as "just do it". There are usually always extenuating circumstances that can make an apparently simple task more difficult than it appears on the surface.
You believe that to defeat an enemy who will stop at nothing, you must stop at nothing. How is that different than "blood must have blood"?
Just realised after posting this my forum signature is deleted.

Thanks.

It was "Probation for speaking the truth but mods don't give a fuck."
I am sending you this message to let you know that I have removed your signature as it is designed to mislead others. Please refrain from using similar signatures in the future. - Rob_GGG
I do miss when I used to actually come to the forums and look forward to browsing threads. That was ages ago though. I think this is my first post in about a month, which goes to show how little they keep me interested nowadays.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
"
I do miss when I used to actually come to the forums and look forward to browsing threads. That was ages ago though. I think this is my first post in about a month, which goes to show how little they keep me interested nowadays.

You have over 5k posts, mate. Any forum will get old at some point. You will start recognizing patterns and see certain subjects being repeated over and over and over again... It can't always be fresh and interesting.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Sep 5, 2015, 6:52:12 AM
"
"
Bars wrote:
"

You have over 5k posts, mate. Any forum will get old at some point. You will start recognizing patterns and see certain subjects being repeated over and over and over again... It can't always be fresh and interesting.

I fucking dread to think what that says about me...

But Clive does have a point. General Discussion visibly slows down when I stop posting. You can see when I've first logged on for the day because I'll have responded to half the first page and that'll barely move after that.

These fora aren't dead but they've lost whatever real fire they ever had. And I ain't blaming Support or the rules or the moderation for that. I think it was just always what was going to happen once the community itself starting seeing the official forum as a waste of time. Dev visibility on reddit is much higher (but deceptively so), and like or not, a fair proportion of the current PoE community has very little trust in the devs anyway.

Without that, what is this forum but an endless pendulum swinging between so-called 'white knight' posts and so-called 'troll' responses, and vice versa?

I can always go back to posting badly cribbed together song ripoffs with vague allusions to POE mechanics and characters.

Not sure how that would improve things, but it would at least cut into some of my masturbation time.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
My complaints about the forum on a technical level is the absence of a notification when somebody mentions you or quotes one of your posts, and the lack of a point system, where you can upvote a comment you like.

Other than that, no complains over techincal issues. I do not like the moderation though. I beleive it should have been far stricter on anything else but offtopic. Too much rage, too much derailing, too much antagonising, and of course 1 billion threads about the same issue. The last part especially is very annoying. Mods should merge similar topics.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
"
"
Bars wrote:
"

I fucking dread to think what that says about me...

But Clive does have a point. General Discussion visibly slows down when I stop posting. You can see when I've first logged on for the day because I'll have responded to half the first page and that'll barely move after that.

These fora aren't dead but they've lost whatever real fire they ever had. And I ain't blaming Support or the rules or the moderation for that. I think it was just always what was going to happen once the community itself starting seeing the official forum as a waste of time. Dev visibility on reddit is much higher (but deceptively so), and like or not, a fair proportion of the current PoE community has very little trust in the devs anyway.

Without that, what is this forum but an endless pendulum swinging between so-called 'white knight' posts and so-called 'troll' responses, and vice versa?

It says you are amazingly dedicated. About the forums, I do blame support/GGG. I think they are systematically neglecting the forums and I disagree with the moderation in particular although I can see that Poutsos wants more of what I think is overboard as it is, so who knows...
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Sep 5, 2015, 9:17:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info